Windjammer ss. Install

caddy425_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Well found a black fairing with lowers and all accessories in vetter packaging. Bracket is for a cb550 but it seems to be working after some modifications. Next onto the big step of light removal an wiring should be fun. Will share pictures when complete
 
caddy425_imp said:
Well found a black fairing with lowers and all accessories in vetter packaging. Bracket is for a cb550 but it seems to be working after some modifications. Next onto the big step of light removal an wiring should be fun. Will share pictures when complete
It has been decades since I installed a Windjammer. I remember there was all sorts of wiring to be plugged in. What I did was buy a multi-pin connector at Radio Shack and run all the wires through it. One plug to mount the fairing, and same plug to remove it.

I doubt that Radio Shack still sell that kind of thing anymore, but any good electronics shop should. Here in Canada, Radio Shack has been replaced by The Source. Over the years all the electronic hobby parts have disappeared.
 
I believe you will be the third one that I know of that has mounted a Vetter fairing on A CB1100. Here is a pic of mine. It is a Windjammer lll.
Kevin

 
It's all coming back to me now.

I believe the reason my friends and I had so many wires was the AM/FM/CB radio and speakers we installed. Vetter sold a pod that would hold speakers and a radio.

The CB was great as you heard the truckers warning each other about the County Mounties. Our Goldwings had a similar set-up that saved us a few dollars in Indiana.

We had a good time in Terre Haute on our way to Lake of the Ozarks as there was a hotel and a restaurant all in the same mall right next to the Highway overpass. The weather was miserably hot for us Canucks, so it didn't take long to dump the gear and jump in the hotel pool. Meet a group of riders from Belleville in the pool going to the same Goldwing rally. So we all had dinner together at the Red Lobster.

On the way back we floated in the same pool. One of the locals suggest a Chinese buffet down the street. Decent food at a very reasonable price. Watched a guy gorge himself on Alaskan King Crab legs. Never ate a vegetable or grain of rice, just crab legs.
 
Thread starter
husky385_imp said:
I believe you will be the third one that I know of that has mounted a Vetter fairing on A CB1100. Here is a pic of mine. It is a Windjammer lll.
Kevin



nice - how did you get the mount up that high - it came with the mount for a cb550 - would not work for love or money - bought one from a GS1100 - looks like a better fit - nice look -
find the weight on the front end ok?
Carguy1959_imp said:
Carguy1959_imp said:
Here is a picture of mine. The Windjammer is from a 77 Kawasaki, the mount I used is a 78 CB750 mount.
ok - thanks for the info - it came with a mount for a cb550 - no way to make htat work - the mount for the gs1100 seemed to measure out pretty well and that i could get -- how did you mount up the oil cooler?
 
I mounted mine to the out side of the bracket. This was the easiest way without doing a lot of fab work. The mount I used, had the 4 curved mounting points. I just had to work them outward to match the frame. I them used rubber and hose clamps like they did back in the day.
 
Thread starter
Carguy1959_imp said:
I mounted mine to the out side of the bracket. This was the easiest way without doing a lot of fab work. The mount I used, had the 4 curved mounting points. I just had to work them outward to match the frame. I them used rubber and hose clamps like they did back in the day.
i found a kawasaki factory vetter fairing for free with mount - fellow bought it for a kz400 but didnt like it - with a bit of widening - and bending the top mount the top of the frame mounts to the oil cooler bolt - the outside tubes miss the oil cooler in stock position perfectly - just waiting to do the final install this weekend
 
caddy425_imp said:
Carguy1959_imp said:
I mounted mine to the out side of the bracket. This was the easiest way without doing a lot of fab work. The mount I used, had the 4 curved mounting points. I just had to work them outward to match the frame. I them used rubber and hose clamps like they did back in the day.
i found a kawasaki factory vetter fairing for free with mount - fellow bought it for a kz400 but didnt like it - with a bit of widening - and bending the top mount the top of the frame mounts to the oil cooler bolt - the outside tubes miss the oil cooler in stock position perfectly - just waiting to do the final install this weekend
i found a kawasaki factory vetter fairing for free with mount - fellow bought it for a kz400 but didnt like it - with a bit of widening - and bending the top mount the top of the frame mounts to the oil cooler bolt - the outside tubes miss the oil cooler in stock position perfectly - just waiting to do the final install this weekend

Hope to see pictures of it finished.
Kevin
 
Thread starter
Complete - used the mount from a Kawasaki/Vetter fairing - small mods for size - it works beautifully - no need to remount the oil cooler - used the top oil cooler bolt to secure the cross beam - fits a treat - noticed about 15% better fuel economy so far - and snappier top gear acceleration - less vibration in the bars as well opposed to the fork/bar mounted windscreen

caddy425_imp said:
Well found a black fairing with lowers and all accessories in vetter packaging. Bracket is for a cb550 but it seems to be working after some modifications. Next onto the big step of light removal an wiring should be fun. Will share pictures when complete
 
I'm glad you were able to get it installed. Looks good on your bike. Now I can say I know of 3 CB1100's with Vetter fairings.:thumbsup::beerchug:
Kevin
 
I have just received my black vetter and 550 mounts. I need to figure out how you did it. There is no way to make this mount fit at all. Anyone making a mount that fits? 2014 CB 1100ex.
 
Welcome to the forum Canadianredneck from Texas.
 
Back
Top