White House K10 - a story of regeneration

Ninemeister_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Where to start?


Whilst I've been a car nut from the time I began to walk, up to 10 years ago I only really had a passing interest in motorcycles whilst helping out friends with their classics. This all changed after I bought a Vespa LX50 scooter for my daughter on her 16th birthday, us jointly restoring it so she could use it for her commute to college.

That tripped the switch, so before long I had restored a Vespa 125GT for myself, passed my bike test and bought my first bike, a Honda GL1100. In hindsight that was a big mistake as the 17,000 mile '82 failed its MOT test shortly after with a rotten frame - and hence became my first (and continuing) restoration project.

With an impending summer road trip to Spain, as a stop-gap I acquired a 6,000 mile Honda VTX1300S. With added Corbin Beetle boxes, a Mustang seat, and custom made a rack, that bike ran faultlessly for 3,000 miles and was the perfect choice for me with only 6 months riding experience.

Roll on 9 years and I'm sharing my dry day commutes between a Vespa 300 and a Bonneville Black 900SE and I make the decision to sell on the VTX. A quick clean, little set up for iPhone photos in the driveway and just 3 weeks later the VTX is off down the road on its way to its new owner.

And so it became how I had a lump of cash sat in my motorcycle fund on the day I first learned about the White House K10...
So, there I was one night at the end of August, family watching TV whilst I played around on Pinterest studying BMW Cafe Racers looking at design ideas for a BMW R80 Cafe Racer project which I now finally had the funds to complete. Then, for no real reason, this photo popped up on my search:
 
Thread starter
Takes me back. That was Jess's first ever ride out on her new Vespa.
I blame it on Pinterest. A few more searches, a few more photos and I was now well and truly hooked on what I believed to be the best looking retro bike I had ever seen.

One of my mates, Dave, had always been into old Hondas, over the years owning a fleet of CBX and CB750's, building many specials on the way. Thanks to him I was not only well versed with how great they look, but also with the effort required to restore and maintain a Classic Honda in perfect running condition.

I had also seen the stock CB1100 and considered it a pretty cool retro option before buying the Bonnieville based purely on looks.

The K10 on the other hand had rocked the balance right over in favour of the straight 4 Honda. I had to know more...
 
Thread starter
The success of a good project? Research and planning.

Whilst it didn't take long to land on Takashi's excellent Samurider website and find the complete Deluxe K10 kit (WHITEHOUSE: 2014-2016 CB1100/EX/Deluxe K10 FULL KIT | Samurider.com), it did take a while to get my head around the cost, 619,000yen, or £4,568, plus shipping, plus VAT.
Of course, then there is the exhaust. Nothing but the Wyvern Classic 4 into 4 would do. Oh. That's another 245,000yen, or £1,808 plus shipping, plus VAT.
Total with VAT = £7,651 plus shipping.

Ouch. That's a lot more than I got for the VTX. Failed at stage 1 - I needed a new plan.
 
Thread starter
So, keep in mind that at this time I had sold the VTX for a decent sum, had mentally committed myself to finishing the GL1100 restoration and to using some of the money to buy all the remaining parts to complete my BMW R80 Cafe Racer project. Now that I knew the total cost of buying a stock CB1100 and importing the White House kit, I came to the resignation that the fresh idea to build the K10/17 would have to come at the price of selling the 865 Bonneville to fund the difference.

Or would it? There is always Plan B, Maurice.

The light bulb moment came on Saturday night of the Summer Bank Holiday Weekend.
Would it be possible to buy a ready-built K10? Surely there wouldn't be one for sale? Only one way to find out: eBay!
 
