who is in Maggie Valley?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Saw 2 other CB 1100 today... one on 80 north just south of the BRP with a grou-p of bikes

the other parked with a scooter in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Maggie Valley. Has Georgia plates on it. Thought it might be GCarper,but there is no G Carper registered at the Comfort Inn.

Anyhow let a note on the seat referencing the CB1100forum.com just in case.

ride is going good. 10 hours/475 miles Monday. 10 hours 314 miles on the reduced speed BRP. Needs a shield on the freeway. needs a better seat no matter where you are if you are going to spend 10 hours in a row sitting on it lol.

weather has been great if not a little hot down on the flats. brp is closed between Mt Mitchell and Ashville.Cool on mountain top.Lotsa critters out first thing in the AM. Almost hit deer, turkeys,rabbits and did hit a snake...a big ol snake. Lots of pics to post when I get home in a few days.
 
Cool, I used to do multi-day trips on my 86 ninja( Maine, New Hampshire, NY, VA, BRPW)
Not sure if I will get back in to those long trips with the CB1100, then again, I am 25 years older now too.....
Look forward to see your pictures posted to a website !!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Saw 2 other CB 1100 today... one on 80 north just south of the BRP with a grou-p of bikes

the other parked with a scooter in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Maggie Valley. Has Georgia plates on it. Thought it might be GCarper,but there is no G Carper registered at the Comfort Inn.

Anyhow let a note on the seat referencing the CB1100forum.com just in case.

ride is going good. 10 hours/475 miles Monday. 10 hours 314 miles on the reduced speed BRP. Needs a shield on the freeway. needs a better seat no matter where you are if you are going to spend 10 hours in a row sitting on it lol.

weather has been great if not a little hot down on the flats. brp is closed between Mt Mitchell and Ashville.Cool on mountain top.Lotsa critters out first thing in the AM. Almost hit deer, turkeys,rabbits and did hit a snake...a big ol snake. Lots of pics to post when I get home in a few days.
About the only critter left to see is a bear. Looking forward to seeing your photos. I never get tired of the scenery in western N.C.
 
Thread starter
today another 10 plus hour day. not sure of mileage. Rode from Maggie Valley thru Cherokee up to Fontana Dam then rode the Dragon to the outlook and back, down into Robbinsville for lunch, then did the Cherahola end to end both directions with stop at Bald River Falls,then back thru Cherokee over to Maggie Valley. Got rained on for about 30 mins on the way back. of course left rain gear in room since there was only a slight chance of rain lol.

tomorrow wheels thru time museum. headed home Friday.
 
Hello from Maggie Valley,
Hi Ferret... got your note first thing this morning but couldn't get connected to Internet this morning to reply. When I saw thd note I was afraid someone hit my bike! Was glad it was a note from you instead.

My name is Kathi and have been so busy riding the CB and my other bike which is a Concours C-14. I live in Acworth, GA and this is my first longer ride on the CB. I've been riding some cool back roads on the America Rides maps which are well worth the $$. I've clocked about 600 miles on this trip so far and am thinking about a Corbin seat. I figure that I will clock about 1K miles on ghis trip.

Are you still here in MV?
KVdreamer


The ferret_imp said:
Saw 2 other CB 1100 today... one on 80 north just south of the BRP with a grou-p of bikes

the other parked with a scooter in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Maggie Valley. Has Georgia plates on it. Thought it might be GCarper,but there is no G Carper registered at the Comfort Inn.

Anyhow let a note on the seat referencing the CB1100forum.com just in case.

ride is going good. 10 hours/475 miles Monday. 10 hours 314 miles on the reduced speed BRP. Needs a shield on the freeway. needs a better seat no matter where you are if you are going to spend 10 hours in a row sitting on it lol.

weather has been great if not a little hot down on the flats. brp is closed between Mt Mitchell and Ashville.Cool on mountain top.Lotsa critters out first thing in the AM. Almost hit deer, turkeys,rabbits and did hit a snake...a big ol snake. Lots of pics to post when I get home in a few days.
 
Thread starter
Hi Kathi..found your note on the seat of my bike this morning at the Wheels Thru Time Museum. we keep missing each other but glad you found the forum at least. Good to hear you are enjoying your CB. My first long trip on the CB as well and you are right for touring the weak link is the seat. My other main ride is an ST 1300. I am leaving in the morning headed back to Ohio. Going to be eating dinner at Harneys? last restaurant on right going west out of town, same side of street as Comfort Inn about 4 pm if you are out and about.

Glad to have crossed your path. Dont be a stranger here on the forum. Far as I know we have only one other female rider. Good to have another.
 
