Women CB1100 Riders?

McSpofforson_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi, new to the Forum and shopping around for one of these beasts.

I've been riding about 10 years, and am curious to learn if there are any women out there who own/ride one of these regularly? It's significantly heavier than what I currently own, so I'm a bit concerned about the physics/geometry of handling one of these (as a not-too-large chick).
 
McSpofforson_imp said:
Hi, new to the Forum and shopping around for one of these beasts.

I've been riding about 10 years, and am curious to learn if there are any women out there who own/ride one of these regularly? It's significantly heavier than what I currently own, so I'm a bit concerned about the physics/geometry of handling one of these (as a not-too-large chick).
Hi McSpoff, there's a gal on this forum who owns one and her forum name is Dangergirl416. You could do a search for her and send her a PM asking her what her height and inseam is. Since you are also a female, you could even ask her what her weight is without getting in trouble!

My own opinion is that most anyone with 10 years riding experience like yourself could easily handle this bike. It only wants a light touch at the controls and feels far more manageable and light than it's weight and motor size would suggest. I've found the only time it feels somewhat heavy is when you're not on it and maneuvering it around the garage or driveway. But with a little care and concentration that's not really a problem either. Good luck and we hope to have you as part of the CB1100 community soon. :)
 
I agree, this bike is amazingly light and agile while riding! Like it was mentioned anyone with 10 years experience will have no problems with this bike. Now when your not on the bike and trying to jockey it around to move it, then yes it feels a little heavy...

I can say this though, it is definitely a lot easier and lighter than my 850cc Yamaha XS850! Handling included!!!
 
The bike has a very low center of gravity compared to many other bikes, that makes it easy to handle at low speed. The seat height is also comparatively low, which helps. Lastly, the bike makes power at a very steady and predictable rate; it has one of the smoothest throttles I've ever experienced.
 
McSpofforson_imp said:
Hi, new to the Forum and shopping around for one of these beasts.

I've been riding about 10 years, and am curious to learn if there are any women out there who own/ride one of these regularly? It's significantly heavier than what I currently own, so I'm a bit concerned about the physics/geometry of handling one of these (as a not-too-large chick).
Hi "McSpofforson".... Welcome to the group .... I do agree that this bike is a bit heavy for a lady but I assure you if you have your basics right , then nothing is like this bike .... Infact the heavier the bike is , the more stable it is . Stability is one of the most preferred parameters of every Biker ....So you need to take it easy initially till you gel in with the bike completely....It's a fun/ lowprofile/beautiful bike with a fantastic performance .....That's my Personal Opinion......


Cheers !!!!!!!!!
 
McSpofforson, your 10 years experience should do you well. The CB is well mannered and easy to ride. That said, the one concern may be your inseam. Did you sit on the bike? Can you flat foot? If so, I don't think you would have any problems riding the CB. If not you will have to decide how comfortable you will be stopping the bike or consider lowering either the bike or the seat.
 
My girlfriend is just learning to ride on the street using the CB. It's mine, but she doesn't have a bike of her own yet. She has no issues rolling around on it, she's 5'5" and h/w proportional. She can't flat foot the bike however, can only use the balls of her feet; but has no problem with parking lot maneuvers or walking it backwards out of our garage on a slope.
 
Thread starter
Whew, thanks all - exactly what I was hoping to hear. :) My current bike's a GB500, so I'd be getting used to a slightly different riding posture (and, obviously, throwing around a bigger/heavier machine).

I'm a around 5.5', 125(ish) lbs. Only been on one in a local showroom, and was able to flatfoot in my (slightly thick-soled) riding boots. So I'm not too worried about being stopped at lights or whatnot. And I was quite impressed by how "light" it felt - very nice center of gravity/balance.
 
Ooooh GB 500 .... Nice! Rare! How about a pic?
 
McSpofforson_imp said:
Hi, new to the Forum and shopping around for one of these beasts.

I've been riding about 10 years, and am curious to learn if there are any women out there who own/ride one of these regularly? It's significantly heavier than what I currently own, so I'm a bit concerned about the physics/geometry of handling one of these (as a not-too-large chick).
I disagree with the consensus here. Why burden yourself with a bike that weighs 545 pounds if you only weigh 125 pounds? It only takes one misstep or a nice little slick spot and you are on your side. You will not be able to lift this bike back up. I could not do it nor would I try...let me see, the engine and exhaust pipes are running between 400-600 degrees F so you don't want to touch them, your discs in your back will not like the idea, and so on. There are a plethora of motorcycles that you could own and ride and have a lot more fun on with a lot less potential headaches. Honda makes most of them these days. 10 years doesn't tell one much; it's the number of miles and types of riding. The fact you are asking is a sign you are not sure of yourself. Yes, the CG is low for this type motorcycle but it is not especially low when compared to many other types, such as the BMW boxer, many V-Twin cruisers, and most notably, any of the new Honda CX models. That CX has an incredibly low CG because of its design; the cylinders lay almost horizontal. It's nothing to do with whether one is a woman or man, it's just one's inseam. I'm 5' 7" and 142 pounds and the CB1100 is about all the bike I need as far as weight. Who needs the worries about handling issues due to stature when plenty of bikes will suit your purpose? BTW, my wife of 20 years is exactly your height and weight. Over the years she has owned and ridden a few different bikes, among them an FZR400, EX500, ZX6E, Serow 225, EX650, and Harley 883 Low Sportster. She plans on getting another bike next year and the choices are either another Super Low 883 or the Honda CTX, most likely with automatic and ABS. But before she does that she's picking up a Grom 125 which she'll ride a few months to sharpen up her skills.
 
