While I am Waiting.....

4myredhonda_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
We've had a pretty nasty cold weekend here in northeast Kansas. Started off in the mid 20's, cloudy and over cast, but it has warmed up into the lower 50's. Still kind of dreary. Not a good riding day.

Anyhow...After ordering the new seat and fairing from Samurider a few days ago, I kind of got the itch to do something...anything...to the CB. I had always kind of wanted to keep the bike stock, I think simply because I admired and wanted to preserve the original 1970's look. Well, having bit the bullet on the seat and fairing, that notion kind of went by the wayside.

I had a nice pair of grips laying around. I had found them on ebay and had put them on my CBR's. I liked the way they looked and the Feel was just right. But had never really entertained the idea of putting them on the CB1100. But now, having embraced the Café theme, I wondered if they would fit. Turned out they were a tiny bit shorter than the stock grips, by maybe an 1/8th of an inch. So decided to see if I could get the original grips off without messing them up to see if the new ones would work. I used an air compressor with an air-dork and was able to literally blow them up and get them off without any damage. I poured a little rubbing alcohol inside of the new grips and with a bit twisting and pushing got the new ones on without too much trouble. The only problem was that the stock bar end weights stuck out quite a bit from the end of the grips. The weights stuck out a little with the stock grips, just not quite so much. Well, I checked out the bar end weights on the CBR's (aftermarket) and the part of the weight that sticks out the end that goes into the handlebars was not quite as long. So I tried them on the CB and they fit just right. And, Actually, the CB stock bar end weights fit on the CBR just fine. So we are in business. :clap:

I have posted pics of the new grips and a link to them on ebay, If anyone is interested. They come from Taiwan, but delivery is pretty quick to the USA. I really like this grip and now have them on all of my Hondas. The plastic end pieces come in a few colors, as well. I just like the black.

I have scratched the CB itch for today.:biker:

Cheers,





[url=http://s916.photobucket.com/user/Ksbeemer/media/IMG_2262_zpsts0gjqlh.jpg.html]

[url=http://s916.photobucket.com/user/Ksbeemer/media/IMG_2261_zpst89yaxuk.jpg.html]

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-tread-pattern-grip-comfy-TPR-black-trim-22mm-x1-25mm-x1-motorcycle-/400975669852?vxp=mtr&hash=item5d5c032a5c]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-tread-pattern-grip-comfy-TPR-black-trim-22mm-x1-25mm-x1-motorcycle-/400975669852?vxp=mtr&hash=item5d5c032a5c
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
Nicely done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Rocky,

Nothing really too fancy, I just really like the feel and look of these grips. To me, they fit the café racer theme, too. That's quite an impressive list of British Iron you have listed in your signature block. Those bikes were really cool back in the day. And now, the Brits are building some pretty impressive stuff :thumbsup:

Never owned a Brit bike, but they were a classy ride. I did own and race another European brand...Bultaco. Too bad none of the Spanish marques made it passed the Japanese era.

Have a good one!
 
Thread starter
Okay...Already...So far out of 155 views, one person gives my grips a thumbs up and another guy thinks they are different. I get it...alright. No hard feelings. To each their own.

Well, while I have been waiting (some more) for the ChicDesign seat and fairing, I decided to raid the internet and ordered a few more goodies. The Pirate's Lair had one Staintune slip-on for the CB1100 left in stock, ordered it on the 24th and it arrived today (27th). That's amazingly fast shipping, especially during the holiday season. The pipe looks super! I also decided to order a set of the R&G Racing Aero Frame Sliders. I just don't like the idea of crash bars on this bike. To me, frame sliders look a lot more part of my intended café theme. These sliders look like that ought to do the job. R&G is mighty proud of those frame sliders. To top it all off, I ordered a set of the tinted ChicDesign hand guards from Samurider. They are in the mail.

Had to raid a bit of my stash of rainy day loot. What the Hey, I am a retired old widowed geezer who just gained another year on the odometer. It's only money and none of us is going to live forever. :thumbsup:

The bike probably won't all come together until sometime next year. Too cold and still waiting on parts. All of the information and tips for what to get and where to get it came off of this forum. Great place for CB1100 ideas and sources of good stuff...even if no one really likes my grips. :P
 
Thread starter
Thanks for chiming in Pauley. I don't expect everyone to have the same tastes, but you'd think at least someone would at least comment. Have a good one!
 