Hey Ferret
It was cool to see you ride by this morning and to see your bike at the museum but sorry we didn't get a chance to meet in person. Thanks for the dinner invite but sorry I couldn't make it. I didn't get back until about 6:30. I'm headed home tomorrow too. Happy travels and hope your riding weather is good. I know I'll miss the coolness of many places here as I head home to hot & humid.
KV
 
I'm looking forward to the full report and the photos ferret.

By the way, in addition to Dangergirl416, we also have McSpofforson on board. There might be some other female members here that I'm not aware of. Good to have you here KV.
 
Thread starter
Just rolled in about 45 minutes ago. Great trip. 7 states, 1565 miles, 5 days. Bike ran like a dream....the last 6 1/2 hours/371 miles at 70 plus mph only stopping for gas and a small Wendy's Chicken Berry salad 50 miles from home. Never even needed a chain adjustment although I did lube it once. Really nice motorcycle.

I went with a buddy who rode his wife's 1200 custom Harley which he has altered with smaller diameter front wheel, mid pegs and longer rear shocks so it sits very " standard motorcycle like". We switched for awhile one day, and when I pried the CB back out from under him he said the only thing the two bikes had in common were they were both motorcycles. The Honda was superior in every way except driver footpeg placement, and his seat was better he said. His mid pegs WERE just right, compared to our up and back pegs. His seat felt like a Corbin to me, really hard. No biggie. The rest of the CB more than makes up for those. plus its better looking!

My CB has over 4000 miles on it now. Thinking about taking it down to West Virginia to run some crooked roads in Sept with my son on his FZ, my sons FIL on an ST 1300, and my younger brother on his FZ.Should be a hoot!

Ill do a proper ride report with pics when I get a chance over the next few days. Guth. How can I post more than 10 pics?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Just rolled in about 45 minutes ago. Great trip. 7 states, 1565 miles, 5 days. Bike ran like a dream....the last 6 1/2 hours/371 miles at 70 plus mph only stopping for gas and a small Wendy's Chicken Berry salad 50 miles from home. Never even needed a chain adjustment although I did lube it once. Really nice motorcycle.

I went with a buddy who rode his wife's 1200 custom Harley which he has altered with smaller diameter front wheel, mid pegs and longer rear shocks so it sits very " standard motorcycle like". We switched for awhile one day, and when I pried the CB back out from under him he said the only thing the two bikes had in common were they were both motorcycles. The Honda was superior in every way except driver footpeg placement, and his seat was better he said. His mid pegs WERE just right, compared to our up and back pegs. His seat felt like a Corbin to me, really hard. No biggie. The rest of the CB more than makes up for those. plus its better looking!

My CB has over 4000 miles on it now. Thinking about taking it down to West Virginia to run some crooked roads in Sept with my son on his FZ, my sons FIL on an ST 1300, and my younger brother on his FZ.Should be a hoot!

Ill do a proper ride report with pics when I get a chance over the next few days. Guth. How can I post more than 10 pics?
Hey Ferret, sorry we couldn't connect at Wheels thru Time. I was over in that area Tues visiting friends from Florida. Drove the car over and a coil went out on #1 cyl. lucky for me a shop had one, I dreaded driving back to Gaffney on 5 cyls. I'm at 5k miles on my CB and the chain has not needed an adjustment yet. keep checking and thinking it's gotta need one "now". By the way mine and wife's home city is Lancaster OH. and let me know about your WV trip. Was up there last fall on my FZ1 and had a disagreement with a guard rail.
 
You have me beat on miles & number of states Ferret! I just got home from my 5 day 4 state trip of 1026 miles. My CB has just under 2k miles. Abot 80% of my ride was on twisty roads and I rode 7-10 hours per day. What a fun riding vacation this was... while I was rained on a few times I decided not to bother with rain gear and intead enjoyed the "air conditioning." In the higher elevations of NC & GA it was blessedly cool which is such a terrific change from my more normal hazy, hot & humid weather at home. Big grins for my first long trip on the CB. Tomorrow comes a good bike washing, chain clean & lube and a look at the map to decide where to ride next.
KV
 
Thread starter
You know we should probably plan a rally in Maggie Valley. Sounds like Half the forum already goes there lol.

GCarper..motorcycles and guardrails don't mix. Thought you knew that lol. I have some great routes la id out in W VA. We went down and rode them 2 years ago. Had a great time.

Kath..sounds like you had an outstanding trip. We only got rained on once for about 30 mins, but it was a soaker. Of course I had left my rain gear at the motel because it was o nice out when we left.
 
Back
Top