While I am Waiting.....

Ferret... or anyone. In the how to section, is there a thread on 'how to change the grips'? I've thought that I might like to change mine, but am not sure how to do it.
And I'm too lazy to look... :rolleyes:
 
Lazy4now, uh I mean ride4now :) Didn't see one specifically for that, but this might help : Installing OEM Heated Grips

Its by Ferret for installing Honda heated grips.
 
Actually that's from Mark Von kArlsbad I just transferred the info from another post

Removing stock grips is really easy if you have an air compressor and not difficult if you don't.

First remove bar end weights..this is for all methods

Now if you dont care to save the stock grips simply slit them with a razor blade, peel them off and discard.

Next method

Use an air compressor and stick the nub of the air compressor under the end of the grips and shoot some air in there. It should pop right off. Try and keep compressed air in the grip so hold the grip around end of air nozzle as best you can

Third method..

Take a thin flat blade screw driver and slide it under the grip, squirt some wd40 or brake cleaning fluid in there, wiggle screw driver around to brake factory glue seal and pull and wiggle old grip off.

After grips are done, clean glue residue from bars, squirt some brake cleaner in new grip and slide it on real quick
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Inhouse,

If you buy the Honda kit, you only have to glue the left side, and it isn't really that bad. The right side grip comes installed on a new throttle tube. Just take remove the tube, slide on the new one and reconnect the cables and bar ends.
Thanks, Popgun. That is better. Not perfect, but much better!
 
Im also wondering why the pattern direction is opposite from one another. I dont mind the stock grips at all. The only stock grip I couldnt stand is on my Harley but they do that on purpose to make you spend more money changing them out.
 
Thread starter
uscgmac_imp said:
Im also wondering why the pattern direction is opposite from one another. I dont mind the stock grips at all. The only stock grip I couldnt stand is on my Harley but they do that on purpose to make you spend more money changing them out.
uscgmac,

I really don't know why the pattern is opposite on these grips. I have three pair of these grips on three different bikes and these on the CB1100 are the only ones that don't match. Maybe the factory had a run of an opposite batch or something....I just don't know. Like I said above, it really doesn't bother me and you have to be looking for it to even notice.

As far as the Harley grips, the stock ones that came on the Lowrider I had were terrible, too big around, too hard and ugly. And, the thing is with the Harley grips, they ain't cheap. I got rid of the Harley some years ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment buy. Too heavy, too slow, didn't handle and didn't stop. Other than that was a reliable bike.

Have a good one!!
 
Verdecken_imp said:
Hey Mac, you a Coastie by any chance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, 4 yrs active and 19 yrs in the reserves. And still going!
4myredhonda_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
Im also wondering why the pattern direction is opposite from one another. I dont mind the stock grips at all. The only stock grip I couldnt stand is on my Harley but they do that on purpose to make you spend more money changing them out.
uscgmac,

I really don't know why the pattern is opposite on these grips. I have three pair of these grips on three different bikes and these on the CB1100 are the only ones that don't match. Maybe the factory had a run of an opposite batch or something....I just don't know. Like I said above, it really doesn't bother me and you have to be looking for it to even notice.

As far as the Harley grips, the stock ones that came on the Lowrider I had were terrible, too big around, too hard and ugly. And, the thing is with the Harley grips, they ain't cheap. I got rid of the Harley some years ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment buy. Too heavy, too slow, didn't handle and didn't stop. Other than that was a reliable bike.

Have a good one!!
uscgmac,

I really don't know why the pattern is opposite on these grips. I have three pair of these grips on three different bikes and these on the CB1100 are the only ones that don't match. Maybe the factory had a run of an opposite batch or something....I just don't know. Like I said above, it really doesn't bother me and you have to be looking for it to even notice.

As far as the Harley grips, the stock ones that came on the Lowrider I had were terrible, too big around, too hard and ugly. And, the thing is with the Harley grips, they ain't cheap. I got rid of the Harley some years ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment buy. Too heavy, too slow, didn't handle and didn't stop. Other than that was a reliable bike.

Have a good one!!

Lol, yes the Harley grips are expensive but well made. They range from 65.00 to 85.00 and up. I have a 2014 Ultra classic. They have come a long way. Actually quite nimble for a full touring bike.
4myredhonda_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
Im also wondering why the pattern direction is opposite from one another. I dont mind the stock grips at all. The only stock grip I couldnt stand is on my Harley but they do that on purpose to make you spend more money changing them out.
uscgmac,

I really don't know why the pattern is opposite on these grips. I have three pair of these grips on three different bikes and these on the CB1100 are the only ones that don't match. Maybe the factory had a run of an opposite batch or something....I just don't know. Like I said above, it really doesn't bother me and you have to be looking for it to even notice.

As far as the Harley grips, the stock ones that came on the Lowrider I had were terrible, too big around, too hard and ugly. And, the thing is with the Harley grips, they ain't cheap. I got rid of the Harley some years ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment buy. Too heavy, too slow, didn't handle and didn't stop. Other than that was a reliable bike.

Have a good one!!
uscgmac,

I really don't know why the pattern is opposite on these grips. I have three pair of these grips on three different bikes and these on the CB1100 are the only ones that don't match. Maybe the factory had a run of an opposite batch or something....I just don't know. Like I said above, it really doesn't bother me and you have to be looking for it to even notice.

As far as the Harley grips, the stock ones that came on the Lowrider I had were terrible, too big around, too hard and ugly. And, the thing is with the Harley grips, they ain't cheap. I got rid of the Harley some years ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment buy. Too heavy, too slow, didn't handle and didn't stop. Other than that was a reliable bike.

Have a good one!!

