Who uses physical bike locks?

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
This thread was motivated by posts:

CB1100 Lock

... and ...

CB1100 Lock

The question is:

Who uses physical locks to secure their beast?

There is another thread that discusses tracking technology and similar. The hope is this thread discusses only physical third-party locking hardware.

Also, when do you apply the lock? Long term storage? Overnight travel? In urban centers? Other situations? All of the above? None of the above?
 
sheesh, unless I am staying overnight in a motel, I never even lock the forks.
 
I have a disk lock for times I travel, but I never travel. We have a lot of bike thievery in the DC area and I used to worry since my bike is parked in the driveway and easily seen from the road, but it seems this particular model of superbike just isn't as desirable as others. I dunno why :angel:
 
There are some advantages of riding a bike that weighs 550 pounds and only has 88 hp lol
 
Never ever have I used a physical lock for a bike. Yes, occasionally we hear about a random bike getting stolen but it is such an unlikely thing to happen. We are proud of the level of safety in the UAE, there is never a need to lock anything really, it's quite common to leave the car running while you run into a store for a few minutes, leave you bag on the bike, keys in the ignition, bags unattended at tbe beach and in parks etc. It's not something we ever think about

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I rarely use an external lock, as I am almost always nearby. But there are areas in the city I would definitely use one, though I am almost never in those areas. If I was on a trip, I definitely would use it.

The other advantage of u-locks is to secure a full-face helmet. My helmets have European click-in style buckles, so helmet locks aren't any use. I wouldn't trust helmet locks anyway, as the strap leaves it so vulnerable.

I worked at a BMW dealer in Hollywood where a new BMW was just rolled off the showroom floor in broad daylight and never found.

At another dealership, in 2 different occasions, a service bike was repaired, waiting to be picked up. Their owners casually came with a duplicate key, started them up, and rode them away. We would notice they were missing only because there were extra keys on the key board.

We didn't call the cops. Both times, my boss repo'ed them, going to their houses, driving them back to the shop. We would then call the owner up, tell him his bike was ready, how much it was, cash only, and ask "when did you want to pick it up?"

The customer came in the next day, said nothing, paid cash, and we never saw either of them again.
 
Built in motion detect remote alarm system. ;-)

With insurance sometimes I wonder....what an I protecting...I might be better off to just cash out and start over lol.
 
LOL on most of my bikes with high mileage I often think someone would be doing me a favor to steal it. The insurance would probably pay better than a prospective buyer.
 
I don’t insure mine for theft. It’s not worth the premium.

Forty plus years ago, on my ‘78 CB750F, I installed a battery-powered plastic license plate frame which contained two small mercury switches. If the bike was disturbed, the switches would close and the alarm in the device would shriek. A quick whack with a baseball bat would probably render it useless. I’m sure the Ferret remembers them.

Since then, I’ve only bothered to lock my helmet to the bike in urban settings, using a Kryptonite U-lock.
 
Like the Ferret, I seldom bother even to lock the forks.
 
I used to put physical bike locks on my bikes until the day my VFR800 was stolen in the middle of Geneva during the afternoon while I was at work. It had locks on it etc., but the guys who stole it just pulled up with a van, got out and lifted the bike in the back of the van and drove off. I didn't see them, obviously, but the police were able to confirm this to me afterwards.

After that I gave up with the hassle. Clearly if somebody wants to steal the bike they will.
 
Thread starter
Henrik_imp said:
I used to put physical bike locks on my bikes until the day my VFR800 was stolen in the middle of Geneva during the afternoon while I was at work. It had locks on it etc., but the guys who stole it just pulled up with a van, got out and lifted the bike in the back of the van and drove off. I didn't see them, obviously, but the police were able to confirm this to me afterwards.

After that I gave up with the hassle. Clearly if somebody wants to steal the bike they will.
That is not fun Henrik.

Sounds like for higher risk areas (where ever we think that may be - e.g., NYC?), chaining down or at least to another motorcycle will make a lift theft probably not worth it.

Although, in rural areas, it would not surprise me that a few machines outside a sleepy motel/hotel wouldn't be lifted at 3 am in the morning. But again, a chain between machines might help avert that from happening.
 
It is not fun, but at the end of the day that is also why I pay insurance.

I would hate for the CB to be stolen, but otherwise it is just an opportunity to get something new. The good thing is that our CBs do not seem to high on the list for bike thefts.
 
I only carry liability and uninsured-motorist insurance coverage, so a lock makes more sense for me. I garage my bikes at home, so theft is less an issue for me.
 
I have the Honda U lock that lives under the seat and is used in fairly low risk areas for short periods of time. For a bit more security I also use a heavy duty chain with disc lock. I use this to chain the bike to something solid. Insurance can't replace the bike if it isn't made anymore.
 
I use a 1" Cobralink lock ( no longer made) every night as my bike is parked in an open lot in my apartment complex. Have used this lock on my last 3 cycles no one has ever messed with them. Bike is always covered, too.
 
If I was in that situation I would probably use some kind of lock too Irv. Bad enough worrying about your bike one night outside of a motel room, but to experience that EVERY night, would be a nightmare
 
Back
Top