Who is considering trading to a 2014?

I ride on the highway about 5 times a season and never for very long. I get it if you guys who do a lot of highway want to take a bath on trade in value and upgrade to the '14. I know which gear I am in, not that it really matters because you can do anything in any gear just about. The only gear you have to know you are in is first, and if you don't know that, I can't help you. I like the black engine, red tank, and the wheels are fine as they are. So I am sticking with what I have. The love affair I have with my bike is still in the honeymoon phase. It has everything I need.
 
I would have rather had an '14 just because of a newer year model. I don't care for spoke wheels personally due to the amount of time to clean and polish. That being said im not a fan of chrome at all. I really love the black engine and that was on my must have list. Ill be blacking most things out if i can. The only thing that appeals to me on the '14 is the 6 speed. No reason why, just because. I cant wait to see the next color though and compare it to the red. This red is by far the best looking color I have personally ,seen on a production bike.( Not to say there my not be better paint on others) Red would not have my first choice, but it sure looks awesome!
 
The first page of this thread was great!

The 2013 CB1100 is the perfect bike for me. From 10 mph on a steep dirt path to 80 mph cruising on the highway, this bike does it all and does it well.

If Honda brings the EX over I'd seriously consider buying one, especially if I could swap out wheels and some accessories.

Probably end up parting with $20K after all is said and done. But what a bike!
 
I need a set of spokes.
I think the new bike is so improved, except those ugly wheels, everyone should trade up ASAP :D
To help with your loss I'll give up some cash on a rim swap. :beerchug:
 
Guth_imp said:
Foolardi,

I'm not exactly sure what your game is. Everyone here comes from different life experiences and biking backgrounds be it the number of years we've ridden, types or sizes of bikes that we've ridden, where we've ridden, etc., etc.. None of that makes those experiences any more or less valid than yours, just different. But valid just the same.

Guth
I'm not here to cause a problem with my Motorcycle
opinion.So far this Forums seems pretty nice.
After I bought a 2006 M109 I went to a M109 Forum.
The Forum was started by a guy who ended up being about as
bad as a Nazi. I eventually figured out why he started his Forum.
So he could advertise his approach to Mods for the bike.Which included everything PLUS. He eventually was hawking how great
everything was he did to modify the M109.Which meant voiding the
warranty.He dint care one whit.It was all about him and how
every member needs to take his advice.Like some Woody Hayes
football coach. Or Billy Knight at Indiana.I liked both coaches
but it was Always Their way or the Highway.
The guy who ran that forum was also a Bully.No doubt about it.
He constantly joked about whenever I brought up my Rune.
He openly challenged me as to actually owning one.
He belittled me at every chance,insisting to other member,
that No Way did I own a Rune.Therefore whatever input I had
as to Mods was bunk.He also tracked the ISP of every member
and made sure everyone knew it.
I love talking motorcycles.I don't ride as much as 10 years ago
but I haven't lost my interest.
I am about as cheery a fellow as can be.However I don't like
being conned about motorcycle stuff I know to be false.
Motorcycle are like food.Every biker tends to have their likes
and dislikes.Not every Harley owner likes every model Harley.
Dig Daddio !
But thanks for the Corrective Criticism.
 
I like the CB1100 so much, that I would consider adding a 2014, and taking it in a different direction to the 2013. I did this with two Triumph Bonnevilles, buying a second one at a steal price from someone looking to move. I then kept the first one as a retro- standard, and modded the second to a more cafe- style. I tend to like what I like, and, based on financial realities, would not have a problem owning two CB1100's. But I don't believe I'd trade my Red 2013 in for the relatively modest changes on the EX.
 
