Why we ride..

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Here is an excerpt from a book I'm reading called "The Power of Now." I think it states very well why many of us are attracted to this dangerous yet exciting activity we call motorcycling.

"The reason why some people love to engage in dangerous activities, such as mountain climbing, car racing, and so on, although they may not be aware of it, is that it forces them into the Now —that intensely alive state that is free of time, free of problems, free of thinking, free of the burden of the personality. Slipping away from the present moment even for a second may mean death. Unfortunately, they come to depend on a particular activity to be in that state. But you don’t need to climb the north face of the Eiger. You can enter that state now."
 
Good post. The thrill of riding and discovering new roads or just enjoying the ones I know are main reasons I ride. It is a great stress reliever as well. I always feel a lot happier after a days riding in the fresh air and sunshine.

NOW! is also a good thing to learn. While working in the Federal Governments Pension Branch when I was younger, I was amazed by the numbers of people that died within a year or two after retiring. I vowed at that time that if I wanted to do something I would do it NOW instead of waiting.

But as the decades rolled by I became more involved in my career and home, and began to put things off. One afternoon I had a conversation with a 40+ year old friend I was working with. She died of a massive heart attack a couple of hours later on the way home. I immediately became involved in two of the things I had put off until retirement.

Almost ten years after retiring, I attended a vintage motorcycle show and the buzz came back after a 25 year absence. I bought a new motorcycle for my 69th birthday last spring, and am very glad I did.

I think Nike said it best, "Just do it!"
 
Rebel73_imp said:
Here is an excerpt from a book I'm reading called "The Power of Now." I think it states very well why many of us are attracted to this dangerous yet exciting activity we call motorcycling.

"The reason why some people love to engage in dangerous activities, such as mountain climbing, car racing, and so on, although they may not be aware of it, is that it forces them into the Now —that intensely alive state that is free of time, free of problems, free of thinking, free of the burden of the personality. Slipping away from the present moment even for a second may mean death. Unfortunately, they come to depend on a particular activity to be in that state. But you don’t need to climb the north face of the Eiger. You can enter that state now."
It depends on the way you look at motorcycling. And even more it depends on how you drive. The danger, if it's evolved all the time, which is to question, increases by confusing official roads with a race track. When driving smoothly, with a kind of awareness and a 7th sense of what 's going around you, I don't consider driving a bike to be an extraordinary dangerous activity. I see it more as a calculable risk. Otherwise I won't drive. It`ll take many miles and experience to develop this state of mind, though it's no insurance to not fall apart. But it may help to prevent yourself, to get hang up in a dangerous situation.

The reason to ride for me lies in the pure enjoyment, to sit on a motor combined with 2
wheels and be drawn by it. An enjoyment I'm used to for so many years and decades.
Starting on a little "mofa" , then a "mokick" followed by smaller and bigger motorcycles. I never ride and have ridden, to feel the impact of danger and be stimulated by it. This doesn't mean, that danger never occur, sometimes self-initiated, sometimes it just happens without warning. With a portion of
luck and reaction you 'll likewise overwhelm it. And with the help of a guardian angel, who has often, not too often, played his role in my life as a biker.

Mostly I ride for its meditative character in the "open field" not being surrounded by a metal cage, connected to seasons in the nature and play a bit
with the gyroscopic force.

A good feel, standing on its own, nothing else can offer to those, who get caught by this special kind of fascination.

Wisedrum
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Good post. The thrill of riding and discovering new roads or just enjoying the ones I know are main reasons I ride. It is a great stress reliever as well. I always feel a lot happier after a days riding in the fresh air and sunshine.

NOW! is also a good thing to learn. While working in the Federal Governments Pension Branch when I was younger, I was amazed by the numbers of people that died within a year or two after retiring. I vowed at that time that if I wanted to do something I would do it NOW instead of waiting.

But as the decades rolled by I became more involved in my career and home, and began to put things off. One afternoon I had a conversation with a 40+ year old friend I was working with. She died of a massive heart attack a couple of hours later on the way home. I immediately became involved in two of the things I had put off until retirement.

Almost ten years after retiring, I attended a vintage motorcycle show and the buzz came back after a 25 year absence. I bought a new motorcycle for my 69th birthday last spring, and am very glad I did.

I think Nike said it best, "Just do it!"
A lot of what you said rings a bell with me. I had similar experiences during my working career as I also worked for the government in a similar department.
I watched several fellow workers pass away within a year or two after retirement and I vowed that wasn't going to happen to me.
I had always lead a healthy lifestyle and began paying even more attention to my health. There is no guarantee on longevity, but I was going to give it my best shot.
I was able to retire at age 55 and bought my first motorcycle in 34 years. Here it is 22 years later and I'm still in the saddle on a brand new CB that I bought last year.
So far, so good :D
 
I've mentioned in other threads that I'm relatively new to riding compared to most of you. Been at it only three years and I will turn 53 yrs old tomorrow.

