Wild ride today lol

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Started snowing, it was 34 degrees out, but the roads were too warm for it to stick. So I got dressed to ride and pushed the ST out and fired it up. Snow was coming down pretty hard and was turning into little sleet balls or something, accumulating on tank bag and bar mitts as the bike warmed up. Took off and everything was fine. Windshield/front of bike started to build up with slushy/sleet like stuff. Only rode 40 miles.

(click on images to enlarge, then click on square box in upper rh corner to make full screen)

aaf19e84811709c2c33e12074055a5aa.jpg


e335be3b2a90523499844e965aa5f484.jpg


26099c93e372a57f93f9625dfdcb9a85.jpg


e2f47cf6cb8e1370ec9787ffe6d3381a.jpg
 
What Rocky said.
 
Thread starter
:rofl: basically it's just wet... like rain, no biggie.
 
You're a better man than I, Mickey! :thumbsup: I used to ride in that kind of weather when I was a newbie rider and had no other vehicle. My commute was 30 miles each way over a 6K ft. mountain pass. No way I'd do that just for fun. :D

Are those Hippo Hands? I had some on my first KZ back in 1980. I didn't think they made them anymore.
 
So, the pics here are what it looked like in Chicago at 5:45am Saturday. Now you understand why I did not ride to MLR.

And you can stop talking about how tough I am because I rode for like an eye blink at sub-zero temps.
 
Thread starter
Not sure I would want to run a mountain peak today, but a flat land road is easy riding. No, hippo hands aren't made anymore. I had a set back in the 70's -80's too. These are similar but not nearly as well made.These are made by Kolpin for quads. With my heated grips they are like little ovens. Only run the grips at 30% and it's almost too warm in there. I wear light deerskin gloves down to below zero with them so it's easy to feel buttons and switches.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
So, the pics here are what it looked like in Chicago at 5:45am Saturday. Now you understand why I did not ride to MLR.

And you can stop talking about how tough I am because I rode for like an eye blink at sub-zero temps.
Yea but you did it with no heated gear, no wind breaking fairing, no mitts and heated grips. You ARE tough! :worship:
 
Guess you don't have black ice there Ferret. Been there done that,but at least it was in my pick up. I'd say you lucked out.
 
Some days its just better to leave it in the garage.:-/
 
I have absolutely no pleasure and desire riding in this kind of weather...even if you pay me:thanks: but no :thanks:

pb
 
Thread starter
LouA_imp said:
Guess you don't have black ice there Ferret. Been there done that,but at least it was in my pick up. I'd say you lucked out.

Don’t know if we have black ice here Lou, I’ve not run into it in 53 years of riding/driving. It’s certainly not something I worry about. I would doubt if you’d have any kind of icing issue with road temperatures in the 40’s and 50’s though. Maybe in January and February when the road temps are below freezing, but I’ve not run across any that I can recall, ever, even in the winter.
 
Thread starter
Popgun, there is a company making a product they call Hippo Hands, they are not the original or anything like the original Hippo Hands, designed and made by Craig Vetter. I’m not sure how they can call theirs Hippo Hands since I am sure Craig would have copywrited the name?
 
Ferret, I agree that it isn’t Craig Vetter. Maybe they bought the rights. Or he has a piece of the action :) (Star Trek reference there)

They do mention him and talk like they are the same: About Us | Hippo Hands But IDK.
 
My hat's off to you ferret, riding in such weather. For a short time in the 70's I had only my BMW and rode every day regardless of conditions but fortunately that did not include snow or sleet. Now days I'm very much a fair weather rider only.
 
Thread starter
Interesting popgun, they are even using the original logo, but trust me they are nothing like the originals, which were shearling lined leather

Mister... On the ST they block your vision of the upper left 25% of the mirror, but you can still see plenty. Kind of like the guys complaing their shoulders block 23% of the view on their CB mirrors.

Bflint...I'd love to have one of those in my basement, bet the grandkids wished I did too
 
Back
Top