Lol, yes the Harley grips are expensive but well made. They range from 65.00 to 85.00 and up. I have a 2014 Ultra classic. They have come a long way. Actually quite nimble for a full touring bike.
Verdecken_imp said:
Hey Mac, you a Coastie by any chance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, 4 yrs active and 19 yrs in the reserves. And still going!
 
Hey that's great!! My grandad did 30+ years active (mcpo) and my dad did 27 active (Captain) and is a civilian at headquarters now. Always fun to find fellow Coasties.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My MOM was a CPO in WWII and my Dad was 'only' a 1st class :rofl:
 
4myredhonda_imp said:
Okay...Already...So far out of 155 views, one person gives my grips a thumbs up and another guy thinks they are different. I get it...alright. No hard feelings. To each their own.

Well, while I have been waiting (some more) for the ChicDesign seat and fairing, I decided to raid the internet and ordered a few more goodies. The Pirate's Lair had one Staintune slip-on for the CB1100 left in stock, ordered it on the 24th and it arrived today (27th). That's amazingly fast shipping, especially during the holiday season. The pipe looks super! I also decided to order a set of the R&G Racing Aero Frame Sliders. I just don't like the idea of crash bars on this bike. To me, frame sliders look a lot more part of my intended café theme. These sliders look like that ought to do the job. R&G is mighty proud of those frame sliders. To top it all off, I ordered a set of the tinted ChicDesign hand guards from Samurider. They are in the mail.

Had to raid a bit of my stash of rainy day loot. What the Hey, I am a retired old widowed geezer who just gained another year on the odometer. It's only money and none of us is going to live forever. :thumbsup:

The bike probably won't all come together until sometime next year. Too cold and still waiting on parts. All of the information and tips for what to get and where to get it came off of this forum. Great place for CB1100 ideas and sources of good stuff...even if no one really likes my grips. :P
Hey, the grips are great...good work..very innovative on your part.
Where do you put the air hose to blow off the grips? (color me dumb).
 
Thread starter
[/QUOTE]
Hey, the grips are great...good work..very innovative on your part.
Where do you put the air hose to blow off the grips? (color me dumb).
[/QUOTE]

Hey Bokobob,

You need to use an air-dork and point/slip it in between the grip and the handle bar. Lift the edge of the grip at the end of the handlebar with a screw driver and poke the air dork in between the grip and the handle bar. Then give it a shot of air. Might have to twist and pull on the grip a bit, but it should come off, maybe not all at once. Slide the air dork up in there as you go and keep twisting and pulling while shooting it with the air. It should come off without too much trouble. Hope this helps.

Regards,
 
4myredhonda_imp said:
Hi Ferret,

Yeah, I have belonged to a number of different forums and it seems each has its own character. I got quite a nice welcome from here in the New Members section. That's part of what makes it feel kind of odd that so many stopped to look at this post, but next to none even voiced an opinion, or shared their own experiences. I realize that Grips is not a hot topic; and I am not trying to be critical, but what's the point of participating, if there is no response?

There is a load of good information here among the chatter, but if this what one can expect as the norm.............. Thanks for your time and interest. Have good one!
you should see the UK board, I copy/paste my loooooong introduction on their New Members section and.....NO replies.

I already gave up on commenting the non-commenters.
 
Riko, I, ferret, and some others joined that board when the '13s first came out, but it was pretty quiet and mostly UK members. So when Guth turned on this board I pretty much jumped ship and don't check over there much anymore.

Its funny how some forums just take off and some don't.
 
Thread starter
4myredhonda_imp said:
Okay...Already...So far out of 155 views, one person gives my grips a thumbs up and another guy thinks they are different. I get it...alright. No hard feelings. To each their own.

Well, while I have been waiting (some more) for the ChicDesign seat and fairing, I decided to raid the internet and ordered a few more goodies. The Pirate's Lair had one Staintune slip-on for the CB1100 left in stock, ordered it on the 24th and it arrived today (27th). That's amazingly fast shipping, especially during the holiday season. The pipe looks super! I also decided to order a set of the R&G Racing Aero Frame Sliders. I just don't like the idea of crash bars on this bike. To me, frame sliders look a lot more part of my intended café theme. These sliders look like that ought to do the job. R&G is mighty proud of those frame sliders. To top it all off, I ordered a set of the tinted ChicDesign hand guards from Samurider. They are in the mail.

Had to raid a bit of my stash of rainy day loot. What the Hey, I am a retired old widowed geezer who just gained another year on the odometer. It's only money and none of us is going to live forever. :thumbsup:

The bike probably won't all come together until sometime next year. Too cold and still waiting on parts. All of the information and tips for what to get and where to get it came off of this forum. Great place for CB1100 ideas and sources of good stuff...even if no one really likes my grips. :P
Just got word (Takashi mail tracking) that my Comet 2 fairing is at Chicago. Ought to have it in a few days. Looking forward to opening the box! Sport trunk seat is due sometime end of January. Takashi really provides good customer service and this forum is the best for all things CB1100.:clap:
 
no, they look different, watch closely

RC2
8e08842d516f6fc359d6fd09efd88286.jpg

5871bdff1d53fe258ffdf07844e9d674.jpg



RC1
4bdc2fb8cc1bdc78805104e4ea1edde8.jpg

0df7fa77e70c9e58036b5900653d987f.jpg



The RC2 is also slightly wider

the lip area is different
the lipline runs all the way to the bolts on both sides on the RC2, not on the RC1


Personally I prefer the RC1 because of that strange lipline on the RC2, it just looks weird....



Side by side
13f015e273e2b149a612378ad4fda3a2.jpg
3a42ea816e682cf539b9640a5262fb84.jpg
 
Oh I see!! Thanks for that. RC2 is a little more angular and aggressive. I think it would look pretty good on the black to give it more lines.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top