Winter Solstice Day

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Happy (belated, for some) Winter Solstice Day, 2022!! I'm always happy on Dec. 21st because now the days begin to become longer, means more riding opps. And double happy because it was a dry, cold and gorgeous day to ride. Spent a bit of time on the DR650 after working last week getting its carb sorted out, and had another window of riding late afternoon. Not the CB, but it could have been...

66cb34b21e164f67d31ba66d447aed53.jpg


On my way home, found a nice "hang from the gutters" 10' long, bronze wind chime with hummingbirds 'n flowers for the Mrs. for Christmas.
 
Perfect. Congrats on a great day
 
I celebrated the equinox with a super sunny usual full-circuit ride. The roads are exceptionally dusted with salt now, but the [dreaded] chain hasn't rusted yet this riding season.

I saw no other garage queens on the road today.
 
Nice to think that the days will start getting longer. It's funny... when the time changes in fall, I think "Oh no, I need to commute in the dark!"
Then, it becomes natural, and I forget about it until spring when it changes back again.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Nice to think that the days will start getting longer. It's funny... when the time changes in fall, I think "Oh no, I need to commute in the dark!"
Then, it becomes natural, and I forget about it until spring when it changes back again.
Remember Gone:

Spring is the extension of the riding season. That is no truer than in southern California (and apparently some parts of Ohio too).

No garage queens!
 
It is just the opposite for me. The days will get longer and hotter until I can't enjoy riding anymore. For now, I have to get in as much riding as I can, because by the end of April, it just won't be fun anymore. Then I have to ride early in the day or after dark, just to be able to tolerate it.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
It is just the opposite for me. The days will get longer and hotter until I can't enjoy riding anymore. For now, I have to get in as much riding as I can, because by the end of April, it just won't be fun anymore. Then I have to ride early in the day or after dark, just to be able to tolerate it.
The exact same words are uttered by southern Arizona Africa Twin Forum folks. lol
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
:thumbsup:
Real feel of longer days will be in January, but no complaints.
For me in Oregon this rings true all the more because we have so many overcast, misty-rainy days...then, as if it sneaks up on you, there's a clear later-afternoon January day...and it's shocking to realize it's 5:45pm instead of 4:45 as I return from a ride.
 
The days are getting shorter here. Curious, as the December solstice marks the beginning of summer. Up, over the equator, the December solstice marks the beginning of winter. Longer, colder days ahead, fellas. Have fun. :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The days are getting shorter here. Curious, as the December solstice marks the beginning of summer. Up, over the equator, the December solstice marks the beginning of winter. Longer, colder days ahead, fellas. Have fun. :D
Thanks Cormanus! :clap:

There is a silver lining: Folks in Arizona approach peak riding season as we lay down salt and salt-like products to crackle out the ice layers.

But yeah, not long before the late January sun rises earlier in the morning on a clear, red sky horizon and the thermometer is stuck at -30C.
 
-30°c! Fine riding weather.

Not.
 
Back
Top