It is better to mentally commit yourself than be mentally committed by some else to a nut house. What about crowd funding , is that available in the UK ?
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
It is better to mentally commit yourself than be mentally committed by some else to a nut house. What about crowd funding , is that available in the UK ?
I think it's highly likely we should all be mentally committed to be here in the first place, especially those who the part number of an RLET off by heart.
:rofl:

As for crowd funding, I did think of having a whip-round but with current Covid restrictions if the wife and daughter question the "need" for another bike I'm on a hiding to nothing from the get-go.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
It is better to mentally commit yourself than be mentally committed by some else to a nut house. What about crowd funding , is that available in the UK ?
I think it's highly likely we should all be mentally committed to be here in the first place, especially those who the part number of an RLET off by heart.
:rofl:

As for crowd funding, I did think of having a whip-round but with current Covid restrictions if the wife and daughter question the "need" for another bike I'm on a hiding to nothing from the get-go.
I second that....
58d477b5b429a560921a4e55d17bef83.gif
 
Thread starter
On the 30th August I logged into eBay and searched for "Honda CB1100 K10", in full expectation to get a nil result and a list of search results for "Honda CB1100" instead. All I can say is that the eBay gods were clearly on my side when this advert came up:
K10 kit? Tick.
Wire wheels? Tick.
4-4 exhaust? Tick.
ABS? Tick.
6 Speed? Tick.

It took me less than a minute to pinch myself, look over my shoulder to check nobody was winding me up, then shoot off a private message to see if it was still available. The advert finished that night, but not before I had saved the photos to my laptop.

At that price I figured three things:
1. That it's a Honda, so at 35,000 miles it's barely run in
2. For an owner to ride it for 35,000 miles, it must be a comfortable bike (I'd never tried one)
3. At that price it is worth it for the K10 kit alone, so even if the bike was a nail I could swap the parts with another bike and still be in pocket

Thankfully Bassel replied on the following morning (Sunday) and set the wheels in motion for me to buy the bike unseen.
These were the photos from the advert:
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
On the 30th August I logged into eBay and searched for "Honda CB1100 K10", in full expectation to get a nil result and a list of search results for "Honda CB1100" instead. All I can say is that the eBay gods were clearly on my side when this advert came up:
K10 kit? Tick.
Wire wheels? Tick.
4-4 exhaust? Tick.
ABS? Tick.
6 Speed? Tick.

It took me less than a minute to pinch myself, look over my shoulder to check nobody was winding me up, then shoot off a private message to see if it was still available. The advert finished that night, but not before I had saved the photos to my laptop.

At that price I figured three things:
1. That it's a Honda, so at 35,000 miles it's barely run in
2. For an owner to ride it for 35,000 miles, it must be a comfortable bike (I'd never tried one)
3. At that price it is worth it for the K10 kit alone, so even if the bike was a nail I could swap the parts with another bike and still be in pocket

Thankfully Bassel replied on the following morning (Sunday) and set the wheels in motion for me to buy the bike unseen.
These were the photos from the advert:
Holy s**t Nm, great find, this is Great White K10 edition, supper look =:thumbsup:

...I must visit the UK with my CB, so the two whites can ride parallel...don't laugh, my European moto trip is scheduled in my calendar and was cancelled once..

:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
On the 30th August I logged into eBay and searched for "Honda CB1100 K10", in full expectation to get a nil result and a list of search results for "Honda CB1100" instead. All I can say is that the eBay gods were clearly on my side when this advert came up:
K10 kit? Tick.
Wire wheels? Tick.
4-4 exhaust? Tick.
ABS? Tick.
6 Speed? Tick.

It took me less than a minute to pinch myself, look over my shoulder to check nobody was winding me up, then shoot off a private message to see if it was still available. The advert finished that night, but not before I had saved the photos to my laptop.

At that price I figured three things:
1. That it's a Honda, so at 35,000 miles it's barely run in
2. For an owner to ride it for 35,000 miles, it must be a comfortable bike (I'd never tried one)
3. At that price it is worth it for the K10 kit alone, so even if the bike was a nail I could swap the parts with another bike and still be in pocket

Thankfully Bassel replied on the following morning (Sunday) and set the wheels in motion for me to buy the bike unseen.
These were the photos from the advert:
Holy s**t Nm, great find, this is Great White K10 edition, supper look =:thumbsup:

...I must visit the UK with my CB, so the two whites can ride parallel...don't laugh, my European moto trip is scheduled in my calendar and was cancelled once..