For me, riding takes me back to my childhood in a strange way. As a carefree kid I used to wake up every morning and the first thing I would do is go downstairs to the garage and make sure my bicycle was ok. I'd wipe it down and deflate the tires and put in fresh air every morning, thinking that it always ran better with fresh air in the tires (OCD anyone? :D)...there was something special about seeing that shiny bike and knowing I'd be riding it all day after my chores were completed.

Fast forward 45 years to present day. Seeing that beautiful CB1100 every morning in the warm garage makes me feel like a kid again. Riding takes me away from the every day stresses that we all experience.

So many people in this world have it rough for a variety of reasons. I feel so blessed that I'm able to afford this lifestyle and enjoy this beautiful motorcycle.
 
Nice post, Blockhead. As a child, my hand painted, heavy, ungeared push-bike represented freedom to me. As a teenager my first motorcycle represented the same thing, although more powerfully so,; I suspect because I was older and could ride further on it.

My wife bought me a push bike for my 50th and I was surprised when I got on it that the youthful feeling of freedom returned quite strongly. Since I got back into motorcycling I've had the same feeling.

Like you, I also feel blessed to be able to afford the bike and time to ride it.

Thanks for reminding me.
 
Perhaps this thread died prematurely. A recent short conversation with Darling made me think it might be worth resuscitating. I was pulling on my riding boots when Darling appeared, as if by magic, and asked the question, "Why do you want to ride that ..... that ..... motorbike?". Most people asking that question would be met with the full force of my towering intellect. Closely reasoned argument and flawless dialectic, delivered in Churchillian tones, would have quickly put the issue to bed, leaving that person in no doubt about the importance of motorcycle riding in improving the human condition. Even my condition. However, with Darling, this may not be the best approach to the issue. So the "conversation" went something like this:

Darling: "Well?"
Me: "Dunno, jus wanna gofera ride"
Darling: "Skatá!* Is that best you can do?"
Me: "Yeh, yarite, bugger the ride. Maybe I'll sit in the sun on the back veranda and shotgun a six pack".
Darling: "Vlaká!* Go for your ride. Don't come back before dinner"
Me: "Orrite"

Varooooom!:biker:

Cheers.

* (Refer to Google translate - Darling is Greek)
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Perhaps this thread died prematurely. A recent short conversation with Darling made me think it might be worth resuscitating. I was pulling on my riding boots when Darling appeared, as if by magic, and asked the question, "Why do you want to ride that ..... that ..... motorbike?". Most people asking that question would be met with the full force of my towering intellect. Closely reasoned argument and flawless dialectic, delivered in Churchillian tones, would have quickly put the issue to bed, leaving that person in no doubt about the importance of motorcycle riding in improving the human condition. Even my condition. However, with Darling, this may not be the best approach to the issue. So the "conversation" went something like this:

Darling: "Well?"
Me: "Dunno, jus wanna gofera ride"
Darling: "Skatá!* Is that best you can do?"
Me: "Yeh, yarite, bugger the ride. Maybe I'll sit in the sun on the back veranda and shotgun a six pack".
Darling: "Vlaká!* Go for your ride. Don't come back before dinner"
Me: "Orrite"

Varooooom!:biker:

Cheers.

* (Refer to Google translate - Darling is Greek)
:rofl: I did the translation.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Perhaps this thread died prematurely. A recent short conversation with Darling made me think it might be worth resuscitating. I was pulling on my riding boots when Darling appeared, as if by magic, and asked the question, "Why do you want to ride that ..... that ..... motorbike?". Most people asking that question would be met with the full force of my towering intellect. Closely reasoned argument and flawless dialectic, delivered in Churchillian tones, would have quickly put the issue to bed, leaving that person in no doubt about the importance of motorcycle riding in improving the human condition. Even my condition. However, with Darling, this may not be the best approach to the issue. So the "conversation" went something like this:

Darling: "Well?"
Me: "Dunno, jus wanna gofera ride"
Darling: "Skatá!* Is that best you can do?"
Me: "Yeh, yarite, bugger the ride. Maybe I'll sit in the sun on the back veranda and shotgun a six pack".
Darling: "Vlaká!* Go for your ride. Don't come back before dinner"
Me: "Orrite"

Varooooom!:biker:

Cheers.

* (Refer to Google translate - Darling is Greek)
:rofl: I did the translation.
Sounds like my godparents
:rofl: I did the translation.
 
When the ferret and I finally got a chance to meet and spend some time together we talked about a variety of things. Motorcycling of course was one of those things. When asked if my wife rode, I responded no — she doesn't really like motorcycles all that much due to the added risk that they present (a point which I would not argue). However, she has come to understand that riding has proven to be good for my mental state. I'm almost always in a better mood after going for a ride. It's gotten to the point where sometimes she will actually encourage me to go for a ride (none of which has changed her opinion of bikes). It does me good. I suppose that is one reason that I like to ride.

