Who here is an Adventure motorcyclist

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
And by that, I don't mean who rides an ADV style bike, I mean someone who is willing to take off on a motorcycle putting themselves in strange and maybe compromising situations?

I am reading a book I got for Christmas, "No Thru Road" by Clement Salvadori. Amazing stuff. (I also have read "10 Years on a Motorcycle" by Helge Pederson.) I'll admit, I have been a long time Rider Magazine subscriber, over 30 years, for which Salvadori is a staff travel writer. Salvadori has never been my favorite writer, I much prefer Peter Egan ( Cycle World) with whom I can relate, who has tried to cross the U.S. on a Norton .. If you consider that an adventure lol... I would. (I have all 3 of his books)

However the IDEA of Adventure touring intrigues me very much. Imagine riding on 6 continents, thru areas where roads are sometimes optional, where gas can be iffy. Where medical help could be hundreds of miles away. Where you are not familiar with the language, where food could be decidedly unappetizing, far from friends, family, even communication at times. Where border crossings can sometimes come with detention and interrogation, where you must rely on your own mechanical skills to keep you rolling.

My biggest motorcycle adventure was going to Europe, with Edelweiss motorcycle tour company, with prearranged hotels and meals, guides and a chase vehicle, where everyone at least would attempt to communicate in English....and I put that off for 5 years after I had saved the money because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find food I would like...and I still suffered a lot of stress on the trip ( just ask my wife) Thank goodness she was with me, as she is pretty much unflappable in the face of adversity.

I've travelled all over the United States and some parts of Canada by motorcycle, but I am never far from people that speak my language, food I will eat, or gas stations, or motels, or hospitals or AAA if I need them, or rental cars, or an airport as a last resort. Even then sometimes on the road I feel the stress of not being " at home".

I could never be an Adventure motorcyclist. Too much uncertainty for me. I do however have the utmost admiration and respect for those that could or do. The more I read Salvadori's book the more respect I have for him as a motorcyclist.

So what do you think? Have you done it? Do you think you could do it? Would you like to do it?

 
It's a great challenge. They don't always make it back. It would be enjoyable and nerve wracking too sometimes. See Youtube; Paris to Dakar on a VFR1200! That was an adventure! A woman or two is doing it solo and taking years. They get jobs and adapt. They are writers. People are extremely helpful to these adventurers as well. It's unnatural in a sense. Most animals have a sense of home.
 
I can't say I am an adventure motorcyclist, although I would like to be! Up until now, I simply have not had the time to really get out there and travel the world on a bike, but I have often thought about doing it. Perhaps someday when I have enough money to stop working I will go on a proper ride.

However, throughout my life I have travelled extensively and the thing I particularly enjoy is the discovery of everything unknown. I love finding and trying local food, and to date there is nothing I have not eaten. There have been some pretty strange things sometimes in my travels through Asia or Africa, but I always figure that if the locals can eat it and live, then so can I. As far as language is concerned, that is not a huge problem either as together with my wife we cover fluently English, French, Spanish, German, Swedish, Italian, and can get by in Japanese and some Arabic. You also get a knack for communicating in English with locals that don't necessarily speak it like in China or other Chinese speaking countries.

I got used to moving around in some foreign places very early on, and have grown up a bit all over the world. I am Swedish, but the place in the world that I feel the most like a stranger is actually Sweden. So, the whole world adventure part of a trip like this is totally within my comfort zone.

My biggest problem is my obvious lack of mechanical skills. I have friends that have done some pretty adventurous rides, and there will always come a moment when something brakes down in a remote place, and I really don't think I would be able to fix it. More than anything else, this would be my main concern before setting off on such a trip, so the best would be to do it together with somebody who is a bit more mechanically inclined than myself.
 
I've always been a pavement rider and have never had the urge to ride off-road or into the wilderness.
But like ferret, I enjoy reading about ADV riders and their adventures.
 
I'm not yet. But I could dream of a half year trip around the world or longer...

Meanwhile I watch videos like this:
 
The concept is very attractive, but the spirit is less willing. What I'm willing to eat is getting larger I'm afraid it ain't near enough to handle the real world adventures out there. Some parts of the world I'm simply not willing to face the risks (e.g. the first 80 miles of Mexico) from humans, but weather and animals seem much less risky.

Language; drawing, arm flinging and when totally flummoxed, raising one's voice a lot seems to work. :D I had a young fellow from the Czech Republic help me lay our porcelain kitchen tile. My Czech was nonexistent, his English was not much better and we got along famously. Communications can be the least of your worries. :)
 
Rode my bike down Lincoln Highway through Chicago Heights and Ford Heights....THAT was fairly adventurous. ;)

Seriously, though, I too am in the "like the idea" camp. My son and I have a preliminary plan to do a circle tour of all the Great Lakes in one trip and we would camp along the way. I think that's the closest I'll get to what we are calling "Adventure Riding".
 
I really like it when you share your ruminations, Ferret. Thanks.