:beerchug:
Holy s**t Nm, great find, this is Great White K10 edition, supper look =:thumbsup:

...I must visit the UK with my CB, so the two whites can ride parallel...don't laugh, my European moto trip is scheduled in my calendar and was cancelled once..

:beerchug:
I know. When the advert dropped off eBay I actually messaged Bassel to check that it had not been pulled because the bike had been undervalued. Seriously! Probably not the best way to start a purchase negotiation but I was in shock knowing how much this would have cost to build.
To their credit, Motor Giant stood by the price (I paid full asking) then as a courtesy gave the bike an oil change, a fresh MOT and delivered it for me a couple of weeks later. I have nothing but praise for how they dealt with the sale and would certainly buy from them again.

As for getting the great white sharks together - you may want to hang on a little as things are about to get more interesting...
 
Thread starter
This is the bike when it landed 20 days ago, delivered to my work on an early Friday evening. Luckily I took the Bonnie to work that morning, so it would have been rude to not to leave the Bonnie at work and ride the CB home, wouldn't it?

An hour later, in the dark, I set off for the 7.5 mile ride, never before seen a CB1100 up close, never mind ridden one. Less than a mile in I was hooked. It rode like silk on a fashion model, I couldn't believe how smooth and easy to ride it was compared to the raw little Bonnie. I arrived home with an ear to ear grin.
 
...and this is why we all love our CB1100 and how she is, a marvel!!
Great White-K10 :biker:

PS. Colin, think yours is leaking coolant :P
 
Thread starter
Once the CB arrived and I'd ridden it home, finally I could allow myself the luxury of working out the plan to regenerate it into the K10 I had imagined just a few weeks before.

Starting point: what do I like, what to fix and what to change?

Likes:
Wyvern Exhaust. What a bonus. Remove, re-polish and fix the leaks around the cylinder head joints.
Excel Wheels. Wire wheels were always a must have, but the gold lightweight Excels with stainless spokes were another massive bonus, especially given that I had been considering the same for another project. The question is how to use the colour to maximum advantage...
K10 tank & side panels. What's not to like?

Fixes:
Dent in fuel tank (arrow 1, photo). No big deal, but would require a re-paint
Chain & sprocket. Better to be safe than sorry, given the mileage, however on inspection the rear alloy sprocket was shot.
km/h Speedo. Dial change or repaint at minimum to mph only or mph/km/h

Changes
K10 Headlight Ears (2)
Paint Headlight Bowl (3)
Chrome Speedo/Tacho covers (4)
Cut off indicator brackets (5)
K10 rear light

Time to place an order with Takashi.

Then there was the colour...
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Once the CB arrived and I'd ridden it home, finally I could allow myself the luxury of working out the plan to regenerate it into the K10 I had imagined just a few weeks before.

Starting point: what do I like, what to fix and what to change?

Likes:
Wyvern Exhaust. What a bonus. Remove, re-polish and fix the leaks around the cylinder head joints.
Excel Wheels. Wire wheels were always a must have, but the gold lightweight Excels with stainless spokes were another massive bonus, especially given that I had been considering the same for another project. The question is how to use the colour to maximum advantage...
K10 tank & side panels. What's not to like?

Fixes:
Dent in fuel tank (arrow 1, photo). No big deal, but would require a re-paint
Chain & sprocket. Better to be safe than sorry, given the mileage, however on inspection the rear alloy sprocket was shot.
km/h Speedo. Dial change or repaint at minimum to mph only or mph/km/h

Changes
K10 Headlight Ears (2)
Paint Headlight Bowl (3)
Chrome Speedo/Tacho covers (4)
Cut off indicator brackets (5)
K10 rear light

Time to place an order with Takashi.

Then there was the colour...
As to your dented tank...
There is a procedure called paint-less dent removal...they will fix your dent without painting...my car had over 170 dents after a heavy hail...they fixed everything without a drop of paint. Condition: no paint cracks
 
Back
Top