Why different bikes for different countries?

tbone455_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Can someone give me the reason why Honda doesn't sell all versions of the CB1100 in all markets? I could understand not selling a bike in a country where it just doesn't sell well but why only this color or that variant etc etc?
 
I can't figure it out. Especially in that it seems arbitrary. Black engines here, silver there, black wheels, silver wheels, spokes, colors. I'd like to think their market research is telling them what works, but I just don't see a pattern with this particular bike.
 
Not sure. In Australia we got unpainted engine and wheels, no tank stripe and no ABS option. Must have been to keep the price down to coincide with what they figure the market would pay? Even then they overpriced it initially. Of course we ended up with the three tank colours, so go figure.
 
It absolutely makes no sense to me. :huh:
 
Good question, Mr. Tbone. I think we've all been wondering about that... I sure have. There are more questions than answers regarding that. Like why is the US getting a DLX model, while the rest of the world gets an EX model w/ spoked wheels? WTF? Are they not the same bike other than the wheels? At this point I'm getting a little reluctant to buy a 2014 because there's absolutely no telling what Honda will ship out next year.
 
Road dog..that is a thought. If I were wanting a spoked model, by that I mean spokes were important to me, I'd be inclined to wait another year to see if the EX makes it here. If I had any thoughts at all that Honda was going to bring out a dual piped model this year (with a host of other upgrades) I wouldn't have pre-bought my 2013 before they were officially announced. I would have waited. I had perfectly good motorcycles in the garage to ride, but I wanted a CB 1100 and I thought 2013 was going to be our one and only shot. These CB 1100s have cost me 3 good motorcycles.....a 2001 Yamaha FZ-1, a 2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk, and a 2006 Yamaha Majesty 400. Snookered I was lol.

Good thing it is a great motorcycle :biker:
 
I agree with Ferret... but since it was
an addition to the stable and not a
replacement, all it cost me was more $$$.
It's worth it because I have a feeling the 14 will be
in the collection for a long time.
 
Maybe Honda is doing some research and market analysis, and for whatever reason the outcome is that in the US people like black painted engines while in Europe they like chrome colored engines... !? :P
 
The ferret_imp said:
Road dog..that is a thought. If I were wanting a spoked model, by that I mean spokes were important to me, I'd be inclined to wait another year to see if the EX makes it here. If I had any thoughts at all that Honda was going to bring out a dual piped model this year (with a host of other upgrades) I wouldn't have pre-bought my 2013 before they were officially announced. I would have waited. I had perfectly good motorcycles in the garage to ride, but I wanted a CB 1100 and I thought 2013 was going to be our one and only shot. These CB 1100s have cost me 3 good motorcycles.....a 2001 Yamaha FZ-1, a 2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk, and a 2006 Yamaha Majesty 400. Snookered I was lol.

Good thing it is a great motorcycle :biker:
Wow. Yeah, impatience is expensive and I've paid for it too. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a '14 DLX but I am going to wait to see if I can sniff out a good deal after the first wave. Right now, brand new '13s are selling for $1,000 off sticker or more.
 
tbone455_imp said:
Can someone give me the reason why Honda doesn't sell all versions of the CB1100 in all markets? I could understand not selling a bike in a country where it just doesn't sell well but why only this color or that variant etc etc?
Its because we're Black.
 
Dac..thought you were hot for a black one.
 
I was, Ferret, I was! But the matching side covers, silver engine & wheels make the '14 DLX close enough. It's such a beauty!

The black standard has too much black - they blacked out EVERYTHING. I will also confess that the black bike, silver engine combo was a nostalgia play taking me back to the '78 Suzuki GS I learned to ride on.

So, maybe I'll just move on and do red this time and keep my memories.

But the dealer has to help me seal the deal!
 
You could wait to see what happens with the 2015 model and then learn that Honda decided to drop US models. I don't understand the marketing ideas of the Japanese companies.
 
Thread starter
ingobohn_imp said:
Maybe Honda is doing some research and market analysis, and for whatever reason the outcome is that in the US people like black painted engines while in Europe they like chrome colored engines... !? :P
yeah, but it is arbitrary. I personally prefer a chromed engine-with ANY color tank etc. And the color choices for different countries, it just don't figure...
The ferret_imp said:
Let me know when you seal the deal so I can add you to the list of those waiting..we are up to 9 on the deluxes now


http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....117&page=8
Hi Ferret and Y'All: Out of sheer boredom today, I stopped in at the local Honda dealership today. I tried to act like I was "in the neighborhood" but the guy called me out: "Your bike should be here soon, dude."
Anyway, they have taken my deposit two weeks ago almost, but have not actually written me up with a Buyer's Order yet. They just gave me a receipt that says "2014 Honda CB1100 on order"
He told me they can't write up a Buyer's Order yet because when they do that, they have to get a VIN number from the factory. And they can't get a VIN number yet because Honda has not yet provided them with the 2014 Dealer Manuals etc for such transactions. I asked if this is typical and he said yes, they drag their feet on this kind of thing.
But isn't that a bit weird that they don't provide their own authorized dealers with the tools they need to lock down a sale? I mean, they don't actually know for sure what options are being offered with these bikes nor the retail prices etc.
 
redbirds_imp said:
You could wait to see what happens with the 2015 model and then learn that Honda decided to drop US models. I don't understand the marketing ideas of the Japanese companies.
Nah. I've waited long enough. I was upset last year about this and I still think big H is a bit out of touch but I am convinced that they got the general concept nailed just about perfectly with this bike. Plus, I am very impressed with the new product they are putting out there in large doses. A lot of it doesn't connect with me but at least they're out there giving it a shot!
 
Same thing happened to me when I bought the Triumph Tiger 800. It had just been released, and no VIN's were available. They kept me up to speed on VIN, build and ship until it arrived, about 3 months time. Pretty common with new bikes, and I guess they figure that if someone is hot for a new model and willing to get an early jump, for the most part they've got the sale already.
 
Ha..I have the owners business card that says "paid in full" on it with his signature..and they already have my 2 trades with the titles signed. I could get really screwed .....
 
IMHO since Honda makes various colors, engine colors, and wheel options; why the heck can't I order it the way I want? You can for cars but the wait is long. Most people don't wait, but I will to get what I want. So I have my 2013, and I can wait to see what comes in 2015. If the stop bring the bike to USA, well I'll run and get one from a dealer. There is always some unsold somewhere. And I will just add it to the collection, I am not selling the current one. Still have more mods to do.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
tbone455_imp said:
Can someone give me the reason why Honda doesn't sell all versions of the CB1100 in all markets? I could understand not selling a bike in a country where it just doesn't sell well but why only this color or that variant etc etc?
There's a lot that goes into it. Part of it is what the marketing department thinks will sell best (i.e. colors, style), part is pricing and part is manufacturing efficiencies.

Price-wise, the U.S. market has traditionally been more price sensitive than the Euro/Asia market. The last series of CB750 in the U.S. was a downgraded version of the Euro/Asia version specifically because of price concerns. I suspect that's also why they deleted the spoked wheels on the '14 DLX.

In manufacturing, bikes built to a specific country's standard are usually built in one batch. Depending on what differences there are, that could limit the number of options they're willing to introduce into the production line. An example would be both the U.S. and Canada each having one color choice in '13, while Europe which also shares emission and other standards with Japan had more.
 
Back
Top