The main reason that I ride is because I simply like the sensation of being on a motorcycle while it carries me around wherever I might choose to go. I loved that feeling as a kid and I still do to this day. Even though I'm a fairly conservative rider, I don't deny the risk involved. But danger (or the feeling of cheating death) isn't the reason that I ride. For me, the sheer pleasure that the experience of riding presents just happens to outweigh the risks involved.
 
"The main reason that I ride is because I simply like the sensation of being on a motorcycle while it carries me around wherever I might choose to go. ". Guth


Does it get any simpler than that? I don't think so.




.
 
I enjoy Tolle's work, and it is very relevant to our practice. I might disagree with the notion that riding is an inherently dangerous activity. 2011 mortality reports indicate that Americans are are almost 5 times more likely to die from eating cheese burgers (chronic illness, diabetes, heart disease, etc) than being killed in a motor vehicle accident or murdered combined.
That said, I have always rode for the mindfulness activity. My motorcycle takes me to other mindful activities. It gives me 20 minutes of present contemplation before I get to work, and twenty more before I come home. It takes me to far off hiking/camping destinations where by extension I am more present with the world, rather than jumping out of an air conditioned tin can with the speakers blaring, cell phone in hand. Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" would be the logic next read for someone interested in this subject. That book is one of the most influential reasons I bought the CB. Just me, a machine, and the inexhaustible present.
"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you are no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an an end but a unique event in itself. This leaf has jagged edges. This rock looks loose. From this place the snow is less visible, even though closer. These are things you should notice anyway. To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, explaining to the reader, why we should choose to climb to the tops of mountains (or in his case, ride to the top of mountains).
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Perhaps this thread died prematurely. A recent short conversation with Darling made me think it might be worth resuscitating. I was pulling on my riding boots when Darling appeared, as if by magic, and asked the question, "Why do you want to ride that ..... that ..... motorbike?". Most people asking that question would be met with the full force of my towering intellect. Closely reasoned argument and flawless dialectic, delivered in Churchillian tones, would have quickly put the issue to bed, leaving that person in no doubt about the importance of motorcycle riding in improving the human condition. Even my condition. However, with Darling, this may not be the best approach to the issue. So the "conversation" went something like this:

Darling: "Well?"
Me: "Dunno, jus wanna gofera ride"
Darling: "Skatá!* Is that best you can do?"
Me: "Yeh, yarite, bugger the ride. Maybe I'll sit in the sun on the back veranda and shotgun a six pack".
Darling: "Vlaká!* Go for your ride. Don't come back before dinner"
Me: "Orrite"

Varooooom!:biker:

Cheers.

* (Refer to Google translate - Darling is Greek)
Without checking the translation... I assume that Darling is your lovely wife.
That being said, I think she and Evelyn must have been friends in a prior life.
That sounded like a conversation I had with 'my' darling just recently.
 
I owned Harleys in the 1980's and 1990's. Did the two and three day rides with my wife. In early 2000 she no longer wanted to ride and I was tired of the longer rides. In 2003 I purchased a new CB750 Nighthawk. I used to have a 1976 CB550 back in the day and really liked the inline fours. So I started doing 40 to 80 mile daily rides into the foothills and canyons. I thought that Nighthawk was going to be my last bike. . . until the CB1100 came along.

I'm a fair weather rider which is pretty much year round here in Southern Utah. This morning I left early (it's been a little warm around here lately) and took a ride through Snow Canyon State Park and up to Enterprise through the Dixie National Forest and back. About 80 miles in less than two hours. I may do it again tomorrow and the next day. I'm retired. I try to ride every morning or afternoon depending on the weather.

I love the feeling when you increase in elevation and you can feel the temperature drop 10 or 15 degrees. Way cool!
 
Guth_imp said:
When the ferret and I finally got a chance to meet and spend some time together we talked about a variety of things. Motorcycling of course was one of those things. When asked if my wife rode, I responded no — she doesn't really like motorcycles all that much due to the added risk that they present (a point which I would not argue). However, she has come to understand that riding has proven to be good for my mental state. I'm almost always in a better mood after going for a ride. It's gotten to the point where sometimes she will actually encourage me to go for a ride (none of which has changed her opinion of bikes). It does me good. I suppose that is one reason that I like to ride.

The main reason that I ride is because I simply like the sensation of being on a motorcycle while it carries me around wherever I might choose to go. I loved that feeling as a kid and I still do to this day. Even though I'm a fairly conservative rider, I don't deny the risk involved. But danger (or the feeling of cheating death) isn't the reason that I ride. For me, the sheer pleasure that the experience of riding presents just happens to outweigh the risks involved.

This.. This is also my experience, right down to similar conversations with my wife.

My situation is a little different in that wife did ride, when she lived in the south, but the volume of traffic here in CA took the fun out of it for her. We compromised and ride dirt bikes together.

For me I believe that to deny the inherent risk of riding is foolish, to state it's the primary reason is equally so. There is no one reason. We all ride our own rides..
 
Back
Top