Capo_imp said:
I like the CB1100 so much, that I would consider adding a 2014, and taking it in a different direction to the 2013. I did this with two Triumph Bonnevilles, buying a second one at a steal price from someone looking to move. I then kept the first one as a retro- standard, and modded the second to a more cafe- style. I tend to like what I like, and, based on financial realities, would not have a problem owning two CB1100's. But I don't believe I'd trade my Red 2013 in for the relatively modest changes on the EX.
I read a few CB1100 reviews that mention that this model isn't
cheap or inexpensive.As if it's kinda expensive.What to you think
about that.It's in roughly the same price range as a 12oo Sportster.
One could say that the 883 Sportster is inexpensive.
Maybe that's why Honda priced the CB 1100 at $ 9,999.
They dint dare want to break the $ 10,ooo threshold.
I'm rather indifferent about it.But if the bike was $ 12,ooo like
the M109 or VTX 1800 I never would have bought.
Because there is a limit I'll pay depending entirely on engine cc.
That is why to this day I never understood how Harley's could
ask $ 15,000 - $ 16,ooo for the sweet looking Duece model
going back to 2000.The engine was the same as a Dyna model.
 
_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Foolardi,

I'm not exactly sure what your game is. Everyone here comes from different life experiences and biking backgrounds be it the number of years we've ridden, types or sizes of bikes that we've ridden, where we've ridden, etc., etc.. None of that makes those experiences any more or less valid than yours, just different. But valid just the same.

Guth
I'm not here to cause a problem with my Motorcycle
opinion.So far this Forums seems pretty nice.
After I bought a 2006 M109 I went to a M109 Forum.
The Forum was started by a guy who ended up being about as
bad as a Nazi. I eventually figured out why he started his Forum.
So he could advertise his approach to Mods for the bike.Which included everything PLUS. He eventually was hawking how great
everything was he did to modify the M109.Which meant voiding the
warranty.He dint care one whit.It was all about him and how
every member needs to take his advice.Like some Woody Hayes
football coach. Or Billy Knight at Indiana.I liked both coaches
but it was Always Their way or the Highway.
The guy who ran that forum was also a Bully.No doubt about it.
He constantly joked about whenever I brought up my Rune.
He openly challenged me as to actually owning one.
He belittled me at every chance,insisting to other member,
that No Way did I own a Rune.Therefore whatever input I had
as to Mods was bunk.He also tracked the ISP of every member
and made sure everyone knew it.
I love talking motorcycles.I don't ride as much as 10 years ago
but I haven't lost my interest.
I am about as cheery a fellow as can be.However I don't like
being conned about motorcycle stuff I know to be false.
Motorcycle are like food.Every biker tends to have their likes
and dislikes.Not every Harley owner likes every model Harley.
Dig Daddio !
But thanks for the Corrective Criticism.
I'm not here to cause a problem with my Motorcycle
opinion.So far this Forums seems pretty nice.
After I bought a 2006 M109 I went to a M109 Forum.
The Forum was started by a guy who ended up being about as
bad as a Nazi. I eventually figured out why he started his Forum.
So he could advertise his approach to Mods for the bike.Which included everything PLUS. He eventually was hawking how great
everything was he did to modify the M109.Which meant voiding the
warranty.He dint care one whit.It was all about him and how
every member needs to take his advice.Like some Woody Hayes
football coach. Or Billy Knight at Indiana.I liked both coaches
but it was Always Their way or the Highway.
The guy who ran that forum was also a Bully.No doubt about it.
He constantly joked about whenever I brought up my Rune.
He openly challenged me as to actually owning one.
He belittled me at every chance,insisting to other member,
that No Way did I own a Rune.Therefore whatever input I had
as to Mods was bunk.He also tracked the ISP of every member
and made sure everyone knew it.
I love talking motorcycles.I don't ride as much as 10 years ago
but I haven't lost my interest.
I am about as cheery a fellow as can be.However I don't like
being conned about motorcycle stuff I know to be false.
Motorcycle are like food.Every biker tends to have their likes
and dislikes.Not every Harley owner likes every model Harley.
Dig Daddio !
But thanks for the Corrective Criticism.
OK so here's the deal// Stay on topic, stop writing short story's clogging up members threads and there will be no need for Corrective Criticism.:thumbsup:
 
