When your ABS kicks in....

el duque_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
What is that like?

I wanted my next ride to have abs. Now it does. 14dlx.

If I have to brake hard what am I going to experience in the feel of how the bike responds?

I understand that with abs - a caliper will brake and release faster and without panic than the human brain thereby preventing a lock up of the brakes and a skid. Without it I'm not that good...

I'm wondering if I grab a handful of brake, is the bike going to stop with me on it or is the force going to pitch me forward anyway. I'm guessing no cause we are braking not sliding. But that is going to be some fast stopping I reckon.

I've been riding a 35yo bike of late. The brakes on it were nothing compared to "modern" brakes let ones that had ABS.

With the traffic and drivers around here....It isn't inevitable I have to go into abs mode but the chances are greater imho. It has changed in the last 5 yrs even. I am not under an illusion abs is going to protect me or reduce the risk. Its only another tool in the box as it were along with good gear, skills, judgement etc. etc.


Have you used your ABS and were glad you had it?
 
el duque_imp said:
What is that like?

I wanted my next ride to have abs. Now it does. 14dlx.

If I have to brake hard what am I going to experience in the feel of how the bike responds?

I understand that with abs - a caliper will brake and release faster and without panic than the human brain thereby preventing a lock up of the brakes and a skid. Without it I'm not that good...

I'm wondering if I grab a handful of brake, is the bike going to stop with me on it or is the force going to pitch me forward anyway. I'm guessing no cause we are braking not sliding. But that is going to be some fast stopping I reckon.

I've been riding a 35yo bike of late. The brakes on it were nothing compared to "modern" brakes let ones that had ABS.

With the traffic and drivers around here....It isn't inevitable I have to go into abs mode but the chances are greater imho. It has changed in the last 5 yrs even. I am not under an illusion abs is going to protect me or reduce the risk. Its only another tool in the box as it were along with good gear, skills, judgement etc. etc.


Have you used your ABS and were glad you had it?
I first tested ABS on a riding course: just brake hard (front, rear or both) and it will kick-in. No big deal, but you can feel it on the lever or pedal. After testing it, I knew I needed one on my next bike (which I have now :) )

You can test it with low grip (e.g. parking lot) in a straight line, so it will kick in at lower g's and you'll go easier on your tyres.
 
I have not had to use the ABS on my CB1100EX, but I did on my 2013 CB500XA.

I was in the right lane on a 4-lane highway travelling at somewhat over the speed limit. There was a car behind me in the other lane. She realized that she was just about to miss her exit, so she speed up and swerved right at me. If I had not seen her and slammed on the brakes, she would have run right over me.

I have no idea why she didn't just slow down and change lanes behind me. Probably the same reason she almost missed her exit I guess. This is the first motorcycle I have owned that had ABS brakes. I am sure glad it did.

That reminded me why I shouldn't use busy highways while riding a motorcycle. Better to use a quiet 2-lane road and enjoy the scenery. It may take 10 minutes longer, but at least I will arrive alive.
 
I have braked very hard and my ABS not kicked in (14 DLX). Must have a high threshold
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have braked very hard and my ABS not kicked in (14 DLX). Must have a high threshold
Same on my Moto Guzzi
 
I've felt it a few times on my K1200RS, but not on my CB. Admittedly, the ABS on the BMW is now 20+ year old technology and probably not representative of newer systems. Still, it definitely works, and you can definitely feel it.
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I am assuming it feels similar to ABS on a car? Like when the pedal goes soft and you can hear the ABS clattering away.
I had that happen on my Jeep Cherokee once...it was icy. Not a good feeling. It slowed the car, not really stopping it, but I guess that is what you need on ice. I thought there was something wrong with the brakes..took it to a mechanic. "No, that was your abs kicking in"

I won't be riding the cb on ice, but I would like to be able to stop really fast if I need to.

Does it need to reset or is there maintenance that needs to be performed?

Or just ride it after the abs incident like it never happened...at least as far as the bike is concerned. :-/
 
el duque_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I am assuming it feels similar to ABS on a car? Like when the pedal goes soft and you can hear the ABS clattering away.
I had that happen on my Jeep Cherokee once...it was icy. Not a good feeling. It slowed the car, not really stopping it, but I guess that is what you need on ice. I thought there was something wrong with the brakes..took it to a mechanic. "No, that was your abs kicking in"

I won't be riding the cb on ice, but I would like to be able to stop really fast if I need to.

Does it need to reset or is there maintenance that needs to be performed?

Or just ride it after the abs incident like it never happened...at least as far as the bike is concerned. :-/
I had that happen on my Jeep Cherokee once...it was icy. Not a good feeling. It slowed the car, not really stopping it, but I guess that is what you need on ice. I thought there was something wrong with the brakes..took it to a mechanic. "No, that was your abs kicking in"

I won't be riding the cb on ice, but I would like to be able to stop really fast if I need to.

Does it need to reset or is there maintenance that needs to be performed?

Or just ride it after the abs incident like it never happened...at least as far as the bike is concerned. :-/
On a bike, you can feel the ABS, but not as much as on a CAR (where the pedal goes down, due to the brake booster+ABS combination). on the bike, you will keep control on the brake lever pressure, although you will feel some vibration from the ABS operation.
There is nothing to reset afterwards. If something is wrong with the ABS system, your ABS light will stay on.

I strongly reccomend to try your ABS braking on a safe area so you get to know how it feels.

You can start with rear braking only (clutch open, brake hard with your rear brake), and you will feel it. Then, with the front, grab the lever with decision and brake as hard as you can in a straight line.

It's very safe: it's designed to keep control under an emergency/panic situation. Just try!
 
Back
Top