When will we find out about the 2015 Hondas?

Are we talking about a 500-550 I 4? Yea I would think that would be a tough sell with all the excellent bikes that are so reasonably priced in that range including the Honda 500, 650 and 700 twins all under $8k. Plus Yamahas excellent fz07 and Fz 09 triples. Maybe not the same style bikes, but fighting for the same customer dollars.

On the other hand I would think a 400 to 550 I 4 would be really cool, but if you remember the rub back in 73-74 The CB350F's were cool but cost the same to produce as the CB 750.
 
For some reason a lot of bikes get that complaint. Yet we have 50cc bikes and on up so the size and power for the job still holds true. I can't imagine someone buying a 500cc bike thinking they will get 100 horses.
 
Dakota_imp said:
Many of the complaints about this bike are that it us under powered. How does a version half the displacement help that? I think it would be an even tougher sell.
I think my dealer was thinking that a 500-600-750 I4 retro standard would appeal to old coots like us as well as new riders. As far as your power issue, I wasn't suggesting that a smaller CB would replace the 1100, neither was my dealer. He was suggesting that a CB500 or 750 (or someplace in between) would be a replacement for the CBR500 since they have the CBR300 and 650 for the sporty demographic. Probably won't happen in any case, though.

The smaller CB conversation was completely separate from the "will there be a 2015 CB1100 in the US" convo.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
Many of the complaints about this bike are that it us under powered. How does a version half the displacement help that? I think it would be an even tougher sell.
I think my dealer was thinking that a 500-600-750 I4 retro standard would appeal to old coots like us as well as new riders. As far as your power issue, I wasn't suggesting that a smaller CB would replace the 1100, neither was my dealer. He was suggesting that a CB500 or 750 (or someplace in between) would be a replacement for the CBR500 since they have the CBR300 and 650 for the sporty demographic. Probably won't happen in any case, though.

The smaller CB conversation was completely separate from the "will there be a 2015 CB1100 in the US" convo.
I think my dealer was thinking that a 500-600-750 I4 retro standard would appeal to old coots like us as well as new riders. As far as your power issue, I wasn't suggesting that a smaller CB would replace the 1100, neither was my dealer. He was suggesting that a CB500 or 750 (or someplace in between) would be a replacement for the CBR500 since they have the CBR300 and 650 for the sporty demographic. Probably won't happen in any case, though.

The smaller CB conversation was completely separate from the "will there be a 2015 CB1100 in the US" convo. in the days of the CB 550, it was considered a big motorcycle. The 650 BSA was a popular bike to chop and the Matchless was ruling the hill climbing world. Today that displacement barely registers as a starter bike. As much as I enjoyed mine back then, I think today's market wouldn't support it. I have yet to see another CB1100 around here though I know there are a few.

Now back to the regularly scheduled musings :)
 
I recently met up with an old friend who had one of the original CB500 fours. I always wanted one. He reminded me that he'd found it a bit light on for power until he bored it out to 605 ccs (I think). He said it went well then.
 
And the 305's were a bit iffy until they made it a 350, and that was not good enough so they made it a 360. Then they jumped to 400's. Could have jumped to 450 but they already had that - and it was bumped to 500...... meh. More power is probably needed because people kept getting bigger and bigger.
 
I owned both the CB360T and CB550Four back in the day and also a 750 for a short time. The 360 was light, while the 550 was very close to the 750 (as I recall.) The 360 was more a beginner ride, but the 550 was obviously larger and had lots of power (for the day).

I would think that a retro 400 or 500 would only visually appeal to us old farts, but then after some reflection we'd realize it would be a bit small and underpowered for us as our bodies have "grown" through the years. I think Honda has it nailed with the sport bike sizes, starting with the 300 for beginners that look like their bigger models for a rider to grow into when ready to move up.

Edit: I'd think a 400 or 500 inline 4 would cost too much more to produce than all the twins that handle that displacement range quite well now.
 
I had a lot of fun on my 360T, traded it for a Kawasaki 550. It had about 50hp at the rear wheel which put me in the hospital a couple times. :) Dang that was a snappy bike. Toured on both, but the 360 had the better seat for that.

Kinda looking for a nice 360T (I have not gained all that much weight, too much, but within reason :) ).

I have found I'm a torque junky so low hp bikes like my 650L that have plenty of torque suit me just fine. Same goes for the CB and Griso.
 
Not exactly retro but I've always been saying it would be great if they brought over the CB400 Super Four which is probably one of the most popular bikes on the Japanese market and has sold in Australia and possibly UK as well.

I am pretty sure they're not going to do it, but I would have strongly considered that over the 1100 if it was an offering here. These days the new price of that is getting to be around 7 or 8k in Japan, though, so it's not even that much cheaper. Used they would go for probably 3 or 4k typically.
 
I like the retro look better. Even the CB1300 is not my taste. Looks like the ZRX1200. I know they like to change style but retro bikes just look so functional and beautiful to look at too.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Not exactly retro but I've always been saying it would be great if they brought over the CB400 Super Four which is probably one of the most popular bikes on the Japanese market and has sold in Australia and possibly UK as well.

I am pretty sure they're not going to do it, but I would have strongly considered that over the 1100 if it was an offering here. These days the new price of that is getting to be around 7 or 8k in Japan, though, so it's not even that much cheaper. Used they would go for probably 3 or 4k typically.
Don't get me started on the CB400 :) I've been a big fan of the Super Four for the last 20 years or so. I pester American Honda to bring it here at least once a year. They haven't listened so far :( That's about the only bike that would tempt me to sell the old CB750 to make room in the garage.

c6a25477e4d8d50b015222a8f0ff5204.jpg
 
For me, it is the first bike I really fell in love with and so somehow it's just what a more "modern" naked inline 4 should look like in my mind.
I can't say I'm not satisfied with what I've got now, though!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Not exactly retro but I've always been saying it would be great if they brought over the CB400 Super Four which is probably one of the most popular bikes on the Japanese market and has sold in Australia and possibly UK as well.

I am pretty sure they're not going to do it, but I would have strongly considered that over the 1100 if it was an offering here. These days the new price of that is getting to be around 7 or 8k in Japan, though, so it's not even that much cheaper. Used they would go for probably 3 or 4k typically.
Don't get me started on the CB400 :) I've been a big fan of the Super Four for the last 20 years or so. I pester American Honda to bring it here at least once a year. They haven't listened so far :( That's about the only bike that would tempt me to sell the old CB750 to make room in the garage.

c6a25477e4d8d50b015222a8f0ff5204.jpg
Don't get me started on the CB400 :) I've been a big fan of the Super Four for the last 20 years or so. I pester American Honda to bring it here at least once a year. They haven't listened so far :( That's about the only bike that would tempt me to sell the old CB750 to make room in the garage.

85c96a1ee1475f917aab5c89e1c982fc.jpg
- looks very much like a Zephyr (imo). love the lines-beautifully styled machine. very classic.
 
iif they built a retro styled version of this on the cbr500 platform in the thailand plant , they could keep the cost within reason ....
 
It's very like its larger cousin, the CB1300.
 
I think part of the problem is Honda in general. They really have thrown some spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks, with some strange new models. Their current range is mostly uninspiring, albeit high quality. And they do price their products at a premium. My sense is that many enthusiasts that might have eyes the CB and other Hondas have moved on the European brands.
 
Back
Top