windscreen causing oscillation?

Aussie_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi guys,

I've installed my Dart windscreen. It does the job nicely at speeds above 80 - 100km/h by keeping the wind off the chest. Seems like it is sending the air to the face of my helmet which is causing me some noisy helmet issues, which I dislike.

Also, this is the first naked bike I've fitted with a small screen. When I take my hands off the bars they oscillate (wobble) a little bit, nothing huge but still quite a noticeable tremor.

Questions:

If it common for short small screens to cause increase helmet noise? (The turbulence is not really an issue at speed, just noise.)

Also, do all these type of screens cause at least some oscillation or it is something you can 'adjust' out?

Cheers,

Andy
 
Having had short screens on my last three bikes, IMO they do increase noise but I have never experienced any wobble. I have a Puig Plus on my CB and it has caused a slight increase in noise.
 
No wobbles on mine, but the increased noise from two different kinds totally erased my joy of riding. I canned both of them never to return.
 
Many bikes will have a wobble when you take your hands off the handlebars. Usually it's more noticeable at low speed or when decelerating. My CB does it too. I wouldn't worry about it.
 
It is fun to google " handlebars shimmy when I take my hands off the bars". It is a complaint on every single motorcycle forum. There is an explanation for it having to do with weight transfer, rake, trail, tire pressure, there's a whole host of contributing factors. It's usually the worst decelerating from 50 mph to 40 mph (with hands off the bars)

If it is while accelerating with a small windshield, with hands on the bars, there may be an issue that needs looking into.
 
I have a Puig TOP. I like the looks and function. It does a good job of getting most of the wind pressure off my chest at freeway speed. There may be more wind noise - I can't quantify it and I wear foam ear plugs when I ride. In my estimation, helmet buffeting is no different with or without the screen. I have never experienced any wobble on the CB1100. (The old CB350 I rode many years ago would wobble at the drop of a hat.)
 
My CB never wobbled either but then again I never gave it an opportunity to, by keeping my hands on the handlebars. I never tested it in other words.
 
So our arms are steering dampers?
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's part and parcel of having a small screen. I will have a fiddle with it. It might be the case that it is a smidge off being dead centre.

I wear a Shoei GT Air. With no screen fitted I can get away with no earplugs on my 15 minute ride to work (all city road speeds) without issue, it's a pretty quiet helmet and I get clean air. With the screen fitted the noise inside the helmet is twice as bad. It almost feels like there is increased 'pressure' inside the helmet and in my ears, like it hurts. Funny thing is when I open the visor, the wind noise and pain is less than with the visor down? What's with that? I've had a couple of bikes with fairings and haven't had any issues..it's just one of those things I guess.
 
meowguy_imp said:
No wobbles on mine, but the increased noise from two different kinds totally erased my joy of riding. I canned both of them never to return.
I agree. If its better without it, get rid of it.
 
I recently installed a National Cycle Deflector on mine, no wobbles that I have noticed, (I would think it would be noticeable). I have not released the handlebars with both hands, but I do sometimes ride with my left hand off the handlebars for a minute here and there.

Some increased wind to the head, but not that much more in my case. May be a result of the rider's height. In my case, the area behind the shield is calm, and the wind actually hits the upper half of the visor, (full face helmet), it's only marginally more wind noise than before, if any at all. Maybe you need a larger shield than the dart.
 
The Dart screen gives me a little protection to the chest, but most definitely increases noise, especially when leaned in at speed. I'm looking to mount the Type 2 handlebars, but concerned that the lower position will cause constant noise. I wear a Schuberth with earplugs most of the time, but occasionally an open Davida in summer, and have not yet ridden the CB with the screen in summer. So, I'll report back after the bars are mounted, but my sense is that the small screens do have pluses and minuses. They look pretty cool, though!
 
I took my Puig Plus off because of the noise - sounded like a flag whipping in a gale. My Chic Design Road Comet doesn't provide the same degree of wind protection, but the noise is gone.
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
The Dart screen gives me a little protection to the chest, but most definitely increases noise, especially when leaned in at speed. I'm looking to mount the Type 2 handlebars, but concerned that the lower position will cause constant noise. I wear a Schuberth with earplugs most of the time, but occasionally an open Davida in summer, and have not yet ridden the CB with the screen in summer. So, I'll report back after the bars are mounted, but my sense is that the small screens do have pluses and minuses. They look pretty cool, though!
Yes, I agree that it looks great and compliments the overall look of the bike. I'm going to get some custom earplugs fitted in a couple of weeks. Hopefully that will sort the noise issue. I will persevere and report back!
 
