Wow close one.

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok so I go for a ride, stop at the dealers to check on my new bike, then decided to go visit my brother for a cup of hot tea. Jump on freeway, go west about 20 miles and peel off on my brothers exit. The exit is a 1 lane right hand curve, a little straightaway, then opening up to 3 lanes curving to the left. To go different directions where it meets the State Rt.

So I sweep thru the right hander a little over 50 mph and straighten up for the straight away. Ahead of me cars are dodging..and then I see why, there is a car coming straight DOWN the entrance ramp at 50 mph. I dodge right and get on the brakes hard. He goes past me on the left, and I look in the left rear view. Now the cars behind me are dodging, and he is not hitting his brakes at all. Don't know what he did when he hit the ( for him) left hand curve at the bottom and found himself facing 3 lanes of oncoming freeway traffic.

I didn't hear any crash noises and continued on to my brothers house thankful that things worked out for me this time, and hopeful that things worked out for the wrong way driver as well.

Ride safe out there!
 
Wow! Good on you for avoiding what could have been a very bad ending. What the hell's wrong with people any more? Going the wrong way on freeway ramps seems to be occurring way too often anymore!
 
Wow. At this point I'd suspect its time for that person to forfeit their licence.
 
What to say! Well handled ferret you were obviously on your game. Never good to have your mind in neutral while on the road either on bike or 4 wheels because surprises are bound to happen. Hard not to at times. We are, after all, human.

Stay safe and cheers.
 
Jeez the wrong way......you just don't expect THAT! Good job avoiding all of that chaos! That would scare the crap out of me. I had sort of a close encounter myself today though not THAT close. I was riding down a main two lane street in town going by a truck stop when all the sudden an 18 wheeler started to pull out of the truck stop in front of me! I hit both brakes and chirped the rear tire. He stopped and I went around without any problems. After I passed the truck stop intersection I thought why in the world would he start to pull out on me like that and then I looked down and saw my right blinker still on from the previous turn!!!:blush:(older motorcycle) He thought I was turning in the truck stop and was just making his move to beat the traffic. I have REALLY got to come up with a way to remember to turn off those blinkers...very dangerous! Maybe just keep my finger on the switch until I done.
 
Thread starter
You hear about people going the wrong way on ramps and freeways and it almost always ends badly. Usually older confused people. Never thought I'd see it though.

Robo..keep your thumb on that button after starting the blinker and punch it as soon as you've made the turn, until it becomes second nature. Heck I'm punching that button even if I haven't turned the blinker on lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
You hear about people going the wrong way on ramps and freeways and it almost always ends badly. Usually older confused people. Never thought I'd see it though.

Robo..keep your thumb on that button after starting the blinker and punch it as soon as you've made the turn, until it becomes second nature. Heck I'm punching that button even if I haven't turned the blinker on lol
Thanks for the advice...Making it a habit where its second nature and I don't have to try and remember it is what I've got to do!
 
Glad you weren't hurt Mickey. I hope no one else was either.

On my commute to work this past Thursday, I had a close call myself. A guy blew a stop sign and came close to taking me out. Fortunately I saw it coming and was able to avoid a bad ending.

Stay alert out there folks.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all, and glad everyone who had close calls this week came through unscathed.

As the weather breaks and we all start hitting the roads more, remember people are not used to seeing us yet, and some never do... so like Guth said..stay alert
 
Ferret, Robo, Guth, glad you all made it through close shaves.

Robo, for what it's worth, I did an advanced riding course recently and the guy suggested to me getting into the habit of pressing the indicator button from time to time no matter what just to make sure it's off.

Be safe everyone.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret, Robo, Guth, glad you all made it through close shaves.

Robo, for what it's worth, I did an advanced riding course recently and the guy suggested to me getting into the habit of pressing the indicator button from time to time no matter what just to make sure it's off.

Be safe everyone.
Yeah,that's a great tip and I do remember having a motorcycle with that feature before.I liked it a lot. The motorcycle I'm riding right now is a 78' CB400 that I picked up over the summer to get back into riding again.It doesn't have a canceling button for the turn signal. I guess I just need to check it often or keep my finger on it to remember to switch it back after the turn maybe.
 
Thread starter
Its push to cancel. Button automatically returns to middle position when you engage, then push it in to cancel. You will learn to automatically reach up and push it, sometimes 2 or 3 times lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Its push to cancel. Button automatically returns to middle position when you engage, then push it in to cancel. You will learn to automatically reach up and push it, sometimes 2 or 3 times lol
lol... well this is old school turn signals on a 78'. It is either before the push to cancel came out or wasn't included on this model
If you turn on the right signal it stays there until you turn it back to the middle off position. There is no push to cancel:-/
If I get a CB1100 later this year I can get my hands on some of these high tech blinkers;)
 
Thread starter
Lol ok Im confused..I thought we were talking about the CB 11.

Yes your switch is really retro. Came just after sticking your arm out. :rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol ok Im confused..I thought we were talking about the CB 11.

Yes your switch is really retro. Came just after sticking your arm out. :rofl:
:rofl:That made me laugh:rofl:
 
Back
Top