Wheelie!

Papa Weeley_imp said:
...is it just me, or does that pic look PhotoShopped?!
lol yes it does wheels are not spinning and cannot chalk it up to shutter speed

however it is entirely possible to do it even if that image was a fake
 
This bike is easy to power wheelie in 1st gear. Get into first going slow let out the clutch keep it at a low rpm, give it a ton of gas, let off completely then quickly give it gas again. Pop goes the wheelie. The bike is fornt heavy so you need that bobbing motion. I have not tried clutching it. I did get my bike to about 10 'o clock.... once which made me stop doing wheelies hahahaha
 
A 550 pound bike with another 240 pounds of grade A American Beef and a very limited front fork travel wheelie-ing down a hard tarmac...No Thanks... That's a recipe for unscheduled service .....both for the bike and rider...However I wouldn't bat an eye on a full blown dirt bike bringing the front wheel up. I can remember in the days of my 'yut' impressing the heck out of Jody Marcus (my first real crush in 4th grade). She lived about 3 blocks from me and I looked for every excuse to go past her house doing a wheelie on a powder blue Schwinn Sting Ray with the sissy bar and blue metal flake seat. Hopefully I never see Jody while riding the CB because I just may have to recant the first part of this post.
 
I've do baby chop throttle wheelies all the time on the CB -- it's actually kind of nice, because you know that as long as you're not clutching it's impossible to loop it. The one in the first pic is a clutch wheelie, and I personally wouldn't try that on a bike I cared about.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
8a430bdeee08970e5dead9c0cf4fd11c.jpg
RIP Ronnie Smith, Performance Bikes mag. He was a heck of a rider.
 
Doug Domokos was known as the wheelie king. He could wheelie ANYTHING? You should have seen him wheelieing a KZ1300 6 cyl Kawasaki. He wheelied around an entire Motocross track (Carlsbad I think). He pulled a wheelie for 20 miles. What a sense of balance.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Doug Domokos was known as the wheelie king. He could wheelie ANYTHING? You should have seen him wheelieing a KZ1300 6 cyl Kawasaki. He wheelied around an entire Motocross track (Carlsbad I think). He pulled a wheelie for 20 miles. What a sense of balance.
He did the same thing at Red Bud in Buchanan, Michigan when I was there in the 70's. They brought him out between motos and I don't think his front wheel ever touched the dirt. I had never heard of the guy before (remember life before the internet, lol) so that was pretty mind boggling.
 
Ahh Red Bud. Heck of a track. I raced there in 1973 at an invitational. Accepted an offer to race a yellow and chrome Husqvarna in the 125 class. Didn't fare too well as I recall and wished I had been riding my 125 Yamaha which revved quicker, was faster, and shifted better. The Husky handled better as I recall. I do remember it was an awesome track.
 
Very impressive. A college classmate of mine was a rider on the U.S. ISDT team in 1973. He rode a Penton. I've long forgotten his name (I think it was Tom something) but he had wonderful stories of his experiences. I was in awe.
 
I'm not one to "Pop" wheelies. not with the clutch and not that bouncy b.s. either. but to me there is nothing like a bike that will simply lift it's own front wheel from torque alone! Will the CB do that? It wouldn't. Well, I recently did the drill the last baffle mod just looking for some deep tone. It sounds good. then I got to looking at the air filter and the design of it baffles me. It has two "tubes" that go, well, nowhere. One has an opening about the size of a half dollar and the other a quarter. Why? They are both always open. Anyway, there is a Plug? thing that seems to have no use too. so i took it out, providing another quarter size hole for air intake. I want to hear it suck air, so I roll out in first gear and whack open the throttle. Holy @#$%^& !!! the front wheel just took off! It freaked me out and I chopped the throttle and it slammed back down. Poor forks! But I did it again and let it just run it's course and it came up about a foot or so and then gently touched back down. Wow! Now that's torque! I'm in love with this bike all over again! And haven't spent a penny on after market parts. Now, to those of you thinking about spending $90 on the tsr air funnel thing... unless you are going to leave the side cover off so you can see that pretty gold thing... the stock cover is made in two pieces, so just pry them apart and walla! you have the same mechanical effect for free.
 
Back
Top