Will the 6-speed trans bolt into the 2013 CB11????

ChipBeck_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Gentlemen,

Perhaps some of our more technical members can answer this question. There are very few 2014 Deluxe CB1100s out there for sale. I like the bare aluminum engine and silver wheels but procuring a 2014 and starting all over with my mods is something I don't have time for right now. Still, I would really like a six speed transmission and although it would be insanely expensive, can the 2014 six speed be bolted into a 2013 CB1100? Has anybody looked into such a mod or attempted it? I do not like the blacked out 2015 standard and if I do start all over it would have to be with the DLX.

At this point I rather spend a lot of money swapping out the transmission in my 2013 CB if that's possible. Does anybody know the answer to this question? All the best.

Chip
 
Chip it would be the entire engine, and I would think it would be very doable, but you would need not only the engine, but the entire harness and the computer to get it done and I think that would be prohibitively expensive.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Chip it would be the entire engine, and I would think it would be very doable, but you would need not only the engine, but the entire harness and the computer to get it done and I think that would be prohibitively expensive.
I think that's the only route. As I recall, the engine cases on the '14 model had a different size/shape to accommodate the six speed transmission. I don't think the parts would transfer internally.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Chip it would be the entire engine, and I would think it would be very doable, but you would need not only the engine, but the entire harness and the computer to get it done and I think that would be prohibitively expensive.
I know the 2014 bike has a gear indicator in the gauge pod but the 2013 does not have a gear indicator, just the neutral light. Is the 2014 engine different from the 2013 engine? How do you know the engine and computer/harness would have to be replaced?

Chip
 
The computer is different from what they have been saying at the programming places and as such would require a different harness and computer. The engine and transmission are all in one case and as such need to be replaced as a unit. I know they changed the parameters of some of the programming and possibly the cams, but the latter I'm not sure about.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Chip it would be the entire engine, and I would think it would be very doable, but you would need not only the engine, but the entire harness and the computer to get it done and I think that would be prohibitively expensive.
I think that's the only route. As I recall, the engine cases on the '14 model had a different size/shape to accommodate the six speed transmission. I don't think the parts would transfer internally.
I think that's the only route. As I recall, the engine cases on the '14 model had a different size/shape to accommodate the six speed transmission. I don't think the parts would transfer internally.
This is correct. Engine cases are wider to accommodate the extra gear is the tranny. I also recall reading that the frame is different in order for the wider engine to fit. I don't think it is a feasible swap.
 
It's not. Trade in the 13' and get a 14' deluxe. I know that is not the answer you were hoping for, but this is the lesser of 2 evils.
 
Chip,

If you change the gearing on the 2013 you will close the gap to about 300 RPM's in top gear to that of a 2014 model for about $100.00 The 19 tooth front and 38 rear will net you about 3600 RPM's in 5th @ 70 MPH vs 3300 I personally find it to be a better ratio for the bike with the longer gears. You'll have a smoother transition through the gears with less engine braking.

I would give it a shot, its a lot cheaper and less work than a trade.

Steve
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Chip,

If you change the gearing on the 2013 you will close the gap to about 300 RPM's in top gear to that of a 2014 model for about $100.00 The 19 tooth front and 38 rear will net you about 3600 RPM's in 5th @ 70 MPH vs 3300 I personally find it to be a better ratio for the bike with the longer gears. You'll have a smoother transition through the gears with less engine braking.

I would give it a shot, its a lot cheaper and less work than a trade.

Steve
I think you have the best solution Steve. Thanks.

Chip
 
Kohama at Honda Japan said, "Neil, if you change the rear sprocket, your chain will hit the swingarm." As an engineer he could not recommend it. He could not predict the engineering future of sprockets chain and swingarm by changing the stock configuration. It could weaken the system over time. As many owners have done it, it does "work" by grinding the casing to fit the larger front sprocket. I don't like the sound of grinding anything on the case, but, to each his own. I say get the 2014, especially if money for the new tranny is apparently no object.
 
Honda will never have a positive spin on anything other than stock parts. 19-38's has more clearance than stock, raising the front one tooth will give you better lower and upper swing-arm clearance. I measured before and after, the top actually has a better run along the guide. The lower run is a none issue.

Modification are only done here::
19 tooth countershaft sprocket installation on 2013

Has nothing to do with the engine casing, only a $10.00 item which will still function as stock.
 
While changing gear size is a cheaper solution, I have a strong feeling you will not be satisfied with the results. My 2014 black std seems to be geared PERFECT for my liking. 5th gear is great for the 55mph range, and especially on twisties. My NC700X had some goofy gear ratio's, 1st gear was way to high it seem'd. 4th gear was about your best bet for playing in twisties, as 5th wasn't very happy around 55mph accelerations. I messed with different sprockets on the NC, and wound up back to stock. In 2014, they gave the NC750X taller gearing, but did not offer it in the states. So I traded my NC in for the CB1100. The rest is history.
 
Since its' not my money..... Get the 2014 Deluxe, keep the 2013, they you'll have both years and you can ride either one depending upon your mood. You can slowly mod the '14 (Corbin seat for example, mirrors.....etc.) .
 
Back
Top