Wish I had bought a Honda CB Four before

Jeephoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am loving this CB1100 DLX; I just want to ride it all the time. I wish I had been able to ride one of the earlier, legendary CB's. As a teenager in the early '70s 750cc was a huge bike. Later, as an adult, I passed on buying a 750cc Nighthawk even though I thought I would really enjoy it.

Does anyone have experience with previous CB's and the new 1100 who could compare?
 
Jeephoto_imp said:
I am loving this CB1100 DLX; I just want to ride it all the time. I wish I had been able to ride one of the earlier, legendary CB's. As a teenager in the early '70s 750cc was a huge bike. Later, as an adult, I passed on buying a 750cc Nighthawk even though I thought I would really enjoy it.

Does anyone have experience with previous CB's and the new 1100 who could compare?
To me there is no comparison. In my opinion fuel injection is the ONLY way to go. Same goes for cars and boats. Carburetors are caveman tech.
 
Lots of us have such experience. As in other areas in life, we tend to recall mostly good experiences we had with such vehicles, and tune out the bad.

I had the CBs back in the late 70s and also recently had one from the 70s and one from '81.
There's no comparison. Bikes with carbs need to be ridden frequently, they don't like to sit. If they do sit for a while, they need tinkering and wrenching.

I'll take my CB1100 over anything else from back then. Fuel injection, modern brakes, modern suspension, a brighter headlight, and a useful, modern electrical system rule. You can park it for a four month winter with just a fuel stabilizer and a battery tender and come spring just check the tire pressure, hit the starter and ride off.
 
I had a 76 CB 750, and a 2000 750 Nighthawk. The CB 1100 is a much better bike by far, however they were both great bikes for their times. It's just that times have changed.

Here's some numbers you may find interesting:

Comparing it to the classis of yore.

69 Honda CB 750. 67 hp @9000 rpms. Weight 491 wet
,
72 Kawasaki Z-1 900.... 82 hp @8500 rpms. Weight 511 dry

80 Suzuki GS 1100 ..... 87 hp @ 8000 rpms Weight 563 wet

78 Yamaha XS 1100 ...95 hp @ 8500 rpms. Weight 630 wet

2013 Honda CB1100 ....87 hp @ 7500 rpms. Weight 540 wet.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I had a 76 CB 750, and a 2000 750 Nighthawk. The CB 1100 is a much better bike by far, however they were both great bikes for their times. It's just that times have changed.

Here's some numbers you may find interesting:

Comparing it to the classis of yore.

69 Honda CB 750. 67 hp @9000 rpms. Weight 491 wet
,
72 Kawasaki Z-1 900.... 82 hp @8500 rpms. Weight 511 dry

80 Suzuki GS 1100 ..... 87 hp @ 8000 rpms Weight 563 wet

78 Yamaha XS 1100 ...95 hp @ 8500 rpms. Weight 630 wet

2013 Honda CB1100 ....87 hp @ 7500 rpms. Weight 540 wet.
Honda had a CB 750 in '68? ;)
 
Shown in Tokyo 1968, brought out in US in 1969, I will correct
 
68, 69—it was still a game changer.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
68, 69—it was still a game changer.
Yep, revered ancestor of our beloved CB 1100's ;)
 
Thread starter
b95cd463ba13b7c21e70ffdc912013f8.jpg


db91f887566673d0578a13d12db1fb38.jpg
 
I can't claim to have had experience of the granddaddy CBs, (my only other Honda was a VF500 - much loved but a different generation) other than I had a poster of one on my wall at university (right next to the one with the tennis blonde tucking a spare ball into her undies)

The post however struck a chord.

When I was a lad, I'd go fishing with my dear departed father on a lake.

We used a boat with a British Seagull outboard.

