Where are all the CB1100?

562loosenoodle_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have to say that when I obsess on a vehicle I tend to notice them everywhere. Is it possible that my CB1100 is the only one running around Los Angeles? Have yet to see another one on the road. So odd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Counting mine, I know of 3 CB1100's running around the greater Sacramento area. Haven't seen one at the stealership lately.
 
I have only spotted 1 around this area, but I know Memphis Mike is around the town just haven’t seen him. So that makes 3 that I know of .
 
CB1100 was priced as a premium bike in Ontario for sure. The bikes did not move quickly at all. I procrastinated a whole season and the bike was still in the showroom before I committed.
 
According to the forum map, there are only two within 100 miles of me and they have been added only in the last year or so.

That is one thing that made the rallies so special!

My K1600, there are 3 within 5 miles of me, not counting all the R1200RTs.

I don't mind riding alone, but It does make it easier to find riding buddies.
 
Honda did not import very many CB1100s - it was never meant as a mass-market bike. The US distributor, like the Canadian distributor, UK and each of the European distributors have to order a year or so in advance, and they would rather guess low than guess high.

Too few, and market demand stays up, insuring profits for the dealers and good resale value. Too many, and unsold leftover models have to be dumped on the market, meaning those of us who bought early will take a beating at trade-in/resale time.

They were made in Japan to a higher standard of fit and finish than most anything out there, and thus premium priced. I'm actually glad there aren't so many of them - it feels more special to me. It's a Sunday rider rather than my everyday V-Strom.
 
There's two in my garage and my brother has one also. I never thought the CB was priced too high, price was about the same as a Bonneville. Honda never promoted the CB and never offered any support with accessories, unlike Triumph.

The best outcome of Honda's lack of sales is the bargain prices being asked for unsold examples.
 
I've been an owner for about 6 months now. Have not seen another one on the road yet. There is a new leftover deluxe at the local Honda dealer collecting dust. They are such great bikes, l'm amazed they never did well. I love mine. It suits me perfect with a few minor ajustments. I paid $5,999.00 for a new leftover. Very happy.
 
$6K USD is such a great price for a new CB. Dealerships in Canada will hold on tooth+nail at the MSRP saying there is limited supply. (uh, no kiddin')
 
DBM_imp said:
I've been an owner for about 6 months now. Have not seen another one on the road yet. There is a new leftover deluxe at the local Honda dealer collecting dust. They are such great bikes, l'm amazed they never did well. I love mine. It suits me perfect with a few minor ajustments. I paid $5,999.00 for a new leftover. Very happy.
New leftover deluxe? I'd like to see a picture of that.
 
The CB1100 target audience is more mature, as the forum survey shows - 40-60 age range. Lets face it, most remain mostly stock, and most of us like it like that.

If you wanted a touring bike, Honda had Gold Wings and Valkyries and ST1300. Something faster? CBR1000RRs, CB1000R, VFR1200s. They promoted it as much as they anticipated sales would be. It was a niche market bike for those who grew up with the original CB750.

When the Bonnevilles were first introduced in the US, I had the chance to talk with a national sales manager at a motorcycle show. He said at the time that they didn't feel the Bonneville would be a large part of their lineup, maybe 20%. It is now close to 60% and growing.

Their target audience was 20-30- maybe 40 years old, so clothing and lots of acccessories made sense. They really hit a home run with it. The real beauty of the Bonneville was that it could be a retro bike, a proper cafe racer, a scrambler, a bobber, a chopper, a lite tourer, a hooligan bike, a race bike, or a rat bike - just about any direction you wanted to personalize it.
 
Triumph makes very good motorcycle clothing/gear. I sometimes wished Honda would surprise the riding community with some alluring swag.

Interestingly, Moto Guzzi and Ducati have a spectrum of wear swag too, but typically more likely fashionable than functional.
 
Rancho Power Sports finally sold my 2014, as I no longer see it on their website.

Last asking price was $5,500.

Now, they are advertising a new 2014.

Check out the price!

https://www.ridenowrancho.com/inven...y-Type/Motorcycle/Sport/CB1100/Base---1689071

My right eye has almost fully recovered, but I am resolved that I should remain retired from motorcycling. Last month I bought a 2019 Kia Soul. Not the best for acceleration, but I can haul up to 4 grandkids on outings and it does not take up much room in the garage. It is a base model, manual 6 speed. Other than adding a full size spare, it is stock.

I still check here from time to time, but not seeing any electrical issues.

Safe and enjoyable riding to all!
 
Doc if your eyesight recovers, why don't you think you should ride again?
 
Great hearing from you Doc. I always enjoy reading your informative posts. Your technical contributions always challenges to my two remaining active brain cells! Stay well and enjoy the grandkids, I know I do.
 
redbirds_imp said:
There's two in my garage and my brother has one also. I never thought the CB was priced too high, price was about the same as a Bonneville. Honda never promoted the CB and never offered any support with accessories, unlike Triumph.

The best outcome of Honda's lack of sales is the bargain prices being asked for unsold examples.
^ +1
 
The ferret_imp said:
Doc if your eyesight recovers, why don't you think you should ride again?
Well, if the cause was a stroke, as I suspect for a previous short term issue in Sep 2016, should the next one be debilitating or fatal, then one of my kids or grandkids can have the car.

Hey, I am glad that I could enjoy 17 bikes in 55 years of riding. 12,500 miles on the CB in 10 months was very enjoyable!
 
Back
Top