I guess the price has yet to be decided for the '14 since its not official yet. The msrp on the '13 was at the upper end of my budget. But the feel of sitting on this bike felt so natural to me I had to have it. Not bad considering all things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
CIP57_imp said:
_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Foolardi,

I'm not exactly sure what your game is. Everyone here comes from different life experiences and biking backgrounds be it the number of years we've ridden, types or sizes of bikes that we've ridden, where we've ridden, etc., etc.. None of that makes those experiences any more or less valid than yours, just different. But valid just the same.

Guth
I'm not here to cause a problem with my Motorcycle
opinion.So far this Forums seems pretty nice.
After I bought a 2006 M109 I went to a M109 Forum.
The Forum was started by a guy who ended up being about as
bad as a Nazi. I eventually figured out why he started his Forum.
So he could advertise his approach to Mods for the bike.Which included everything PLUS. He eventually was hawking how great
everything was he did to modify the M109.Which meant voiding the
warranty.He dint care one whit.It was all about him and how
every member needs to take his advice.Like some Woody Hayes
football coach. Or Billy Knight at Indiana.I liked both coaches
but it was Always Their way or the Highway.
The guy who ran that forum was also a Bully.No doubt about it.
He constantly joked about whenever I brought up my Rune.
He openly challenged me as to actually owning one.
He belittled me at every chance,insisting to other member,
that No Way did I own a Rune.Therefore whatever input I had
as to Mods was bunk.He also tracked the ISP of every member
and made sure everyone knew it.
I love talking motorcycles.I don't ride as much as 10 years ago
but I haven't lost my interest.
I am about as cheery a fellow as can be.However I don't like
being conned about motorcycle stuff I know to be false.
Motorcycle are like food.Every biker tends to have their likes
and dislikes.Not every Harley owner likes every model Harley.
Dig Daddio !
But thanks for the Corrective Criticism.
I'm not here to cause a problem with my Motorcycle
opinion.So far this Forums seems pretty nice.
After I bought a 2006 M109 I went to a M109 Forum.
The Forum was started by a guy who ended up being about as
bad as a Nazi. I eventually figured out why he started his Forum.
So he could advertise his approach to Mods for the bike.Which included everything PLUS. He eventually was hawking how great
everything was he did to modify the M109.Which meant voiding the
warranty.He dint care one whit.It was all about him and how
every member needs to take his advice.Like some Woody Hayes
football coach. Or Billy Knight at Indiana.I liked both coaches
but it was Always Their way or the Highway.
The guy who ran that forum was also a Bully.No doubt about it.
He constantly joked about whenever I brought up my Rune.
He openly challenged me as to actually owning one.
He belittled me at every chance,insisting to other member,
that No Way did I own a Rune.Therefore whatever input I had
as to Mods was bunk.He also tracked the ISP of every member
and made sure everyone knew it.
I love talking motorcycles.I don't ride as much as 10 years ago
but I haven't lost my interest.
I am about as cheery a fellow as can be.However I don't like
being conned about motorcycle stuff I know to be false.
Motorcycle are like food.Every biker tends to have their likes
and dislikes.Not every Harley owner likes every model Harley.
Dig Daddio !
But thanks for the Corrective Criticism.
OK so here's the deal// Stay on topic, stop writing short story's clogging up members threads and there will be no need for Corrective Criticism.:thumbsup:
I'm not here to cause a problem with my Motorcycle
opinion.So far this Forums seems pretty nice.
After I bought a 2006 M109 I went to a M109 Forum.
The Forum was started by a guy who ended up being about as
bad as a Nazi. I eventually figured out why he started his Forum.
So he could advertise his approach to Mods for the bike.Which included everything PLUS. He eventually was hawking how great
everything was he did to modify the M109.Which meant voiding the
warranty.He dint care one whit.It was all about him and how
every member needs to take his advice.Like some Woody Hayes
football coach. Or Billy Knight at Indiana.I liked both coaches
but it was Always Their way or the Highway.
The guy who ran that forum was also a Bully.No doubt about it.
He constantly joked about whenever I brought up my Rune.
He openly challenged me as to actually owning one.
He belittled me at every chance,insisting to other member,
that No Way did I own a Rune.Therefore whatever input I had
as to Mods was bunk.He also tracked the ISP of every member
and made sure everyone knew it.
I love talking motorcycles.I don't ride as much as 10 years ago
but I haven't lost my interest.
I am about as cheery a fellow as can be.However I don't like
being conned about motorcycle stuff I know to be false.
Motorcycle are like food.Every biker tends to have their likes
and dislikes.Not every Harley owner likes every model Harley.
Dig Daddio !
But thanks for the Corrective Criticism.
OK so here's the deal// Stay on topic, stop writing short story's clogging up members threads and there will be no need for Corrective Criticism.:thumbsup:
I get it.Keep it short and sweet.How short.?
kenfyoozed_imp said:
I guess the price has yet to be decided for the '14 since its not official yet. The msrp on the '13 was at the upper end of my budget. But the feel of sitting on this bike felt so natural to me I had to have it. Not bad considering all things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 Grand may be a bit overpriced considering it has a chain
drive.That should be the price of a shaft-drive.
But then it does have chromed fenders instead plastic and
a really fine gas tank.But then the wheels are thin.
I prefer a 180 rear tire and Dunlop.Certainly not Bridgestone.
Even though I'm impressed thus far with the sturdiness of the
Battalax. The 240 rear Dunlop on a M109 costs $ 600 OEM.
Ridiculous.But true.
 
