Who has replaced their chain?

sanoke_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm pushing 26,000 miles and I'm starting to see that orange powder around a few of the links that indicates the plating has worn off the link pins. I could probably get a few more thousand out of it but I'd end up adjusting it frequently so I'm going to go ahead and replace it. Anyone else done that yet and if so how many miles did you get on the original chain?
 
sanoke_imp said:
I'm pushing 26,000 miles and I'm starting to see that orange powder around a few of the links that indicates the plating has worn off the link pins. I could probably get a few more thousand out of it but I'd end up adjusting it frequently so I'm going to go ahead and replace it. Anyone else done that yet and if so how many miles did you get on the original chain?
I think few of us will already be at the point to need a new chain. 26,000 is almost double what I have...
 
I haven't been riding much so my mileage hasn't climbed much since my accident.
 
man i need to get on the ball....i used to put a good 20k year on my bikes...nowadays im lucky to put 5k. i will tell ya one mod I put on my VFR that is worth its weight in gold, the scottoiler Scottoiler USA - Ride faster, ride further, recover quicker

I bought one for the CB but I've yet to install it....

it pays for itself since it'll double your chain life. My VFR chain has 26k miles on it and looks like i just installed it. I have no doubt in my mind i'll get 50k miles out of it. now would be the perfect time to install it since you're putting on a new chain.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
I've put 29000m (47000kms) on the bike and the chain is still within limits and the sprockets good. I'm watching closely though.

Cheers
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
 
Plated link pins is news to me. By orange powder you mean rust (or without water you can get iron oxide dust from un-lubed rubbing surfaces)? What chain lube are you using?
sanoke_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
I've put 29000m (47000kms) on the bike and the chain is still within limits and the sprockets good. I'm watching closely though.

Cheers
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Sanoke, your question makes it sound like you don't lube the chain. Any chain requires cleaning and lube maintenance to clean off grit and lube the rollers, which do not have orings, and sprockets and prevent rust.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I haven't been riding much so my mileage hasn't climbed much since my accident.
Well with this crap weather, you're not missing out on much at the moment at least!

I am stagnant at the 10 or 11k mark right now but I expect to ramp it up again soon, one way or another. Got a long way to go before I have to think about a new chain and sprockets!
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Plated link pins is news to me. By orange powder you mean rust (or without water you can get iron oxide dust from un-lubed rubbing surfaces)? What chain lube are you using?
sanoke_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
I've put 29000m (47000kms) on the bike and the chain is still within limits and the sprockets good. I'm watching closely though.

Cheers
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Sanoke, your question makes it sound like you don't lube the chain. Any chain requires cleaning and lube maintenance to clean off grit and lube the rollers, which do not have orings, and sprockets and prevent rust.
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Sanoke, your question makes it sound like you don't lube the chain. Any chain requires cleaning and lube maintenance to clean off grit and lube the rollers, which do not have orings, and sprockets and prevent rust. I've been using DID o-ring chains on all my bikes for a total of over 200,000 miles. What I've learned is that when an orange powder starts to show around the o-rings it means the plating has worn off the pin and it is down to the base metal which is orange in color. Don't know if that is by design or not but it is a real good indicator that the chain won't last too much longer. I know this because I've pressed out links that had the orange powder showing and seen exactly what I'm describing. I do use lube on my chain and the orange powder is not rust. Hope that helps.
 
sanoke_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
I've put 29000m (47000kms) on the bike and the chain is still within limits and the sprockets good. I'm watching closely though.

Cheers
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
I use MOTUL chain cleaner and road bike chain lube. If I have been riding dirt, or for any other reason the chain is extra grotty, I will use blue kerosine and a stiff brush to clean the chain and then lube with MOTUL. I lube about every 1000kms, or as required. While touring I have often not cleaned the chain for intervals of 3000kms, just given it a squirt of lube. No orange powder.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
sanoke_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
I've put 29000m (47000kms) on the bike and the chain is still within limits and the sprockets good. I'm watching closely though.

Cheers
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
I use MOTUL chain cleaner and road bike chain lube. If I have been riding dirt, or for any other reason the chain is extra grotty, I will use blue kerosine and a stiff brush to clean the chain and then lube with MOTUL. I lube about every 1000kms, or as required. While touring I have often not cleaned the chain for intervals of 3000kms, just given it a squirt of lube. No orange powder.

Cheers
Any sign of orange powder around any of the o-rings? Do you use any sort of lube or treatment on your chain? Thanks!
I use MOTUL chain cleaner and road bike chain lube. If I have been riding dirt, or for any other reason the chain is extra grotty, I will use blue kerosine and a stiff brush to clean the chain and then lube with MOTUL. I lube about every 1000kms, or as required. While touring I have often not cleaned the chain for intervals of 3000kms, just given it a squirt of lube. No orange powder.

Cheers Sounds like a winning combination. Thanks!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Do most people buy Honda OEM sprockets and an aftermarket chain, any special one?
My CB11 doesn't need 'em yet, but when it does I'll go with a D.I.D sealed chain and JT steel sprockets. I've been using that combo on my other bikes for years (decades?) and I've never been disappointed.
 
LUB THAT CHAIN!
I religiously lub my chain every 500 miles.
I clean my chain completely with kerosene every other oil change.
I buy only the best DID available when I replace a chain.
I've gotten 80,000 miles + out of a DID chain, they are a good investment.
The trick to chain life is to keep those o-rings alive, regular lub will help them live a long and happy life.
TINK
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I've never had an aftermarket chain last as well as an oem. Probably just me though.
6,700 miles on Eric's CB, yet to need adjustment.

I adjusted mine for the first time at 8400 miles ( barely needed adjustment) and then replaced the rear tire 500 miles later. Probably could have waited for the tire change and not messed with it earlier but felt guilty that I wasn't " working" on the bike.
 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
LUB THAT CHAIN!
I religiously lub my chain every 500 miles.
I clean my chain completely with kerosene every other oil change.
I buy only the best DID available when I replace a chain.
I've gotten 80,000 miles + out of a DID chain, they are a good investment.
The trick to chain life is to keep those o-rings alive, regular lub will help them live a long and happy life.
TINK
That's impressive! What lube do you use?
 
Back
Top