Will you buy the CB1100 at 12,500 USD?

cbdtran_imp

Been there
Thread starter
In 2012 and prior, the rate exchange is 80 Yen per Dollar, that made 1 million yens (price of this bike) equal to $12,500 USD. The current rate exchange in 2003 is 100 yens per dollar, that make the bike $10K MSRP in US

will you buy this bike at $12.5K USD?
 
If I can buy 100 yesn for less now, the bike should cost less now. I don't get the question, but I would not pay 12.5 when the market has so many excellent bikes.
 
$12.5K would hurt bike sales a lot. As Dean said, at that price point you suddenly have some very nice bikes available (e.g. my Griso was at $12.5). Folks that want a retro bike would still be interested but other folks looking for standard motorcycle will have other options; many with higher performance. Let's face it, many riders still want hot performance and the CB is not on par with them.
 
Imported bikes don't always get priced based on the exchange rate. Triumph is a perfect example. Their bikes are quite a bit cheaper in the US than in the UK when you factor in the dollar/GBP exchange rate. I don't believe a change in the yen to dollar rate would automatically trigger an equal price change, up or down.
 
No way, i hated paying 10K but wanted the bike bad enough to pay that amount. I think its should have been priced around 8500.00-8900.00
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
Imported bikes don't always get priced based on the exchange rate. Triumph is a perfect example. Their bikes are quite a bit cheaper in the US than in the UK when you factor in the dollar/GBP exchange rate. I don't believe a change in the yen to dollar rate would automatically trigger an equal price change, up or down.
The only reason current Japanese prime minister devalues the Yen is to make their products cheaper oversea to US's dismay
 
Imagine what it was like when I was stationed overseas back in the late 80's and early 90's! I did 4 one year tours of duty in Japan! The first tour the exchange rate was 386 yen to 1 dollar. The last tour it was 120 yen to 1 dollar. It was nice buying electronics on the Japanese market when the exchange rate was 386 yen/1 dollar!!!

What would that make our bikes if they were at those rates. 1,000,000 yen = $2590.67 I should have bought this bike 30 years earlier!
 
The exchange rate is just one of many factors that are considered when setting the price of a bike. It's relevant, but it certainly doesn't drive the price as suggested in the OP.

There's an interesting thread on the VStrom forum about the price of the new VStrom 1000. The original one MSRP'd for $10k for the past 3 years. Suzuki redesigned it and added quite a few features like TC, ABS, much improved suspension, more HP and torque, but a lot of guys think the bike will still sell for $10/11k! I'm sure it will be close to $15k, but I might as well have endorsed nun-beating for the reaction I got when I posted that.
 
What's wrong with nun-beating?
 
dBuster_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
What's wrong with nun-beating?
Does it help remove the Rev limiter?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.2
Does it help remove the Rev limiter?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.2
Lol if it did, some would probably give it a shot. :rolleyes: wham wham wham..sorry sister, I need 13 more mph on top.
 
Exchange rates affect bike prices over the long term. Manufacturers tend to take it into account when pricing bikes at the beginning of the model year.

Honda made out pretty well this model year. When prices were announced at the end of 2012, the exchange rate was 80 yen/dollar. By the time they actually started delivering CB1100s, the exchange rate was 100 yen/dollar. They were getting (and are still getting) a 25% bump over their original price.

Over the longer term, the exchange rate definitely has an effect. Back in the 90s Japanese bike prices increased dramatically as the yen went from 160/dollar at the beginning of the decade, down to the low 80s around 1995. That's a 50% drop over 5 years.

I bought a leftover '93 CB750 in '96 and got a great deal on it. It was mechanically identical to the '96 models, but the MSRP on the newer ones had increased nearly $1000 in the meantime.
 
Bought mine just 2 weeks ago, cash price 10.250 EUR which is 13.850 USD. And the regular price is 11.300 EUR which is 15.260 USD even.
Yes ... in Germany. So do not whine about Yen/USD exchange rate! ;)
 
ingobohn_imp said:
Bought mine just 2 weeks ago, cash price 10.250 EUR which is 13.850 USD. And the regular price is 11.300 EUR which is 15.260 USD even.
Yes ... in Germany. So do not whine about Yen/USD exchange rate! ;)
WOW!! Now I feel pretty dang good about paying close to list for mine.:-/ :)
 
Yip you guys should not complain, I paid over 14,800 USD here in NZ and prices for bike parts are ridiculous! So enjoy your economies of scale!
 
We like to complain about prices...silly Americans. I have a really close friend from Germany that likes coming here on vacation because according to his words "everything, particularly gas, is on sale"
 
Thread starter
ingobohn_imp said:
Bought mine just 2 weeks ago, cash price 10.250 EUR which is 13.850 USD. And the regular price is 11.300 EUR which is 15.260 USD even.
Yes ... in Germany. So do not whine about Yen/USD exchange rate! ;)
yes yes, everything in Europe is about 50% more expensive than in US, even food is about 35% more. I like to ride the Alps starting in Germany, thru Swiss and Austria and Italy and end in France but have to postpone it due to cost. I ride my bike to La Jolla Cove in San Diego last week , suddenly all tourists are from Europe, many German speaking. I assume is the winter vacation over there.
 
Even for us Germans, Switzerland is extremely expensive. I was born close to the German/Swiss border, and I remember that my parents preferred to go to France (Alsace) with me and my brother because it was much cheaper. And that was 30 years ago. Now, with the bad EUR/SFR exchange rate it is even worse. The only thing you can do with your bike is to fuel it up right before the Swiss border and try to head through the country to reach Italy (or other neighboring countries) and hope that the gas tank is big enough. Do not stop for having a sandwich and a coffee at the highway, it will blow off your wallet.
But be careful - do not try to head through Switzerland too fast: The Swiss police is very strict with their speed controls, and if you exceed the speed limit to much they even put you in prison and seize your motorcycle. No joke.
 
Back
Top