Which wire to tap for GPS power?

Inhouse Bob

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi all,
For those of you who understand that mysterious thing that is electrics... what positive wire up front should I tap to power my GPS? I want it to be a keyed wire, so when I shut the bike off, the GPS will power down as well. I'd like to use a wire up by the instrument panel so that there isn't a wire running all the way from under the seat. My wiring harness has it's own fuse.
Thanks in advance!
 
Inhouse, There is a red capped accessory connector in the headlight shell (the bucket) There is no currently known accessory for it so you can tap that. For info, there is another accessory connector back by the battery.

Its about bedtime, but I'll look at the wiring diagram for the wire colors for ground and hot. You could use a meter, but if electrics is mysterious, you may not have one :)

Those colors are posted somewhere on the site, but I don't remember where. Found it : Aux power

See the second post by VFRpaul
 
And it works well, Inhouse. I tapped it for a power outlet.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
And it works well, Inhouse. I tapped it for a power outlet.
Thanks all. Y'all are great resources. I will get it done!
Bob
 
Bob, popgun can tell you about a connector that should just plug into the existing Honda one. I didn't know about it and had to muck around cutting the old one off and wiring in a new one.
 
Bob, The easiest thing to do is cut off the connector like Cormanus or tap the wires . The connectors are Hitachi connectors (and pins). A member did post a link to a source for them last year or in '13.

You will have to do a site search on Hitachi and find that link. Then figure out what connector you want. I never did do any of that that as I figured I could find it someday if I needed a connector or pins.
 
Bob, you could also de-pin the connector if you wanted to for whatever reason. I haven't looked specifically at the accessory connector, but the others I have looked at on the bike are really easy to de-pin. Just use a small tool to move a plastic locking lever and pull the wire/pin out. Easy to see if you look.
 
Thread starter
Hiram E. Varona_imp said:
There is one solution that will work 100% of the time. Don't install a GPS! They still sell maps, or better yet plan the trip ahead of time.
Thanks. That was pretty helpful :dodgy:

Got it all wired up and good to go. Thanks for the intel on the wire nest inside the light bucket. I'm amazed at what is stuffed in there. I padded it up real well, too, and my mystery buzzing is gone. So thanks for that, as well!
 
People round here are pretty helpful. I appreciate that.
 
This old thread is not over for me. Thank you very much for the helpful and friendly informations I read in it. I plugged my phone in the headlight shell in the old way - as Cormanus did- and it works! Just a question: is this circuit protected by a fuse ? I didn't put in any fuse between my phone and the circuit ... I'm rather worried...

Guy
 
Occiguy, if you tapped into the Red accessory connector it (and the other one) are protected by the 10amp Meter, illumi fuse. That from the wiring diagram.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Occiguy, if you tapped into the Red accessory connector it (and the other one) are protected by the 10amp Meter, illumi fuse. That from the wiring diagram.
Red accessory connector, meter panel and taillight all on same circuit with 10 amp fuse. I blew 2 fuses hooking up my radar detector, which BTW is wire polarity-sensitive.
 
White Dog, that would make sense. One wire is ground and the other is +12dc. Don't wanna mix those up... :0

Anytime Occi :) Glad to help.
 
Been following everyone's helpful posts on tapping into the 10amp red connector in the headlight assembly. Order the parts from Eastern Beaver Company (did this guy relocate from Oregon to Japan?). Part number were 2P090WP-HM for male adapter ($2.95) and 2P090WP-HM for male/female kit ($4.95). Ordered the xtra kit plus other stuff because min order is $20 plus $5 shipping. Thanks again to you all :)
 
Back
Top