Wild ride today lol

Definitely strange weather.

I think I understand the challenge of riding in all kinds of weather.

If it was a contest with a buddy, it'd be more fun.

I can remember shoveling snow with a buddy just to play basketball with gloves on!

From what you described before, you do have the perfect road/loop at the end of your driveway...that would help with motivation.
 
Thread starter
I do indeed have a great dry weather loop I like to ride when I want nothing but curves, but I have a list of 19 loops I ride depending on temperature (0 degrees to 100 degrees) distance (from 30- 200 miles), time available ( 1 hour to all day), conditions (wet, dry, wind, rain, snow) etc. Some of the loops are backroads only curvy loops... some are back roads mostly flat, with some curvy..... some are flat state highways.....some are backroads flat, backroads curvy, flat state route, and freeway combined. When weather is particularly cold or wet like it was like yesterday I will run a loop that is mostly flat, all state highway,with maybe some expressway. State highways and expressways get first and most complete attention from road departments when roads get iffy. Because they also get the most car traffic, they have the warmest surface temperature making it hard for snow or ice to stick. It just hits and melts, and that in turn provides the most adhesion for our tires.

When I leave I either tell my wife in person or leave her a note saying "The Loop" or " Stonelick Loop" or " 450 Loop" or "Airport Loop" etc and she knows exactly where I am going and how long I'll be gone. Plus she can see exactly where I am at any time with her " find my friends" app on our cell phones, which tracks my cell signal on a map on her phone.

Experience plays a large part in my decisions on when to ride. I have ridden in every condition from temperatures of -9 to +105 degrees, drought dry, torrential rain, blowing snow, sleet, hail, and high winds..and I've ridden in all those conditions multiple times. It's the environment which I live in. So other than accumulated snow and ice, which provide zero traction, I know how to ride in those conditions. Experience and good gear, are the foundation blocks of a year round rider.

Look, I'm not crazy despite what some people think. I don't take unrealistic risks. Believe me I have no desire to crash. Too old for that at this point. If I think conditions are too iffy, the bike stays in the garage and I stay in the living room staring out the front window wishing conditions were better. That has happened 13 times this year so far. 12 days in January and 1 day in February. But if I feel the conditions are safe enough to ride in, I'm riding.
 
Thread starter
I also watch the news and a weather app to tell me the best time of the day to ride. Sometimes there will be a time frame where it's not raining/snowing, or the chances of rain/snow are the lowest.

Here's today's forecast. I will probably ride from 3 PM to 4:30 PM since it will be sunny and near the warmest for the day. In the meantime I will let wind and traffic dry and heat the road up, removing yesterdays moisture.

7019aa4797ab5c7c380d6eab7658d371.jpg


During the heat of the summer, I will ride early in the morning or late in the evening when it's the coolest part of the day.
 
lol...is there any company that makes one piece ship skin overalls including gloves, boots and hood ???, I think, I know someone who may need it :P...lol

pb
 
Thread starter
ok what's a ship skin?
 
Thread starter
Oh sheeeeep skin :rofl:
 
Thread starter
wow hope you don't low side in nice weather, you won't be able to ride anymore :rofl:
you know I worked in the MC business for 17 years. I'd have people come in and look at motorcycles and I'd ask them if they were interested and they'd say "Oh no, I had a cousin/brother/uncle killed in a motorcycle wreck, I would never ride a motorcycle" (why they were in there looking at them was a mystery) and I'd say" Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Good thing they weren't killed in a car wreck or you'd have to walk everywhere." They never seemed to get it.
 
LOL Ferret. I usually reply "Lucky they didn't die falling down the stairs or you'd never be able to go into your basement again". Sometimes I get a laugh. My buddy Glen just replies "Dead is dead, my friend." Glen never gets a laugh. (except from me. LOL)
 
Thread starter
Yea the point they missed was, you can die in a motorcycle wreck, you can die in a car wreck, you can die walking across the street, you can die choking on dinner, you can die in your bathtub, you can die of a disease, or a million other ways. Just because your cousin died in a motorcycle wreck, doesn't mean you will. Fate determines how you will go. There is no other explanation.
 
I'm on a bike every day, twice a day, so statistically i will almost certainly die on the highway. I don't really give it much though. I've had two serious spills, and neither injury was as bad as the time i was in the passenger side of a car that pulled out in front of 3 lanes of traffic. make of that what you will.
 
Back
Top