Who waves to CB1100 riders?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I had been out of sport bike riding for a few years prior to my CB1100 purchase in the spring. As far as who waves to who, I've noticed some of the same things going on, but have also noticed a higher percentage of Harley riders waving to me now....is this because I'm on a UJM now? Or has everyone started to accept each other in this day and age?
I normally do not wave first any more, as I feel odd when I wave and they don't wave back....
Any thoughts?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I had been out of sport bike riding for a few years prior to my CB1100 purchase in the spring. As far as who waves to who, I've noticed some of the same things going on, but have also noticed a higher percentage of Harley riders waving to me now....is this because I'm on a UJM now? Or has everyone started to accept each other in this day and age?
I normally do not wave first any more, as I feel odd when I wave and they don't wave back....
Any thoughts?
It's because you are on a UJM imo. Harley riders rarely wave to sportbikes first. Atleast in my experience. However, a lot of those Adv. riders rarely wave to cruisers first. Go figure... When I'm on my Speed Triple I wave regardless...
 
The Harley riders are hit and miss but they do wave. I've even been surprised that some of them who are trying to have the "badass" look going on still wave back.
 
Like Stretch, I almost always give the "subtle wave", but will typically nod if the situation doesn't allow for much else. If they don't wave back, oh well. Maybe they will for the next guy. That said, I haven't noticed getting a higher percentage of waves with the CB1100 than I have with my Hawk GT. Some do and some don't.
 
When I'm on my CB1100, I get waves from Harleys all the time; and when I pull over at breakfast joints / coffee shops friendly to bikers, I'll almost always get one or two Harley riders come over and take a look at the bike and they strike up a favorable conversation with me (which I am happy to oblige!). I think the CB1100 is approachable to Harley fans because the CB1100 reflects a time when most bikes were less specialized than they are now and instead were darn good (but not perfect) at a lot of different roles: fun to ride around town, quick when they needed to be, had engines which were powerful enough and just smooth enough that tank bags and bedrolls were all you need to get yourself across an entire continent at a reasonable pace, could have a pillion on the back without the passenger seated a foot above the rider and folded over like a ridiculous jackknife, and the bikes above all looked beautiful while doing it! Many Harley riders feel the same way about their bikes, that on any particular narrow attribute (like straight line acceleration, or all out canyon carving) the Harley is no match for specialized race-bred motorcycles; but, the Harleys are good all round bikes that their owners are proud to ride and customize to suit their preferences.
 
Gentlemen,

I give a low hand wave to all other riders regardless of what they are on and virtually everybody returns it. In the rare cases they don't, I assume they didn't see me, are in a turn and it wouldn't be safe, or just aren't comfortable with such behavior for whatever reason. All are perfectly acceptable. I don't acknowledge other riders because I expect a response, I do it to salute the bond that all riders share. Riding, boating, flying, skydiving, scuba, and a bunch of other activities each form a brotherhood of passionate individuals and a sense of community that I enjoy. That gesture takes about one second and it communicates, "Good to see you out here, have a great day bro." That's my take on it.

Chip
 
Quote:I give a low hand wave to all other riders regardless of what they are on and virtually everybody returns it.
Ditto for me. Even scooters, but they never wave back. They are a rude bunch of dudes.
 
When I had my scooter, Harley riders waved more than anybody else! On the CB it seems like almost everybody waves. I wave too.
 
I am moving from 'the wave' to 'the nod'. Gradually, but by this time next year, I expect to be a full-on nodder. Or, as some may call me, a nod- on. Exceptions on 25 MPH cruises along the beach, where a wave may still be proffered. I just prefer to keep my hands on the bars, and I've been dumbstruck by cruiser waves in the middle of a turn or on multi lane fast moving highways. So. I'll nod.
 
I do a fair amount of waving (there are exceptions and they involve being in a crowd of bikes). Scooters get the wave and many seemed thrilled that a bigger bike waved at them and return the wave. I even wave at Spyders!

I miss waves from time to time because I'm checking out something ahead or away from the other rider and can't react in time. Intersections usually get a nod.

Maybe I should put a rubber hand on my left mirror. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
I do a fair amount of waving (there are exceptions and they involve being in a crowd of bikes). Scooters get the wave and many seemed thrilled that a bigger bike waved at them and return the wave. I even wave at Spyders!

I miss waves from time to time because I'm checking out something ahead or away from the other rider and can't react in time. Intersections usually get a nod.

Maybe I should put a rubber hand on my left mirror. :)
Same here. I've not yet found my CB1100 (still looking) but currently ride a Honda Fury, Heritage Softail, and R100(RT) and wave at all riders ..... even some scooters. However, I live in a college town and it's darn near overrun with scooters, especially around campus so ...... I don't wave to students. Of course, they seem to never wave to someone on a bike.

Harley riders are pretty much hit or miss. My wife rides a Softail Deluxe and we fall into the "hit" group.
 
I've related this story before, but this has been my experience. I'll wave at almost anything on 2 wheel, 3 if they are at the correct end. When I owned a Honda Shadow, it was easily mistaken for a cruiser and I got the wave from most everyone. Road camouflage I guess.
Switched out to my CB and it seems different. Less from the cruiser types and more from the sport bikers. I dunno if they even know what they are waving at. I get a lot of turned heads. But that could be cause I'm ugly.
When I am stopped, I always get questions about my beautiful restored CB. If I the situation requires, I will correct them.
 
I've found that a full face helmet with a tinted shield keeps folks from getting unduly scared. At first. :rolleyes:
 
I wave to everyone except scooters. Some respond, some don't. I don't care.

I was riding my CBR on a particularly technical patch of road a couple of years ago, coming down off a mountain (South Mountain, for the Phoenicians). In a tight turn, coming the other way, a dude on a Goldwing in full lean waves at me. All I could do was nod, barely; it was all I could do to control my bike, nevermind wave at people. He wasn't going slow, either. I had/have a lot of respect for that guy.
 
Ive seen a couple of riders put there leg out to acknowledge a wave.
I give out Salutes from time to time to change it up but not to Can ams.
 
I wave at all bikes, and usually get a wave back. It seems to be the norm here in Europe. I have also noticed that those who usually don't respond are on a BMW - they must be too good for us mere mortals.
 
I was waving like crazy to a CB1100 rider here in Evansville WI today.
First one I have seen other than mine
The guy musta thought I was goofy, I was in my work truck
 
I too wave to just about anything that remotely resembles a motorcycle...scooters, trikes & other three-wheeler thingies, whatever. Most times I get a wave back; when I don't I either assume the other person didn't see me, or is just a plain old douche bag. Sometimes when the left hand is busy doing something important (most often, holding the clutch in), I'll simply give a nod, or use my right hand to give a salute/wave off the side of the faceshield.

I think it's a good thing....it helps maintain the idea that we're all part of an exclusive club, and wish all our brothers & sisters well, no matter what we choose to ride. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
 
I wave at everybody; sport bikes, scooters, Harleys, three wheelers etc but the most fun I have waving is the grins I get from kids on bicycles when I wave at them!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I had been out of sport bike riding for a few years prior to my CB1100 purchase in the spring. As far as who waves to who, I've noticed some of the same things going on, but have also noticed a higher percentage of Harley riders waving to me now....is this because I'm on a UJM now? Or has everyone started to accept each other in this day and age?
I normally do not wave first any more, as I feel odd when I wave and they don't wave back....
Any thoughts?
I just wave and don't worry about it. About half of Harley riders wave back. And, you have to remember, maybe they are concentrating on something more important than waving back at the time. I often miss waving back because of traffic or something else.
 
Back
Top