Why I Ride...

dogjaw_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
When people see us out on the road, dad always gets questions like "does she really like it?", "how do you get her on the bike?" and the biggie, "how do you strap her in?"

They don't realize that this is what I live for. Its especially delectable when we pull up beside a vehicle containing another dog, and I can see the jealousy etched upon their face; sure, they get an open window, but I get the world.

Dad designed the Charkstream with an open front so that, when mounted up and under way, his back makes the front door. The thinking behind this is that if, doG forbid, we were ever to go down, we would both be thrown clear; as for being strapped in, he wouldn't want to be attached to a cartwheeling chunk of metal, so why would I?

So a ride begins like this: I can "sense" the impending party long before the the snap and "kkkkrrrriiiissshhh" of the buckles and Velcro on dad's riding boots sends me into paroxysms of rapture. C'mon,c'mon, C'MON!!! Dad, it's time to hit the road!

We usually head north into the Ozarks towards our favorite series of twisties. It takes approximately two hours to ride from the Casa to the upper end of AR 123 at Mt Judea, but that's just fine with me; a ride doesn't even begin until after the second tank of gas. It takes at least that long to clear the cobwebs of civilization from inside one's head.

We usually stop at the Mt Judea General Store to check road conditions and the possible presence of the local constabulary, or "Mr Mobile Reality" as dad refers to them. Then we saddle up and start to roll; the road starts with a series of uber-tight switchbacks, the road clawing it's way up the mountside through a series of curves so tight and steep that it seems in mid turn like you can see your own headlight staring back at you. I've heard that the scenery is beautiful up in these parts, but I can't comment, as this is a section where it's all about the road; I must admit that, while this is dad's favorite section, the twists and turns are bit abrupt for me,

But it's all part of the ride.

Then the curves start to open up and sweep through the peaks and hollows of the Arkansas Grand Canyon; this is the kind of riding I live for. As we dive into the corners, I keep my chest against dad's back and my head over whichever shoulder that is dipping low; this contact keeps us connected as we carve the road. A curve is not just a solitary change in the journey, but an asphalt trebuchet serving to slingshot us into the next apex, and then the next, and so on. I believe that this is as close to dancing as man and canine will ever achieve, but its not a waltz, or even a jitterbug, but more like a salsa, with both parties involved both leading and following. Ginger Rogers danced every step with Fred Astaire, but did it backwards and in high heels; just sayin'.

Then we hit the interstate and head home towards the Casa; by this time, I'm usually whupped, and spend this time with my head still on dad's shoulder, but now dozing, ears popping in the wind while all of the amazing odors are funneled around his helmet and firehosed directly into my twitching snout. This straight section is the part of any trip that is usually decried by most motorcyclists as boring, but not to me...

It's all part of the same ride.

Thecharliebravostory.com
716f33da04cf305f23a3c5c6d0411acf.jpg


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
 
what a great piece! :clap:

Thanks dogjaw :thumbsup:
 
Welcome Charlie,
I was contemplating too long about this type of great team... luckily, I have smaller dog/dachshund, and bike is rear rack ready to accommodate it. The uncertainty I am facing is this: will she like it, due to fact that dachshunds are very stubborn and independent, especially mine. Thanks for bringing this up, Charlie. Winter is perfect time for her training and see its effects in spring:biker:
:thumbsup:

d32b2595e4825acc8db5b883f375e1db.jpg


I think, I'll go for this option for Bella:

https://www.petsmart.ca/dog/crates-...oor-portable-dog-crate-47368.html?cgid=100228
 
Thread starter
She would rather ride than breathe... we found her starved almost to death, stuffed inside a dog crate in the middle of nowhere, now she rides everywhere
c6d9f4f4faec9b869bc2aa2af3346bb3.jpg
e9331b61044df3cb18855a4e04493a33.jpg
c15796e90022e199f3d4a377e18bb712.jpg
02277244b38415652eb8755f3c8ad9f1.jpg
9626d9e66b3938d07856e4f429dbf4cf.jpg
f70b4db80a91678b3456c8754bdea7bd.jpg
bbe2338b1a82954b2aea4d4d0acf0109.jpg
926c0e5973ca2c0d382844e0f4149110.jpg
25e260e37184049403da4800d8af152e.jpg


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
 
dogjaw_imp said:
She would rather ride than breathe... we found her starved almost to death, stuffed inside a dog crate in the middle of nowhere, now she rides everywhere
c6d9f4f4faec9b869bc2aa2af3346bb3.jpg
e9331b61044df3cb18855a4e04493a33.jpg
c15796e90022e199f3d4a377e18bb712.jpg
02277244b38415652eb8755f3c8ad9f1.jpg
9626d9e66b3938d07856e4f429dbf4cf.jpg
f70b4db80a91678b3456c8754bdea7bd.jpg
bbe2338b1a82954b2aea4d4d0acf0109.jpg
926c0e5973ca2c0d382844e0f4149110.jpg
25e260e37184049403da4800d8af152e.jpg


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I see she and I have a lot in common :thumbsup:
 
dogjaw' pid='223038' dateline='1542561965 said:
She would rather ride than breathe... we found her starved almost to death, stuffed inside a dog crate in the middle of nowhere, now she rides
everywhere
60cc184e71e6952e621f2d20dee77020.jpg


You ARE a person of great heart...by taking care of brutally abandoned animals ...what's her name?
T:thanks::worship:
 
no eye protection /glasses for the dog ? that what happens with your eyes without glasses happens also with his eyes..
 
What a lovely piece. Thanks so much, dogjaw.
 
That is a lovely story and THANK YOU for being such a kind person , very sad that people do this to innocent animals. After both my wife and I are gone any money left over will not go to our children but to the Asheville Animal Shelters.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
dogjaw' pid='223038' dateline='1542561965 said:
She would rather ride than breathe... we found her starved almost to death, stuffed inside a dog crate in the middle of nowhere, now she rides
everywhere
60cc184e71e6952e621f2d20dee77020.jpg


You ARE a person of great heart...by taking care of brutally abandoned animals ...what's her name?
T:thanks::worship:
Charlie Bravo, based on my infection, er, infatuation, with the Honda CB.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
alprider_imp said:
no eye protection /glasses for the dog ? that what happens with your eyes without glasses happens also with his eyes..
I've been listening to this sermon since day one; I've tried Doggles, even mil spec RexSpecs, to no avail. No problem keeping them on her when we're stopped, but she knows that I can't see her when we're moving, and promptly paws them off... stubborn knucklehead.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top