Maybe IF the 14's are released other companies will make more tires to choose from. And possibly squeeze a but larger/wider on the rear. I haven't checked clearance issues but that'll not even be possible.

IF '14s come and IF they are 17" then we could be worse off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ultimately the market determines the price. Any fresh new motorcycle will get an initial burst of early buyers, who generally pay close to list and get on the wait list. But then, the market calls the price. Look at the VFR1200. A great bike, but at $15K and up, virtually no market in the US. You can still find 2010's in crates or on the floor for $10K, and lo mile used ones go for $8500. That's a heck of a lot of bike for the money, if you like the bike.

I don't think the CB1100 is priced too high for the quality and style it delivers. It's at the high end of the retro- standard competitive set, but actual transaction costs are pretty much in line. You can get a Bonnie or V7 for less, or a bunch more BHP for less in more modern, liquid cooled stuff like an FZ09. But, if the CB11 floats your boat, it's worth the dosh.
 
Trading a 13 for a 14 would make a dealer VERY happy for sure. If a fellow wasn't in a hurry he'd be well ahead to sell and buy the new 2014. I'll bet you they'd allow $5000 or less on a trade even if it had almost no miles on it. Suspect unless it was the 6th gear you just had to have you'd be better off just keeping the 2013 and making changes that better float the boat.

I've did a trade like that to get the CB1100 but it was ugly money. Traded a 2010 Saber. About 1000 miles and I was allowed about 5 for it.

The way to "play" is to buy used bikes from guys who want to do silly things like we all do and to buy them right, keep them a year or so and sell privately to move on to the next. Keeping the dealers out of the mix makes it relatively doable. Still lose money but not bags full.

