Which is Best???

bubblerboy64_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Heated grips or heated gloves? Had a BMW once with heated grips but I never rode the bike in weather requiring I use them. I tried them once and thought "man these things get HOT"

Obviously gloves for multiple bike use but just wondered what those of you who have had both think of the grips as compared to the gloves.

Might also give opinions of which gloves if you have found advantages of one particular brand. If you think gloves the way to go.
 
I do not have heated grips on my bikes, but have ridden bikes with them. They're great. Allows you to wear less bulky gloves with improved feel for the controls, all year long. But when you have multiple bikes, it becomes a pretty expensive proposition. So, I have heated gloves for winter.

The thing is, I ski, so I have battery powered ones, and they work great for both ski and bike. Made by Gerbing, but the brand is Volt, I believe. I also have a battery heated vest. the rechargeable batteries last for 4 or more hours at middle level heat, which is more time than I'll be out in cold weather anyway. You can buy extras as well. If you're a fully committed winter rider, then the wired- up Gerbing, First Gear or other brands are the the ticket. Plus heated grips!
 
I suggest both together if you can do it. I have grip heaters on a V-Strom which warm your palms very nicely. But when temps go below about 40, I add battery heated gloves which keep the backs of your hands warm.
 
I just brought Venture 12v heated glove liners, amp draw is 4 amps. I'm looking at the Venture 12v vest. I have only used the gloves once and they worked great. They came with the Y harness and battery fused connection. They worked great with out a controller. The Venture vest comes with the controller.
I have never used or had heated grips. Looking at the price of the grips and attachment kit from Honda you could buy a heated vest and at least the gloves if not the heated pants liner too and have everything warm. I would not consider heated grips and heated gloves and other heated gear due to the amp draw on the system.
There is some concerns about the alternator output the CB11.
I'm struggling with the cold weather myself. Just my 2 cents.
 
Consider both.

Grips are great for those days when the temps are just brisk enough that you want some warming on your digits, no matter what gloves you're wearing.

But heated gloves are a necessity if you're doing day-long rides in cold country.
 
I have the heated grips and like them a lot but have used heated gloves with them when it is bad. I set the grips on low or med. .
I have the IonGear battery gloves. I use them when I blow snow also and it really helps!
 
I have had my heated gloves for over 10 years and they still work good. In 10 years I have had many bikes.................and the gloves have worked good with all of them.........so why spend the bucks for heated grips and only have them for that bike when gloves will go with all your bikes in the future. The only hassle with gloves is the power cord but I just run them inside my jacket down the sleeves. But whatever makes you happy.
 
Best? Try living in southern California. 79 degrees today and I rode for three hours. You meet the nicest people on a CB 1100.
 
Lol ca200. All kidding aside, I do have respect for riders that get out in bad weather to get miles in. As for me and my crew, too many sunny days to mess with bad weather.
 
CB1100dan_imp said:
Lol ca200. All kidding aside, I do have respect for riders that get out in bad weather to get miles in. As for me and my crew, too many sunny days to mess with bad weather.

What an enviable position to be in.

On the other hand, where I live in SW Ohio, very little traffic, great riding roads, no earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, very few biting insects, no poisonous snakes, small population density, four distinct seasons, low cost of living. There is a lot of good about living here, and you can ride about 300 days if you consider between 32 and 90 acceptable and are willing to ride in the rain on some of those days lol
 
My BMW of 24 years had heated grips from day one. Love them always. The new CB1100 will get them installed at the 600 mile service. I live in Texas now and won't need them much here but those mountains are calling in the future.

SO I VOTE FOR GRIPS!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Installed heated grips on the Griso last year. Left hand side needs works as it tends to heat the handle bar more than me.

Went with heated glove liners (still a work in progress, plan is to visit Aerostich next month with the liners and score on some proper sized leather gloves) a few weeks ago and I have to fall on the side of gloves/liners. The heat is all around the hand, no cold spots. Simply wonderful. Getting all plugged in is no picnic and a bit of a hassle though and that part may sway some folks back to grips. I'll sort the left grip some day so that I'll have a choice. I have no plans to add heated grips to the CB.
 
I have my First Gear/Warm-n-safe heated jacket liner and glove liners set up on a dual controller so that they can be worn together or separately. I keep the controller in the right side of my tank bag which will go from bike to bike. I wear the glove liners inside leather mittens, keeping all my fingers together. The heat controller is set up to plug into the battery tender plug I have on all my bikes, although when it gets cold enough to necessitate the glove liners and jacket liner, which for me is under 32 degrees, I'm more than likely on the Honda ST 1300 due to the superior wind protection.

 
Back
Top