Star Bolt C Spec Cafe

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Yamaha Announces 2015 Star Bolt C-Spec, as Well as Bullet Cowl Raider and Stryker « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

This has my attention. I have been toying with the idea of a cafe style bike and for some reason keep wanting to build my own around an older Virago or V star. I saw this new model of Bolt yesterday and really like it.

Looks like they put longer forks and shocks for better lean angle. It looks like the ergos might be a bit tight for long legged creatures such as myself, but such a bike isn't meant for long distances.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Yamaha Announces 2015 Star Bolt C-Spec, as Well as Bullet Cowl Raider and Stryker « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

This has my attention. I have been toying with the idea of a cafe style bike and for some reason keep wanting to build my own around an older Virago or V star. I saw this new model of Bolt yesterday and really like it.

Looks like they put longer forks and shocks for better lean angle. It looks like the ergos might be a bit tight for long legged creatures such as myself, but such a bike isn't meant for long distances.
Why not your CB1100? I think they are a perfect platform for cafe styling.
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
Yamaha Announces 2015 Star Bolt C-Spec, as Well as Bullet Cowl Raider and Stryker « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

This has my attention. I have been toying with the idea of a cafe style bike and for some reason keep wanting to build my own around an older Virago or V star. I saw this new model of Bolt yesterday and really like it.

Looks like they put longer forks and shocks for better lean angle. It looks like the ergos might be a bit tight for long legged creatures such as myself, but such a bike isn't meant for long distances.
Why not your CB1100? I think they are a perfect platform for cafe styling.
Why not your CB1100? I think they are a perfect platform for cafe styling.
I agree, the CB looks great in cafe form, but I want to retain the factory styling aside from a few minor mods. I love the bike as-is.

I also do not want to plunk down over $8k for the new Star. I would have to sell my CB to buy one. I don't think I want it that bad, but who knows what the future holds. I would prefer to hold on to my Honda and find a cheap old beater to turn into a cafe. I decided that multiple bikes may be my way forward to alleviate boredom or feeling limited by one bike with one purpose.
 
The CB is a heck of a lot better cafe platform than the bolt, the stance on that thing is just not right for it. Looks like the back end needs to come up a few inches to get rake to a more suitable level for cornering...not sure where that would leave you in terms of trail. That v twin won't have the lungs to breath at the upper end like a proper cafe bike should.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
grover_imp said:
The CB is a heck of a lot better cafe platform than the bolt, the stance on that thing is just not right for it. Looks like the back end needs to come up a few inches to get rake to a more suitable level for cornering...not sure where that would leave you in terms of trail. That v twin won't have the lungs to breath at the upper end like a proper cafe bike should.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't disagree with you, but sometimes what you like is irrational. I like the look of this bike and I think the riding position suits me. I just don't like the traditional cruiser riding position. I took a beach cruiser bike with the big, wide bars and put low rise bars for the same reason. It is still a slow, docile handling bike with crappy braking and just one gear, but the slightly tucked riding position makes it feel faster. Probably not the safest thing to ride quickly with just a rear coaster brake...but danger us my middle name, at least it is in the picture shows.
 
I like the peg position of that Bolt but not the bars. If I was a Bolt owner, I'd be all over the nearest Yammy parts desk looking for those pegs and levers.
 
Thread starter
I finally got to see a C-Spec in person. It's a good looking bike. Then, I sat on it. The bars feel nice, but the repositioned pegs are awkward. They aren't true rearsets. They are more of a standard position. My lower back and hips felt too scrunched up. If the pegs were another 3 inch back, I would like it. Also, my right knee bumps the air box cover, an annoyance most v-twin cruisers are plagued with.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I finally got to see a C-Spec in person. It's a good looking bike. Then, I sat on it. The bars feel nice, but the repositioned pegs are awkward. They aren't true rearsets. They are more of a standard position. My lower back and hips felt too scrunched up. If the pegs were another 3 inch back, I would like it. Also, my right knee bumps the air box cover, an annoyance most v-twin cruisers are plagued with.
After riding the standard, I could not go to a cruiser stance as much as I thought I liked the cruiser stance. I came close to buying a Kingpin and it is a beautiful bike but handling is much better on the standards like the CB. With the CB I can lock knees comfortably around the tank and become part of the bike and vice versa and she goes where I think about going as if she is plugged into my head, anyone else?
 
I built this from a Ryca kit a few years back. Cost of the used Suzuki was $1500 and the Ryca kit was a breeze to put together, well thought out. The little Zuk was a blast to ride, especially considering how much weight was shed from the original cruiser fittings but my old body would not let me enjoy it for more than 30 miles or so. Sold it.

e48b3a650239563b4fda73c452517950.jpg


a97b295c699bcc45e7b1bc727b80923c.jpg


439967ea5dcfb47ed704a5b741ec6aae.jpg
 
Thread starter
Those Ryca kits are cool. I like their street tracker model. It just seems the kit is pretty pricey, especially once you figure the optional parts and cost of a donor LS650/S40.

Some of the Yard Built Star Bolt custom builds are neat.

If I possessed the garage space, tools, and talent, I'd build my own custom. I really like the aesthetics of the 60° Yamaha v-twin in the old Virago and would like something built from one of those.
 
Back
Top