Who here is an Adventure motorcyclist

On the subject of food, when I was on the tour of Chile and Peru, eating was sometimes an adventure.
I'm not a picky eater and will eat just about anything on an average North American restaurant menu, but down there it was often by guess and by golly what I had ordered. Many menus were only in Spanish, but some were bi-lingual.
Carl, my traveling companion, was fairly fluent in Spanish and would translate and describe the menu, but even then it was sometimes a surprise. I didn't spit anything out, but there were some items I left on the plate and ate around them.
The only time I nearly lost it was when I ordered a seafood special and it came laced with octopus tentacles with the suckers still on. I had to look away for a while until I had mustered up enough courage to look at the meal. I pushed them aside and ate the rest which was very good - but I did all I could to not look at the tentacles :D
When we arrived in Cusco the menus were very international and that's where I had the best meals.
 
Rocky, I guess you must have had guinea pig while in Peru then.

I do a fair amount of back country skiing in winter, and obviously one of the basic security items is a beacon should you get caught in an avalanche. I would guess that there must exist some sort of similar beacon you can bring with you on an adventure bike ride in case you are out of range for mobile phones, and you have a serious accident.
 
Thread starter
That's what I mean about being an adventure motorcyclist, there is so much more involved than just riding a motorcycle, which can be difficult enough in itself, under certain circumstances. Falling off, breaking down, running out of gas, getting hurt, getting lost with no one knowing exactly where you are, all come into play when aboard the bike.

Eating becomes involved when you get off the bike, but can be just as big a deal to some.

Btw Rocky my brother said that is the part of the Octopus, you eat, It's actually pretty good, but a little chewy. You cut it into sections to eat it. I'm with you though. I'm not eating that.
 
Haven't eaten octopus, but I've often eaten squid. It's delicious.
 
I have eaten and enjoyed octopus many many times in Peru. Just a few rules, never over cook or it gets tough and chewy. I never eat seafood away from the costal areas in Peru unless it is the one or two days a week that fresh seafood is brought up from the coast. The seafood is packed in ice and travels in trucks. Reliable refrigeration does not exist in rural Peru or for transport.

Gotten food poisoning in USA, just less frequently.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
So... When we traveled to North Carolina last spring (Seat Time report titled Tales From The Dragon), we met The Ferret for breakfast and then he lead us on some great roads in Kentucky. Prior to meeting, I had asked him for advice on lodging, food, and route and he was very helpful on 2 of the 3. I recall asking him on at least three occasions via email if he had a little local diner that he liked where we could meet him. He was vague to say the least. He said "there's a Bob Evans right next to the hotel. We could meet there". At the time, I assumed he was just being accommodating to us. However, on my return trip a month or so later (see: Kelly's Run) we wound up at the same Bob Evans and that is when I realized that The Ferret may prefer the back roads with the occasional unexpected turn on his motorcycles, but when it comes to food, he wants Interstate-style--straight, safe, and consistent. I'm pretty sure it would be a culinary jump off a cliff to get him even to try green tea. LOL :D

Oh...but truth be told...Bob Evans does do a good job on eggs over-medium with bacon at a very reasonable price and I hope to dine there again...perhaps with my friend from SW Ohio :)
 
Thread starter
Lol busted. Yes safe and consistent are my culinary friends. I really don't do mom and pop places to eat, because you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes its very good, most times it's mediocre, sometimes down right awful. i am aware most people would rather avoid chain restaurants ( and hotels for that matter) but I feel secure in that the big breakfast or chicken sandwich or cheeseburger I get from MacDonalds, or Wendys or Burger King in North Carolina, or the UP of Michigan or Texas, or California or Montana will taste EXACTLY the same. I'd rather have something I KNOW I can eat and enjoy, than take a chance of something I might find unpalatable. Palatability of course is determined by the eater. My brother never eats at Fast Food Restaurants unless he is riding with me. I never eat at mom and pops unless I am with him.The guy I rode to California with eats the same way I do. Worked out great. Consistent, cheap and fast....Just like me. ;)

And I'm having a cup of tea right now. :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol busted. Yes safe and consistent are my culinary friends. I really don't do mom and pop places to eat, because you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes its very good, most times it's mediocre, sometimes down right awful. i am aware most people would rather avoid chain restaurants ( and hotels for that matter) but I feel secure in that the big breakfast or chicken sandwich or cheeseburger I get from MacDonalds, or Wendys or Burger King in North Carolina, or the UP of Michigan or Texas, or California or Montana will taste EXACTLY the same. I'd rather have something I KNOW I can eat and enjoy, than take a chance of something I might find unpalatable. Palatability of course is determined by the eater. My brother never eats at Fast Food Restaurants unless he is riding with me. I never eat at mom and pops unless I am with him.The guy I rode to California with eats the same way I do. Worked out great. Consistent, cheap and fast....Just like me. ;)

And I'm having a cup of tea right now. :D
Green?
 
Thread starter
Lol...NO! Lipton tenderleaf. The only tea I drink.
 
I'll have to google and search, as have not bought these for field work in some time. I am sure the technology has advanced over the last 8 years. Look for personal emergency locator beacon, or emergency locator beacon

Lots of info and reviews if you google personal locator beacon


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Henrik_imp said:
Rocky, I guess you must have had guinea pig while in Peru then.

I do a fair amount of back country skiing in winter, and obviously one of the basic security items is a beacon should you get caught in an avalanche. I would guess that there must exist some sort of similar beacon you can bring with you on an adventure bike ride in case you are out of range for mobile phones, and you have a serious accident.
No, I passed on that too :D
I was a bit stunned to learn that this cute and cuddly creature that we view as pets was a food source.
One evening at supper Carl ordered it, but I couldn't get the image of a furry pet out of my mind.
I couldn't get the image of that ugly octopus out of my mind either.
When the meal arrived it looked like any beef dish in gravy and looked very tasty.
Carl said it was delicious and it didn't bother him at all to eat it.
 
It is good! So is rabbit, another cute fluffy animal.

One time in China, after finishing a job, I was invited out to dinner by the local colleagues. The food came, and looked delicious, but they were all laughing at me. No matter, I decided to dig in. They kept laughing, and told me it was dog. I just told them that if it was dog, then dog was really good. They all looked really disappointed, and finally admitted that it wasn't dog. They were just trying to play a joke on me.

I never did find out what it actually was though...
 
Legend has it there are two sayings the Chinese apply to food. "If it has wings and you're not eating it, it must be an aeroplane." and "If it has legs and you're not eating it, it must be a table or a chair."
 
Thread starter
More reading today. We worry about the tourability of our 80+ horsepower CB's. In todays chapter Salvadori is touring Alaska 2 up on a naked, spoke wheeled with tubes 40 HP r60/5 Bmw, loaded with camping gear Lol. Adventuresome I tell ya.
 
I love the idea of riding into parts unknown and experiencing whatever life throws my way. I've never come close to doing anything like that however. And, like some of you, I lack the mechanical skills I'd like to have if going off on such an adventure. I think I'll start with "adventures" closer to home and the comforts of civilization. I love those Long Way Round and Long Way Down series (I didn't know they were books). I own them both. Of course, they had a lot more resources and support than most (any?) of us would likely have.

All the talk about eating guinea pigs vs. road side diners reminded me of this photo I saw the other day:



I thought that was pretty funny.

I think I just might pick up that book ferret. Sounds like a good read. I just started re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I first read it about 20 years ago (long before I started riding) and I'm curious to see what I take away from it this time around. It was in a box in the garage and came to light when I was fishing out the Christmas ornaments.
 
Back
Top