peterbaron
Road warrior
Stay in good health SD, glad to hear from you..
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Kia Soul all model years is an incredible car with multiple back-to-back-to-back-to ... international awards.SportsterDoc_imp said:Rancho Power Sports finally sold my 2014, as I no longer see it on their website.
Last asking price was $5,500.
Now, they are advertising a new 2014.
Check out the price!
https://www.ridenowrancho.com/inven...y-Type/Motorcycle/Sport/CB1100/Base---1689071
My right eye has almost fully recovered, but I am resolved that I should remain retired from motorcycling. Last month I bought a 2019 Kia Soul. Not the best for acceleration, but I can haul up to 4 grandkids on outings and it does not take up much room in the garage. It is a base model, manual 6 speed. Other than adding a full size spare, it is stock.
I still check here from time to time, but not seeing any electrical issues.
Safe and enjoyable riding to all!
You'll disagree, but price is an important feature when positioning a product in the marketplace. In the CB's case, the "high price" implied quality and exclusivity. We all know about bikes that cost less but have higher performance, but they're not "intended" for the same consumer as I believe the CB is. Same argument can be made for Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, etc. These cars come with a certain discriminating social appeal. They could probably be priced lower, but then their intended customer might look elsewhere. Think about the upcoming $6000 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor. $6000 must mean it's junk, right? I'm not convinced.m in sc_imp said:when they came out, the bonneville was 7900 at the local dealer ( i know, my ex wife worked there), about 8500 out the door. honda was 11k out door (know the old sales manager at mcckinney salinas). nowhere close. they are now selling holdovers in the 6-7k range, honda isnt going to lose money on them, so 8.5k new should have yielded plenty of profit.
). The 2013 & 2014 have some very nice details, they are really built nicely so I think the price point is just fine.
I’m not sure about this. Apparently, CB1100s haven’t sold well in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia—I say this ‘cause you can’t buy a current model—but Honda is producing not one, not two, but three models for the Japanese and perhaps other Asian markets.GoldOxide_imp said:LR: (+1) Honda marketing knew what they were doing. This is their historic defining marque line. I suspect, however, the volume wasn't what they were hoping - not big numbers, but more numbers.
I would have to disagree that they could have sold the 2013/2014 standards new for anything close to $8500. There just isn't that much profit margin in them. When the dealers didn't buy them new, they (the US distributor) had to discount them each year. They also had to pay rent on warehouse space and interest for financing them as they sat in the warehouses for 4 years. There were definitely losses taken just to get rid of them.m in sc_imp said:when they came out, the bonneville was 7900 at the local dealer ( i know, my ex wife worked there), about 8500 out the door. honda was 11k out door (know the old sales manager at mcckinney salinas). nowhere close. they are now selling holdovers in the 6-7k range, honda isnt going to lose money on them, so 8.5k new should have yielded plenty of profit.
I agree with your Ducati and Triumph comments, but not about Honda. While they do need to have high volume models, they also have had so many low volume niche models: Rune, DN-01, VFR1200 and VFR1200X, NM4, CTX1300, Valkyrie 6, all scarcer than the CB1100. I can count on one hand the number of those I've seen on the road.m in sc_imp said:I completely disagree. ducati made the same mistake with the sport classics, was considered a failure. when everybody wanted one was when they quit making them, then the prices went low.. then, 2 years later, thru the roof on the used market.
like i said, the bonneville is the best example of this done correctly. you can't swing a stick without hitting one on any gathering of bikes, they are everywhere. they are great quality bikes as well. and i'm sorry, honda has -never- been about exclusivity. it flies in the face of their business philosophy in the bike world.
bmw, audi, etc examples really don't apply here IMHO. the bikes we are discussing are niche market bikes. the cars aren't niche market cars. (there's an audi tt sitting in my garage actually).
Remember that the Bonnevilles are made in Thailand, where the labor and manufacturing costs are very low. The CB1100 and Honda's other "premium" bikes (Gold Wing, CBR600RR and CBR1000RR, and Africa Twin) are made in Japan, where manufacturing costs are about as high as anywhere.m in sc_imp said:Not that scarce around here. I've seen plenty or runes, Valkyrie 6's here. They (honda) tried to cash in on nostalgia, all the companies did to soem degree. i'd bet honda is wayyyy better than triumph at manufacturing efficiently... and they STILL WERE (THE TRIUMPHS) AT 7600 msrp for the bonnie in 2010. Everybody i talked to that wanted the CB1100 that bought something else were turned off by 1: cost and 2: meh performance. It just wasn't worth it to a bunch of people. Somebody will always buy something at MSRP regardless of how overpriced it is. A few even bought, for example, the suzuki B-king. 2 years later they could be had for like 5k.
I wanted a CB1100 bad when i saw the press releases, but It wasn't worth it IMHO @ retail, a sentiment i've heard from a bunch of people. There's NO WAY they would have lost money (corp honda) at 8k-8.5 per unit.
Dittopekingduck_imp said:My points were that some motorcycles cost more to make, and where it's made is a big factor. And that all manufacturers have to dump merchandise below their cost if they can't sell them.
And I agree, the value of anything is influenced by the market - what we are willing to pay.
Perhaps we all overpaid for our CB1100s. Compared to a Suzuki Bandit or Yamaha FZ10, bikes that are better in almost every way, and way less expensive. Really, what can the CB1100 do that those bikes can't?
I can say, having a 2013 and a 2014, that I was willing to pay more because I liked the looks of it, it was the last of the air-cooleds, it was a Honda, it was made in Japan, and it just felt and worked right. I have no regrets about them.