I've discovered I like touring on motorcycles and I'm happy to do it in any country I can, although I lack Henrik's facility with languages. That said, I don't think I'm an adventure motorcyclist to the extent I'm not sure about riding where there are no roads and no mechanical support. Like Henrik, I lack real mechanical capability.
Thanks for the video, Django. I went to Luang Prabang once and came across this rather more dignified form of motorcycle riding. Pity about the bush.

 
Thread starter
Henrik..most impressive. Have you ever started eating something and had to spit it out?

I am so envious of people who can make good no matter the circumstances, particularly when motorcycle traveling. One of my best friends, though not a motorcyclist( but a great hunting buddy) , but the first person I rode my motorcycle to visit 3 weeks after retiring, is one of those unflappable people. We are like the odd couple. His wife says we get along so well because he ever the optimist, is always sure that nothing will go wrong, even if it sometimes does, while I am ever the pessimist, sure that something is going to go wrong, even if it rarely does. We have gotten each other into some situations that looked very foreboding at the time, as I would have predicted, but we always managed to come out ok, as he would have expected.

He would make a great adventure motorcyclist, if I could only convince him to try riding a motorcycle. Me on the other hand, not so much.

Reading some more Egan and Salvadori today. It's a good day for it.
 
Gentlemen,

That is some pretty hard core riding. I've done some adventitious stuff but not that. The closest I've come to such an experience was back at age 14. I had a 4 speed Honda Trail 70 with a clutch. Top speed just under 50 mph. A sturdy luggage rack on the back to haul my gear. I was too young to have a drivers license so I wore a helmet with a face shield so police couldn't see how young I was. With 20 dollars in gas money, a sleeping bag, and all the food I could pirate out of my Mom's pantry I would take off for 3 or 4 days at a time. Paved roads, dirt roads, and desert trails all over Arizona. I can't believe my parents let me do it as there were no cell phones and they had no idea where the heck I was. I slept under mesquite trees at night and hung out under gas station canopies when it rained. McDonalds hamburgers were 15 cents back then and one and a half gallons of gas to fill that little bike up cost 30 cents. $20 had a lot of purchasing power back then. That little Honda was as reliable as a stone hammer and it never stranded me.

To a 14 year old boy in 1969 riding through towns and areas I'd never seen before, that was high adventure. Great days.

Chip
 
Don't think I have ever spit anything out. There have been things I haven't liked for sure, but I really enjoy trying things out. One thing I really don't like is durian. They are crazy about durian in South East Asia, and I have tried it in pretty much every form that it is served in, but no. Also, out of all the regional cuisines that I have tried, the one I really did not like was Philippino food. It is in my opinion really not good, and something very strange for that area due t the Spanish influence. Oh, and all the fried food in the US as well. I love sea food, and once in New Orleans I went to a sea food place that had been recommended. Ordered the sea food platter which sounded nice, and they brought in a huge plate with crabs, shrimps etc., and it was all deep fried! And it came with a side of fries!! Not for me....
 
Thread starter
Lol yea, we pretty much deep fry everything. I love talking to people about food. I am real picky, but wish I weren't. Something goes in my mouth that doesn't taste good to me, it's coming out, it ain't going down. I eat like an 8 year old. I ate Weinersnitzel and pom fritas 12 days straight when I went to Europe. The other day I ate chicken. ( those are on meals we had to buy..not provided by the tour company) How's that for adventure? Lol. I did like European breakfasts, but missed bacon, eggs over easy and toast.

( for those that don't know Weinersnitzel is a breaded and deep fried pork patty, and pom fritas are french fries) ...so everything american style deep fried lol
 
Luckily there is a lot of good food in the States that is not deep fried!! Lots of great bbq, with most states having their own special style. I like gumbos and clam chowders, lobster in New England (but no melted butter please!), crab in San Francisco or Miami. Oh, and some fabulous deserts like stunning pies etc.
 
Henrik_imp said:
Luckily there is a lot of good food in the States that is not deep fried!! Lots of great bbq, with most states having their own special style. I like gumbos and clam chowders, lobster in New England (but no melted butter please!), crab in San Francisco or Miami. Oh, and some fabulous deserts like stunning pies etc.
I was just discussing a nearby restaurant with some coworkers. They serve a barbecue smoked beef rib that is then deep fried and served with gravy. It is incredible!
 
I've been known to get around a little bit on a motorcycle.
Then I click on ADV Ride Reports and get humbled very quick like.

If only I had more money and time off work,,,,
 


Does this count? Riding on a Forest Service road in N. Georgia on my KLR? I guess not.... I do like bouncing around the dirt roads and 'easy' trails up near my home but frankly have been fearful of venturing too far into the woods alone. There's no cell service and if I'm riding alone (which I usually am), I always think about what would happen if I wiped out and did damage to the bike or worse....to me. There I'd be... sprawled out with a damaged bike and/or a damaged 'me'...alone in the woods, no way to call for help, alone with the 'critters'. Not a pleasant thought. I bought the bike with a thought of riding (someday) The TransAmerican Trail with a friend.... or at least part of it. Who knows if it will ever happen. Two more great books to read about Adventure Riding is 'The Long Way Round' and 'The Long Way Down'. One was made into a movie too... Two great story's.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top