These motors were two stroke; you had to mix the oil and petrol yourself; to start it, you primed the engine by pressing a plunger under the carb until fuel ran over your fingers; if cold (and it was always cold) you needed to use the choke which was a metal slider that obstructed the air intake; you started it (usually) by wrapping a rope around the flywheel, and pulled like heck. No battery, no clutch, no gears.

Since then I have used silky smooth Honda four stroke outboards, which started first time, every time, on the push of a button.

For day to day use, there would be no argument, I'd always go for the modern outboard; but by God, I hanker for a go with that old outboard sometimes for the memories that the smells, oily fingers, grazed knuckles, and cussing would bring, and if I had a youngster, I would go out of my way to source one* to instill a real understanding of what happens in an internal combustion engine.

I suspect that those lucky enought to experience the ancestor and modern Hondas might echo these sentiments.

* EU regs have now outlawed the manufacture of new two stroke outboards, but, the company is still going, manufacturing and supplying spares for their motors - their line is that as long as you can keep your motor alive, you are allowed to keep using it - a classic example of the old adage that your yard brush may have had ten new handles and a dozen new heads, but it's still as good as new!
 
Jeephoto_imp said:
Love it!

To answer your question Larry: I have two predecessors, a '73 CB500 Four (the original 750's first smaller sibling) and '93 750 Nighthawk. As others here have said, there is no comparison. I had the pleasure of demo riding a Deluxe at Americade last summer and got to see up close how much effort Honda put into recreating the overall look and "feel" of the classic fours in a thoroughly modern motorcycle. The Deluxe possessed all the riding qualities I like about my Nighthawk but BETTER, WAY BETTER.

For what its worth, if I no longer had my older CB's and if funds allowed, I would have a Deluxe by now.

Although I was too young for the original 750's heyday, I've come to appreciate how great the 70's CB's were for their time through my old 500. I'm amazed that at now over 40 years old (and once I got her fully up to snuff) what a smooth, easy to ride and maintain motorcycle she is even by today's standards. It is testament to the quality and lasting impact of the classic CB fours and your modern CB1100 is a most worthy successor to this legacy :-)
 
Thank you for that post, Insolentsquid. A friend of my father's gave him an old British Seagull that had been to the bottom of the sea and had given up the ghost. Knowing little about engines then (I still don't), I took it home and pulled apart what I could to clean it up. Took it down to the sea, clamped it to the back of the dinghy, wound on the string, gave it a tug and away it went. It continued to run well for years. Wonderful things; an example of the elegance of simplicity.

The only complaint I had about it was that the exhaust ran down the back of the thing and—only once—I made the mistake of trying to carry the hot outboard with it.
 
gossman_imp said:
You have one now, and it's the best of the CB models that have been produced. Think of it that you just started at the top. :thumbsup:
Good point. While the 70s versions of the CB750 were marvels of the day, they'd be considered a bit crude compared to the CB1100. The CB1100 is the result of 45 years of refinement on the basic design. Even my '93 CB750 feels dated when I hop on it after riding the CB11. The improvements in suspension, brakes and fuel system are really noticeable. I've ridden CBs from every decade and there's no doubt in my mind that the CB1100 is ultimate CB.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thank you for that post, Insolentsquid. A friend of my father's gave him an old British Seagull that had been to the bottom of the sea and had given up the ghost. Knowing little about engines then (I still don't), I took it home and pulled apart what I could to clean it up. Took it down to the sea, clamped it to the back of the dinghy, wound on the string, gave it a tug and away it went. It continued to run well for years. Wonderful things; an example of the elegance of simplicity.

The only complaint I had about it was that the exhaust ran down the back of the thing and—only once—I made the mistake of trying to carry the hot outboard with it.
LOL - Seagull owners had a couple of marks of honour - the burns on the palm, and the oily streak down the back of your favourite fishing jacket that came from slinging it on your shoulder without first ensuring that the breather on the fuel tank cap was screwed down! (Ours had to be recovered from the lake bottom as well, no bother, no fuss, started first time)
 
Back
Top