Keep in mind you can't judge views against responses as a measure of interest. If that were so, seat time reports wouldn't be worth writing. There are many many more lurkers than there are participants on any forum.

If its any consolation this thread has nearly twice the responses that the Ryujin CB1100 thread has with the same number of views lol
 
Thread starter
Hi Ferret,

Yeah, I have belonged to a number of different forums and it seems each has its own character. I got quite a nice welcome from here in the New Members section. That's part of what makes it feel kind of odd that so many stopped to look at this post, but next to none even voiced an opinion, or shared their own experiences. I realize that Grips is not a hot topic; and I am not trying to be critical, but what's the point of participating, if there is no response?

There is a load of good information here among the chatter, but if this what one can expect as the norm.............. Thanks for your time and interest. Have good one!
 
I don't know why exactly but I would have expected the grip pattern "rotate" in the same direction.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
I don't know why exactly but I would have expected the grip pattern "rotate" in the same direction.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guth,

Very observant...I noticed that too. Don't know why that is and I tried to figure out if one of the grips could be turned around. But the outside end ring of rubber would have to be cut-off and then replaced after turning it around and sliding things back together. I checked the grips on my CBR's and they line up like you suggest..

9c0121a98417f7445c5e80aa18a0b5a5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Doesn't really bother me all that much. The grips are not glued on, so if I ever get really bored, I might try to take one off, cut the rubber end ring off, turn everything around and put it back on...........Probably not! You really got sharp eyes!
 
4My,

They look good! Do they hold ok without being glued on?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
4My,

They look good! Do they hold ok without being glued on?
Hey Popgun,

Thanks. I like these grips because they are just a little bit larger in diameter than the stock grips and the rubber compound has a solid feel to it. I also like the way they look….just personal preference.

The glue part is kind of a test and see. Some grips I’ve used need it and others don’t. I know that’s not much help, but even if they do need glue, using an air-dork and compressed air will usually free them up. In fact, there was a little glue residue left on the handlebars once I got the stock grips off. They still came off fairly easy with the compressed air.

I use a screw driver to lift the edge of the grip open and poke the air-dork in there and give it a shot of air while twisting and pulling the grip off. Usually works pretty good and the grips come off undamaged. I poured some rubbing alcohol inside of the new grips and sloshed it around before trying to put the new ones on. Makes it easier to get them on. The rubbing alcohol will evaporate and usually the grips stay put.
 
I've only done grips once, and that was last Winter when I put heated grips on my ST. The Honda instructions actually said to use the alcohol to break the glue and get them off. And after applying the new adhesive, to liberally apply alcohol and slid them on fast! I didn't try the air trick, just worked them with a screw driver to help get the alcohol in good. Didn' know about the air trick then :(

Actually only had to glue on the left side as the throttle side came installed on the tube already.
 
This brings up question I have had for some time. Why do we glue on grips rather than molding ridges into the grips and throttle tubes so they mesh together and don't slip?? How hard could that be ??? I would have heated grips already if it weren't for the hassle of ripping loose the old grips and trying to glue the new ones without getting glue everywhere and likely getting a sticky throttle in the end. I hate the whole process.
Rant over, but I'd love to know why things are as they are.
 
Inhouse,

If you buy the Honda kit, you only have to glue the left side, and it isn't really that bad. The right side grip comes installed on a new throttle tube. Just take remove the tube, slide on the new one and reconnect the cables and bar ends.
 
They look good, 4myred. I came to the CB from a Shadow which had thicker grips and it took me a while to get used to the thinner ones. I fear I'm too lazy to do much about it.

Don't be too dejected about the lack of response. There's just no knowing what will get people round here going.
 
Funny but I was on ST forum a bit ago and noticed a thread where a guy was advertising a scale model ST for sale. He originally put the ad up in January 2015. There have been 6602 views. This morning he bumped the ad to the top. His bump was the only response. It's been a long year for that ad lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Funny but I was on ST forum a bit ago and noticed a thread where a guy was advertising a scale model ST for sale. He originally put the ad up in January 2015. There have been 6602 views. This morning he bumped the ad to the top. His bump was the only response. It's been a long year for that ad lol.
So how did the little scaled down grips look? :D
 
Back
Top