Windshield Recommendation

jdinaz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm looking for a windshield that doesn't put all the wind right on my helmet. Probably need one about 20 inches tall. I had one of the Spitfires that was 16 inches and it was like riding in a hurricane. Was much better with out it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks !
 
Yep, I do...

Quote:much better with out it.
Once you start down the rabbit hole of trying different windshields for a fully upright bike, you will inevitably end up in one of two places: 1. Selling the bike out of frustration over the wind noise/buffeting that comes with adding windshields to bikes that weren't designed for them. 2. Ditching them and going back to stock, with no windshield, and just enjoying the smooth, quiet, turbulence-free windflow.

There are only two types of windshields that work with such bikes: barn doors that you must look through, rather than over, which totally ruins the aesthetics of the bike; tiny flyscreens which are so small that they can't add much noise or turbulence, but they also don't offer much in the way of useful protection.

It's a naked UJM. Just let it be a naked UJM, and enjoy it for what it is.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Yep, I do...

Quote:much better with out it.
Once you start down the rabbit hole of trying different windshields for a fully upright bike, you will inevitably end up in one of two places: 1. Selling the bike out of frustration over the wind noise/buffeting that comes with adding windshields to bikes that weren't designed for them. 2. Ditching them and going back to stock, with no windshield, and just enjoying the smooth, quiet, turbulence-free windflow.

There are only two types of windshields that work with such bikes: barn doors that you must look through, rather than over, which totally ruins the aesthetics of the bike; tiny flyscreens which are so small that they can't add much noise or turbulence, but they also don't offer much in the way of useful protection.

It's a naked UJM. Just let it be a naked UJM, and enjoy it for what it is.
Once you start down the rabbit hole of trying different windshields for a fully upright bike, you will inevitably end up in one of two places: 1. Selling the bike out of frustration over the wind noise/buffeting that comes with adding windshields to bikes that weren't designed for them. 2. Ditching them and going back to stock, with no windshield, and just enjoying the smooth, quiet, turbulence-free windflow.

There are only two types of windshields that work with such bikes: barn doors that you must look through, rather than over, which totally ruins the aesthetics of the bike; tiny flyscreens which are so small that they can't add much noise or turbulence, but they also don't offer much in the way of useful protection.

It's a naked UJM. Just let it be a naked UJM, and enjoy it for what it is.
yEAH, I'm tending to agree with you. I love the looks without one. I came from a G650GS with a Givi that was perfect, could see over the top and it sent the wind over the helmet, I was hoping for the same, but it don't look promising. I'm not gonna worry too much about it, I'm not planning any long trips any way. What's a UJM ?
 
UJM was a term coined back in the 70s to describe how Japanese manufacturers had settled on the air-cooled, inline-4 standard motorcycle as their flagship products. It stands for Universal Japanese Motorcycle. In those days, it was hard to tell the manufacturer of a particular UJM without looking at the nameplate. :D

To the subject, I've been riding UJMs almost exclusively for over 35 years now and I've used windshields on just about every one. I can understand purists who believe naked bikes should remain naked, but personally, I like a bit of protection from the wind and elements.

The key is matching the bike and size of the rider to the windshield. For example, I use a smaller shield (NC Deflector DX) in the excessive summer heat. It keeps the wind pressure off my chest, but keeps my helmet in clean air. During the winter or on long haul trips, I use a larger full coverage shield (NC Plexistar) that keeps everything but the very top of my helmet in the calm air behind the screeen.

For every windshield there is a thin, turbulent zone that divides the calm air behind the shield and the wind blast coming over the shield. The key is not to have this turbulent zone hitting the face of your helmet. That only results in noise and buffeting. On both of my shields it took some tweaking of the various adjustments to get the height and angle to work for me. Unfortunately, what works for me will probably not work for someone who is a few inches taller or shorter.

BTW, in no circumstance would I recommend a windshield that you can't see over. Heavy rain or a splash of mud could leave you riding blind. BTDT.
 
More so than the buffeting, it's always the additional noise that gets me whenever I add a windshield to an upright bike. Windshields are great for lean-over bikes that position the rider closer to the edge of the screen, but on an upright bike the windflow is always so much louder than it is when I stand on the pegs to get my helmet into clean air. Only the most vestigial of flyscreens give me that same quiet flow.
 
If you always drive slow, a windshield will not make a big difference in windprotection. But I don't ride only speeds for example up to 100km/h. I always prefer using a windshield. On the CB it is this one:

https://m.louis.de/artikel/mra-high...z-klar-oder-rauchgrau/10011295?list=411761099

It fits nicely to the black color of the Honda, no matter what other people say and some of them tell me.....

They don't ride the bike in all conditions. If the windnoise disturbs me too much, there is always some wether with or without the shield because I ride with an open Jethelm, I use earplugs on longer trips which mostly contain some faster parts of riding.

A naked bike without a windshield looks incomplete to me. I'm so used to it, to this kind of practibility. Same goes for saddlebags. But each fool is different.:D

Wisedrum
 
I have had Plexistar on mine since 2013 , it works well just be sure to keep it above
the headlight a couple of " . That helps with the buffeting .
 
Frame-mount windshields are much better at high speeds than handlebar-mount, because wind will buffet the bar mounted windshield and tug on your handlebars causing unwanted and rather disconcerting weaving. Not many frame mount choices out there unless you can refit a Vetter fairing by modifying and re-welding the bracket mounts. I used a 1980 GS1000 Vetter frame mount for my ultra-rare 1979 Vesco Rabid Transit. Vetter fairings give superb wind and weather protection and are available at giveaway prices. Several CB1100 riders here have successfully mounted Vetters.
 
736cc_imp said:
Frame-mount windshields are much better at high speeds than handlebar-mount, because wind will buffet the bar mounted windshield and tug on your handlebars causing unwanted and rather disconcerting weaving. Not many frame mount choices out there unless you can refit a Vetter fairing by modifying and re-welding the bracket mounts. I used a 1980 GS1000 Vetter frame mount for my ultra-rare 1979 Vesco Rabid Transit. Vetter fairings give superb wind and weather protection and are available at giveaway prices. Several CB1100 riders here have successfully mounted Vetters.
Bike looks amazing! What is the back piece called? Ive seen pics of this bike before and was just wondering
 
Dude_imp said:
736cc_imp said:
Frame-mount windshields are much better at high speeds than handlebar-mount, because wind will buffet the bar mounted windshield and tug on your handlebars causing unwanted and rather disconcerting weaving. Not many frame mount choices out there unless you can refit a Vetter fairing by modifying and re-welding the bracket mounts. I used a 1980 GS1000 Vetter frame mount for my ultra-rare 1979 Vesco Rabid Transit. Vetter fairings give superb wind and weather protection and are available at giveaway prices. Several CB1100 riders here have successfully mounted Vetters.
Bike looks amazing! What is the back piece called? Ive seen pics of this bike before and was just wondering
Bike looks amazing! What is the back piece called? Ive seen pics of this bike before and was just wondering
MIZ seat/tail/fender eliminator Samurider
 
Back
Top