Screens I love em.
Over the years I've had a screen on every bike I've owned.
Noise and buffeting is the price you pay, I prefer big screens big screens because I hate being blasted off my bike.
Bad ones:
Bmw 850rt with large handkebar screen was unbearable noise.
Kawasaki w850 with handlebar screen, unrideable, noise and buffeting.
Good ones:
Bmw 1150rt, ok adjustable + large fairing to protect lower parts.
Honda Deauville with touring screen was brilliant, low noise, zero buffeting.
Goldwing, latest model , good most times.
Now, Honda sh300 with Givi Airflow screen was fantastic.
Honda Cb1100 wuth Gjvi Airflow, bearable, not to noisy, buffeting at 65mph starts but can be stopped by lowering the screen to suite.

Finally, I think the closer you get to the screen the better all problems reduce, naked bikes are the biggest offenders and I prefer good old cotton wool in my ears.

Have fun...
 
I have a Shoei RF-1200 and I use earplugs. I have the Dart flyscreen installed. I can't hear jack squat. I am 6'0 with a 33" inseam. Not sure where the air is hitting me; when I first installed my screen, I thought it was going up, over my head, at-speed. For sure it is off my chest, which was my intended purpose.

The bike shimmies pretty good decelerating 50-40 with hands off. Put your hands back on the bars (where they belong), and that won't happen. This bike has a pretty aggressive rake with very little trail. It ain't no cruiser. If one is overly concerned, one might think about fitting an aftermarket steering damper.

And yes, of course, your arms are the original steering dampers.
 
Bob one way to see where the air actually hits you is to follow the flow. Stick your left hand up behind the screen, palm forward, where you feel no air.( ie screen is blocking all the air) now raise your hand slowly until you feel the wind blast right at the top of the screen? Now keep your hand in the wind blast and slowly follow it , feeling pressure on your hand until you get to your, chest, head or helmet , where ever the wind blast takes you.on my NC Street shield EX the wind blast leads my hand directly to my eye port on my full face helmet.

You could also tape 18" long pieces of knitting yarn to the top of the shield and see where they hit you. It's actually fun to see the way the wind works behind a shield.
 
How many miles on your rear tire?
There is a decent chance that the screen is not causing the oscillation when you take your hands off the bars at all. That is a classic symptom of cupped tires, and if it's the case, the oscillation will stop when you replace or re-balance the tires. If they still have a lot of miles left on them, just be aware, take it easy, and maybe keep your hands on the bars until you get the new tires.

But it's generally been my experience that tall screens are worse at speed. I'd rather have the steady, uninterrupted airflow hitting my helmet, than the chaotic turbulence whacking my helmet around behind a screen.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
No wobbles on mine, but the increased noise from two different kinds totally erased my joy of riding. I canned both of them never to return.
I agree. If its better without it, get rid of it.
I agree. If its better without it, get rid of it. I hate any kind of windshield. Tried several and they all ruin the handling and make noise from turbulence. Clean airflow is what we want.

I'd rather gear up and have a good helmet (I also use a GT-Air, among others, and it's very quiet and designed to greatly reduce the low pressure area behind the head) than try to increase comfort with a windshield.

I am not referring to large windshields built-in to the motorcycle by design, such as on a Gold Wing, just aftermarket bolt-ons.
 
Thread starter
calamarichris_imp said:
How many miles on your rear tire?
There is a decent chance that the screen is not causing the oscillation when you take your hands off the bars at all. That is a classic symptom of cupped tires, and if it's the case, the oscillation will stop when you replace or re-balance the tires. If they still have a lot of miles left on them, just be aware, take it easy, and maybe keep your hands on the bars until you get the new tires.

But it's generally been my experience that tall screens are worse at speed. I'd rather have the steady, uninterrupted airflow hitting my helmet, than the chaotic turbulence whacking my helmet around behind a screen.
Thanks for the tip mate. I checked without the screen and the bike runs true with no issues so I'm pretty sure it's the screen on this occasion. Cheers.
 
Back
Top