Don't be afraid of the weight. Its all about technique.

 
_imp said:
McSpofforson_imp said:
Hi, new to the Forum and shopping around for one of these beasts.

I've been riding about 10 years, and am curious to learn if there are any women out there who own/ride one of these regularly? It's significantly heavier than what I currently own, so I'm a bit concerned about the physics/geometry of handling one of these (as a not-too-large chick).
I disagree with the consensus here. Why burden yourself with a bike that weighs 545 pounds if you only weigh 125 pounds? It only takes one misstep or a nice little slick spot and you are on your side. You will not be able to lift this bike back up. I could not do it nor would I try...let me see, the engine and exhaust pipes are running between 400-600 degrees F so you don't want to touch them, your discs in your back will not like the idea, and so on. There are a plethora of motorcycles that you could own and ride and have a lot more fun on with a lot less potential headaches. Honda makes most of them these days. 10 years doesn't tell one much; it's the number of miles and types of riding. The fact you are asking is a sign you are not sure of yourself. Yes, the CG is low for this type motorcycle but it is not especially low when compared to many other types, such as the BMW boxer, many V-Twin cruisers, and most notably, any of the new Honda CX models. That CX has an incredibly low CG because of its design; the cylinders lay almost horizontal. It's nothing to do with whether one is a woman or man, it's just one's inseam. I'm 5' 7" and 142 pounds and the CB1100 is about all the bike I need as far as weight. Who needs the worries about handling issues due to stature when plenty of bikes will suit your purpose? BTW, my wife of 20 years is exactly your height and weight. Over the years she has owned and ridden a few different bikes, among them an FZR400, EX500, ZX6E, Serow 225, EX650, and Harley 883 Low Sportster. She plans on getting another bike next year and the choices are either another Super Low 883 or the Honda CTX, most likely with automatic and ABS. But before she does that she's picking up a Grom 125 which she'll ride a few months to sharpen up her skills.
I disagree with the consensus here. Why burden yourself with a bike that weighs 545 pounds if you only weigh 125 pounds? It only takes one misstep or a nice little slick spot and you are on your side. You will not be able to lift this bike back up. I could not do it nor would I try...let me see, the engine and exhaust pipes are running between 400-600 degrees F so you don't want to touch them, your discs in your back will not like the idea, and so on. There are a plethora of motorcycles that you could own and ride and have a lot more fun on with a lot less potential headaches. Honda makes most of them these days. 10 years doesn't tell one much; it's the number of miles and types of riding. The fact you are asking is a sign you are not sure of yourself. Yes, the CG is low for this type motorcycle but it is not especially low when compared to many other types, such as the BMW boxer, many V-Twin cruisers, and most notably, any of the new Honda CX models. That CX has an incredibly low CG because of its design; the cylinders lay almost horizontal. It's nothing to do with whether one is a woman or man, it's just one's inseam. I'm 5' 7" and 142 pounds and the CB1100 is about all the bike I need as far as weight. Who needs the worries about handling issues due to stature when plenty of bikes will suit your purpose? BTW, my wife of 20 years is exactly your height and weight. Over the years she has owned and ridden a few different bikes, among them an FZR400, EX500, ZX6E, Serow 225, EX650, and Harley 883 Low Sportster. She plans on getting another bike next year and the choices are either another Super Low 883 or the Honda CTX, most likely with automatic and ABS. But before she does that she's picking up a Grom 125 which she'll ride a few months to sharpen up her skills.
I disagree. Lifting a bike is not about muscle, it's about leverage. I've seen a 90lb woman lift an 800lb, bike. You've just got to put your back against the seat, grab a hold of something solid on both sides and start walking it back, using your thighs. It helps if the right side is facing down because then you can put the kick stand down. Otherwise, the hardest part for me is going gently when it is almost upright so you don't push it over the other way. Btw, a Harley Sportster is about the worst bike to own if you are worried about getting the bike back up after you drop it.

I'm 5'3", and I have trouble touching the ground which is why I'm getting a lower seat. This bike handles like a dream compared to my Yamaha VStar 650, which by the way was 514 lbs wet. It's also much faster, and all of the controls are what I would call snappy.

Don't be discouraged from buying a bike because of it's weight, or a fear of being unable to lift it back up if you drop it. If you can touch the ground, and it insights an emotional response, then go for it!
 
