Where can I find longer brake lines?

Inhouse Bob

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi all,
I got some Rox Risers (2"), but the front brake line is too short to let me adjust them properly. Has anyone found a supplier for longer brake lines?
 
There is probably a local company that can make them up for you wherever you live. I had a set of stainless lines made up for my other bike, made and pressure tested while I waited. It was just a place that specialized in industrial hoses and fittings. Though it requires some searching, this is probably easier than getting any of the big guys (Galfer, etc...) to make custom ones.

The hard part about the CB is that it's a banjo fitting on the master cylinder side and then a compression fitting where it bolts to the hardline on the frame. This eliminates most pre-made lines out there.
 
Bob, I can't help you with a specific supplier but if you Google up "Motorcycle brake lines USA" you will be faced with a world of choice, both standard and custom.

Good luck and Cheers,
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
I would check japan.webike.net. They have a ton of brake lines under the CB1100 section.
That's the trouble I'm having. So many choices and I am pretty clueless as to what I really need. No site seems to list "2013 CB1100ABS front brake lines - 3" longer than stock so Bob can use his bar risers."
Now wouldn't that be so very helpful? :celebrate:
 
OK Bob, why don't you remove your brake lines, send them to a custom fabricator (use good ol' Google) and ask for a set 3ins longer. You can get some real nice colours as well. Send us a pic.

Cheers
 
kmoney has a good suggestion. Find a local company that makes up lines. Ask a farm implement dealer about one, or someplace that sell fork lifts, etc. Then take a ride there and show them what you have now and ask if they can make one 3 inches longer. My bet is that they can.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all! I found Crossroads Cycles in Arlington, VA. Dennis, the owner, was very helpful and is getting me fixed up.
Onward and upward!
Bob
 
Great! Are they ordering/installing for you? I'd be itching to give it a try when you are set up. Would be great to get a more upright position.
 
Bob -

I, too, was very close to ordering the Rox 2" risers and was hoping all lines and cables would be long enough (with possible rerouting). I'm sure glad I saw your post before placing my order.

Please keep us posted about your progress with this issue so I can do the same.

I have a 2014 CB1100 standard.
 
Thread starter
EarsOnWheels_imp said:
Great! Are they ordering/installing for you? I'd be itching to give it a try when you are set up. Would be great to get a more upright position.
I expect I'll just have them do it all. I'm not good with the bleeding and all. You are welcome to check it out when done.
 
Thread starter
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Anything new Bob? Pictures? Cost of lines and installation?
Just got over there yesterday, so don't expect to have the parts in for a few more days. The shop owner is on vacation, so that will slow things as well. I'll post up when I have more.
 
Thread starter
Sorry to be slow in following up on this thread.
I am working with Crossroads Cycles in Bailey's Crossroads, Arlington, VA. The owner, Dennis, was on vacation last week and I guess he is the guy that does the ordering.
Anyhow, I saw him on Tuesday and had him measure things up and tell me what he thought I needed. Rather than going with a single break line from the right hand reservoir, he is going to install a splitter right below the reservoir and run two lines down to the front calipers. Anyone see a problem with doing that? It seems that the splitter (for lack of a better word) that is mounted on the front below the headlight bucket is a sealed unit and so you can't just replace the top brake line and leave the rest intact. Dangit.
So, parts are on order and I am anxious to get them installed. But, I will be taking the girls to college next week and so it'll be another week before I can get back over there. Dangit again.
Meanwhile, I have the 2" Rox Risers installed (but angled forward a bit so as to not strain the brake line) and the riding position is already much better for me.
I rode out in the country this morning with daughter #1 on the back and I was comfortable for three hours of seat time and didn't have the stress/irritability/neck and shoulder strain I have been experiencing up to now. This bodes well.
Onward and upward!
Bob
 
Bob -

I have exactly the same issue with my 2014 CB1100. I installed the 2" ROX risers and it's clear to me that I definitely need a longer brake line in order to adjust my handlebar back closer to me while riding.

Do you happen to know how much Crossroads Cycle charges for parts and labor for this brake line modification? I'm ready to get this done ASAP. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
Catbird_imp said:
Bob -

I have exactly the same issue with my 2014 CB1100. I installed the 2" ROX risers and it's clear to me that I definitely need a longer brake line in order to adjust my handlebar back closer to me while riding.

Do you happen to know how much Crossroads Cycle charges for parts and labor for this brake line modification? I'm ready to get this done ASAP. Thanks.
Hi Catbird,
I just got a call from Dennis at Crossroads saying that my new lines are installed and ready to go. The total comes to just under $300, parts and labor. It took about a week to get the parts and install them. We had delays because I was traveling. I'll post up once I have it in hand and give a review of the experience and results. Might even have photos if I remember. Crossroads has a great collection of assorted iron including a late '70s Kawasaki 900 that is so clean you'd think it was new. It looks better than my CB, dangit.
 
Bob -

Do you know if Dennis suggested re-routing the throttle cables to the other side of the front fork? Those two cables seem like there's not a whole lot of slack to allow for much adjustment because I'm going to need my risers pivoted to almost a 45 degree angle toward my body. (I have an old sports related injury to my shoulder which has left me with significant arthritis.)
 
Thread starter
Catbird_imp said:
Bob -

Do you know if Dennis suggested re-routing the throttle cables to the other side of the front fork? Those two cables seem like there's not a whole lot of slack to allow for much adjustment because I'm going to need my risers pivoted to almost a 45 degree angle toward my body. (I have an old sports related injury to my shoulder which has left me with significant arthritis.)
He was working on the final position when I talked to him and we will fiddle with it tomorrow if I can hitch a ride over there. I'm going for the same 45 degrees, and if need be, we will rerun the other cables, but there is some slack there.
I'll let you know.
Bob
 
Back
Top