Wheel bearing noise?

kmoney_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just though I'd post this up to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Just rolled over 9400kms and the bike has what sounds like a bad front wheel bearing. It has the high pitched grinding noise that varies with speed and you can change the noise by changing the load -- I. E., increase it by using front brake, or pushing the front end hard into a corner.

This seems rediculous, given the low mileage of the bike and it's even weirder because I took the front wheel apart to take off the dust seals and repack the bearings and both of them feel fine. No abnormal wear on the spacers or axle either.

Just wondering if anyone had any alternative ideas as to the noise. It's not like it's hard or expensive to just change wheel bearings, but I'd rather not just replace parts for no reason.

Last thing: does anyone know the Honda part #. Noone seems to list these without crossreferencing to a different bike.
 
kmoney_imp said:
Just though I'd post this up to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Just rolled over 9400kms and the bike has what sounds like a bad front wheel bearing. It has the high pitched grinding noise that varies with speed and you can change the noise by changing the load -- I. E., increase it by using front brake, or pushing the front end hard into a corner.

This seems rediculous, given the low mileage of the bike and it's even weirder because I took the front wheel apart to take off the dust seals and repack the bearings and both of them feel fine. No abnormal wear on the spacers or axle either.

Just wondering if anyone had any alternative ideas as to the noise. It's not like it's hard or expensive to just change wheel bearings, but I'd rather not just replace parts for no reason.

Last thing: does anyone know the Honda part #. Noone seems to list these without crossreferencing to a different bike.
I'd be inclined to look at your tyre (oops sorry, tire) tread. If the edges of the grooves have picked up and have small lips on them, I'd say that is the cause of your noise. And sorry can't help with your part number query
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Knoney,

Here is a link to an online parts fiche. It goes right to a '14 Non ABS wheel assem. see item 16. http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bf6f870021404ec5a3c/front-wheel


Or go here, pick your year, then bike and find your part. http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/c/honda_motorcycle/parts
Thanks for this Popgun. Thanks to the others for the suggestions about tire noise -- didn't think about that. I guess I will just ride it and monitor it, as it doesn't seem to be getting worse.
 
I you may be onto something with the suggestion of the tire.
I had a similar rotational, rumbling sound from the front end on my other Honda - and the bike had only 28,000 km's on it at the time.
I fitted a set of new tires and the noise went away.
Of course it could also be a bearing (I doubt it), but Honda doesn't cheap-out on such things and they usually last a very long time.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
I you may be onto something with the suggestion of the tire.
I had a similar rotational, rumbling sound from the front end on my other Honda - and the bike had only 28,000 km's on it at the time.
I fitted a set of new tires and the noise went away.
Of course it could also be a bearing (I doubt it), but Honda doesn't cheap-out on such things and they usually last a very long time.
Yeah, that's a big part of why I love Hondas, and what made me think it must be elsewhere. The CB has NTN wheel bearings in it, which I can't see being duds, or not lasting 50K+ kms.

I hate cheap bearings; I worked in a transmission and driveline shop putting myself through university and I remember redoing all the warranty repairs we used to get off differential and MT jobs using Chinese bearings.
 
Back
Top