Some times a fellow just has to have it which is my excuse.
 
meowguy_imp said:
I ride on the highway about 5 times a season and never for very long. I get it if you guys who do a lot of highway want to take a bath on trade in value and upgrade to the '14. I know which gear I am in, not that it really matters because you can do anything in any gear just about. The only gear you have to know you are in is first, and if you don't know that, I can't help you. I like the black engine, red tank, and the wheels are fine as they are. So I am sticking with what I have. The love affair I have with my bike is still in the honeymoon phase. It has everything I need.
Sure? :D Honeymoon sounds different... ;)
 
I will for certain buy the 2014 EX model but only if it comes with the silver engine.
I like the 4 into 2 and hopefully can put that also on my 2013,which I will keep as I really love it and has Vin # 000002 . For days with a lot of interstate riding I use my 94 or 95 CB1000,altough I find the CB1100 also ok for that but not as good as the others.
We should all hope that the CB1100 will be sold in 2014,more aftermarket parts and probably a better tire selection.
 
Capo_imp said:
Ultimately the market determines the price. Any fresh new motorcycle will get an initial burst of early buyers, who generally pay close to list and get on the wait list. But then, the market calls the price. Look at the VFR1200. A great bike, but at $15K and up, virtually no market in the US. You can still find 2010's in crates or on the floor for $10K, and lo mile used ones go for $8500. That's a heck of a lot of bike for the money, if you like the bike.

I don't think the CB1100 is priced too high for the quality and style it delivers. It's at the high end of the retro- standard competitive set, but actual transaction costs are pretty much in line. You can get a Bonnie or V7 for less, or a bunch more BHP for less in more modern, liquid cooled stuff like an FZ09. But, if the CB11 floats your boat, it's worth the dosh.
Bonneyvilles have a substantially smaller engine { 865 cc } which
is near 300 cc less.At $ 9,100.Their really not in the same class
as the CB 1100.Id' say one step below.Like comparing a
600 cc sportbike with a 900 cc one.I might not have even
considered the CB 1100 if it had a 750 cc engine.
Again,with me the engine is the most important thing.
Which is why I wonder what Burt Munro could have gotten
out of this powerplant.I mean Anthony Hopkins.
 
Capo_imp said:
I like the CB1100 so much, that I would consider adding a 2014, and taking it in a different direction to the 2013. I did this with two Triumph Bonnevilles, buying a second one at a steal price from someone looking to move. I then kept the first one as a retro- standard, and modded the second to a more cafe- style. I tend to like what I like, and, based on financial realities, would not have a problem owning two CB1100's. But I don't believe I'd trade my Red 2013 in for the relatively modest changes on the EX.
That's a great idea!
I'd love to keep the Original Crispy 2013 CB1100 Collector's Edition completely bone-stock. Then I'd get a garden-variety 2014 and turn it into a killer café bike. Clip-ons, bread-loaf tank, gaiters, no front fender, number plates, tail-cone. Fun!
 
_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
Ultimately the market determines the price. Any fresh new motorcycle will get an initial burst of early buyers, who generally pay close to list and get on the wait list. But then, the market calls the price. Look at the VFR1200. A great bike, but at $15K and up, virtually no market in the US. You can still find 2010's in crates or on the floor for $10K, and lo mile used ones go for $8500. That's a heck of a lot of bike for the money, if you like the bike.

I don't think the CB1100 is priced too high for the quality and style it delivers. It's at the high end of the retro- standard competitive set, but actual transaction costs are pretty much in line. You can get a Bonnie or V7 for less, or a bunch more BHP for less in more modern, liquid cooled stuff like an FZ09. But, if the CB11 floats your boat, it's worth the dosh.
Bonneyvilles have a substantially smaller engine { 865 cc } which
is near 300 cc less.At $ 9,100.Their really not in the same class
as the CB 1100.Id' say one step below.Like comparing a
600 cc sportbike with a 900 cc one.I might not have even
considered the CB 1100 if it had a 750 cc engine.
Again,with me the engine is the most important thing.
Which is why I wonder what Burt Munro could have gotten
out of this powerplant.I mean Anthony Hopkins.
I have the same mind set on this. I wanted a classic styles bike, looked long and hard at the Bonnie's. I agree the CB is a step abouve in at least appearance and price. Never had the opportunity to ride a Bonneville.
 
Back
Top