Yamaha FJ-09 revealed

the_undecider_imp said:
I'm doomed! I really like that triple and this will do pretty much everything I want. This may not bode well for my bank account...
I'm with you there, seems like it would be an excellent do it all bike other than offroading. Looks better than the FZ09 to me.
 
Like most "adventure style" bikes, not so easy on the eyes but better than most of that ilk. I like it. It would make an excellent sport tourer I think. Just hope Yamaha has cured the throttle snatch and chain tensioner problems in the engine.

New R1 also announced that comes loaded for bear. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the new Ducati and BMW sport bikes.
 
I think with traction control, power modes, and ABS, this will be much more civilized than the FZ09. I am glad they didn't put a beak on the front end. This is not an ADV bike which the shorter suspension travel and street tires bear this out. I think a set of 90/10 ADV tires like the Pirelli Scorpion Trails would be well suited to this bike and make it a fine mount for occasional jaunts onto gravel or just beat up tarmac.

As much as I really like this bike, it makes little sense for me to get one right now. They will be hard to find in dealerships which means fewer good deals. Add to the $10,500 base price another $1000 for the factory side cases and I am looking at $12k+. Assuming I could squeeze $7k out of the CB, I'm short $5k. For that much, I could finish farkling my bike and have money left to buy a nice used supermoto or dual sport.
 
After seeing the FJ09 in person, I am pretty smitten. The want for this bike is strong! I thing I would buy it in a second if I didn't or didn't love the CB so much. It's a strong enough desire to have me considering selling the CB...but the voice of reason seems to be prevailing, I think.

After coming back to this thread and reading my last post, I still can't justify it. It's not as much about the money as it is that I really want to hold on to the CB and don't want to have 2 bigger bikes. I also have bought a supermoto as I mentioned and like the 2 bike strategy. I'm already getting a little bored with a 250 and looking for a light nimble bike in the 500-700 cc range. I'm may spend up to $7000, so I'm well into a nicely farkled FJ-09 when you add in what the CB is worth. I keep coming back to the FJ despite what I've already said above. I know it would do everything I want to do on a bike. Dang it, what to do..
 
I read 33" seat height. That is too tall for short inseam me, otherwise I would be on it rather than restoring my K75RT BMW.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I find this bike very interesting as a possible stablemate for my CB, the price is very competitive compared to the new Honda Crossrunner which is it's natural competitor over here with a saving of £2000.
 
I like the red one. Great motor. Upgraded long suspension for these tired norther USA roads. Wind screen looks like it makes sense. Sensible electronics. I'm not looking for a new bike with it's new insurance costs, but I like it. If I had the money or was younger and had more years to pay off the loan before retirement stared me in the face, I'd go for it. It's more multi purpose and more of a long ranger than the CB11 is. For me though, I'm old enough that the CB is simply my style of motorcycle. If you like it, thumbs up here.
 
Thread starter
My dealer is supposed to have one on the floor Tuesday. I will ride down and take a look at it. Have no desire to own one at this time , and if the seat height really is 33" that could be a deal killer at any rate, but it's worth a look on a cold winters day.
 
I'm really going to have to resist taking a test ride if offered the chance. This bike fits me well as I am 6'1" and long legged. I seriously have no need for a sport touring bike, but this is pushing my buttons. I figure the more money I sink into the CB, the harder it will be to sell it. As such, I just ordered new rear shocks. Yes, spending money on my bike seems to be a sound approach.
 
Back
Top