I have to agree with v452. There are plenty of excellent bikes out there, some made by Honda, the ctx700 comes to mind. You would be able to flat foot easily, good fuel mileage, low center of gravity. You would not have the power, but the cb is not a rocketship anyway. I'm 5 foot 9 and I cut the seat down slightly so I could flat foot. I would test ride several different bikes before I made a decision. Good luck.
 
jmc1100_imp said:
No worries..It's a dream, Buy it..!!!
It's a big bike. Tough to recommend over the Internet to a stranger. Going from a GB to this guy is a bit of a leap. At the very least, assume you're going to drop her and get case savers/engine guards for her. Try laying her down on grass with a friend to help and see what you can do on your own.

I'd have you look at a Moto Guzzi V7 if you have a dealer near by. Or the Triumph Bonneville, or the new Honda 500's or 700's.

A friend about your size has a NT650 Hawk and she rides the snot out of that bike. Has not had a leg over my CB1100 yet so I'm not sure what she thinks of it. Her skill level is better than mine.
 
_imp said:
McSpofforson_imp said:
Hi, new to the Forum and shopping around for one of these beasts.

I've been riding about 10 years, and am curious to learn if there are any women out there who own/ride one of these regularly? It's significantly heavier than what I currently own, so I'm a bit concerned about the physics/geometry of handling one of these (as a not-too-large chick).
I disagree with the consensus here. Why burden yourself with a bike that weighs 545 pounds if you only weigh 125 pounds? It only takes one misstep or a nice little slick spot and you are on your side. You will not be able to lift this bike back up. I could not do it nor would I try...let me see, the engine and exhaust pipes are running between 400-600 degrees F so you don't want to touch them, your discs in your back will not like the idea, and so on. There are a plethora of motorcycles that you could own and ride and have a lot more fun on with a lot less potential headaches. Honda makes most of them these days. 10 years doesn't tell one much; it's the number of miles and types of riding. The fact you are asking is a sign you are not sure of yourself. Yes, the CG is low for this type motorcycle but it is not especially low when compared to many other types, such as the BMW boxer, many V-Twin cruisers, and most notably, any of the new Honda CX models. That CX has an incredibly low CG because of its design; the cylinders lay almost horizontal. It's nothing to do with whether one is a woman or man, it's just one's inseam. I'm 5' 7" and 142 pounds and the CB1100 is about all the bike I need as far as weight. Who needs the worries about handling issues due to stature when plenty of bikes will suit your purpose? BTW, my wife of 20 years is exactly your height and weight. Over the years she has owned and ridden a few different bikes, among them an FZR400, EX500, ZX6E, Serow 225, EX650, and Harley 883 Low Sportster. She plans on getting another bike next year and the choices are either another Super Low 883 or the Honda CTX, most likely with automatic and ABS. But before she does that she's picking up a Grom 125 which she'll ride a few months to sharpen up her skills.
I disagree with the consensus here. Why burden yourself with a bike that weighs 545 pounds if you only weigh 125 pounds? It only takes one misstep or a nice little slick spot and you are on your side. You will not be able to lift this bike back up. I could not do it nor would I try...let me see, the engine and exhaust pipes are running between 400-600 degrees F so you don't want to touch them, your discs in your back will not like the idea, and so on. There are a plethora of motorcycles that you could own and ride and have a lot more fun on with a lot less potential headaches. Honda makes most of them these days. 10 years doesn't tell one much; it's the number of miles and types of riding. The fact you are asking is a sign you are not sure of yourself. Yes, the CG is low for this type motorcycle but it is not especially low when compared to many other types, such as the BMW boxer, many V-Twin cruisers, and most notably, any of the new Honda CX models. That CX has an incredibly low CG because of its design; the cylinders lay almost horizontal. It's nothing to do with whether one is a woman or man, it's just one's inseam. I'm 5' 7" and 142 pounds and the CB1100 is about all the bike I need as far as weight. Who needs the worries about handling issues due to stature when plenty of bikes will suit your purpose? BTW, my wife of 20 years is exactly your height and weight. Over the years she has owned and ridden a few different bikes, among them an FZR400, EX500, ZX6E, Serow 225, EX650, and Harley 883 Low Sportster. She plans on getting another bike next year and the choices are either another Super Low 883 or the Honda CTX, most likely with automatic and ABS. But before she does that she's picking up a Grom 125 which she'll ride a few months to sharpen up her skills.
So, I am making plans to meet with this member and let her try my CB11. If she likes it, and is concerned, about dropping it, I will take mine to a grassy spot and let her try to pick it up.

My bike might get a scratch, but I might also make a new friend.
 
The CB1100 is not a big bike. It's not tiny like a Bonneville or some 500cc or smaller bikes, but compared to a Victory, Star, or most HDs it's very managable. There are aftermarket low seats such as the standard Japanese market seat.

I think its very easy to maneuver in tight spaces, handles bumpy dirt roads with ease, and can be ridden at very low speeds without stalling.
 
Back
Top