What's your favorite visual feature of the CB?

Ghis_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I actually have two . To me they are quintessential to the CB. The tail light (that many hate), and the awesome green faces of the speedo & tach. As I keep looking at my bike I often wonder what clues, and nods to the past I'm missing or am unaware off. So I thought I'd ask what visual feature really does it for you on this bike.
 
Man, that's a tough one.

I'd say more or less the whole package (and to my credit I've been fairly consistent with that message, LOL). I really like the fact that while Honda gave some design nods to the CBs heritage, the CB1100 stands alone as its own design.

But to answer the question once I get done admiring the beautiful shade of the candy red that graces the gas tank, the visual feature that I probably dig the most are the black cast wheels with the polished rims. Good stuff!

Honorable mention that I still get a kick out of: "HONDA" stenciled on the back of the seat, old school cool.
 
Guth...you REALLY gotta check out my bike in person one of these days....lol.
 
Ghis,

I like 95% of the CB11. I think the 2013's two tone engine and wheels, blood red square shouldered tank, bright aluminum fork legs, and contrasting colors are much more attractive than the blacked out 14 which hides so much of the bikes detail. I really didn't like the big taillight and got rid of it asap. Love the vintage chrome fenders. My favorite view of the CB11 is from the rear as the big wide air cooled engine protrudes beyond the gas tank. It looks very muscular. Beautiful from any angle.

Chip
 
Tough question. I like the view from the front right hand side of the 4 pipes curving down to the muffler.
 
Have to agree with George. The original CB400 had this same graceful sweep of the headers into the single muffler. The view over the analog meters is special also.
 
When I get too feeble to manage the weight of the CB1100, I'll give serious thought to downgrading to the CB400. Lovely things.

Here's a picture of an older one I saw over the weekend.

 
For me the most striking feature is the one that immediately drew peoples eyes in 1968 at the Tokyo motor show..... those 4 gleaming chrome cascading waterfall pipes on the DLX. Nothing said 4 cyl like those 4 pipes.

 
My favorite feature is the bike itself, especially the 13 and 14 standard, there are so many ways that you can make this bike your own with many mods/farkles and outright customizations and it will always remain timeless, If only the DLX had spoke wheels and that would be as ferret would say perfection....depending on 2016, I do see a good used Dlx sitting in my garage right next to my 13 supersport version in the next couple of years...
 
The fuel tank. Like the GB500, it is one of the finest tanks ever put on a motorbike. Particularly the 2013 red.
 
I'd agree with Capo that it's the tank. Classic look with the circular tank badge. If I had to add one more to the list, I'd go with the gauges. Classic dials rule!
 
The front end assembly. The whole thing looks meaty and tough. The engine is a beauty. Mine is black and i polish it often. I have always liked the seat.
 
What a tough question! Every time I look at the darn thing I fall in love all over again. I am trying to think back to when I first got it, and if I *had* to pick one thing I think it would be the air cooled engine with the four downpipes coming out the front, but then the green dials, the drop dead gorgeous '13 red tank, the gleaming chrome fenders, the awesome old school taillight, two-tone mags, the overall café racer proportions...what a glorious machine!!! It reminds me of everything I dreamed about motorcycles when I was a little kid.

After owning more than 30 bikes of all brands over the years, some with $30K+ invested, I have come to the conclusion that the CB1100 represents to me the quintessential motorcycle design of all time. What's more, the type of riders it attracts-people like each of you-remind me of what motorcycling was like in the old days, over 40 years ago when I first started riding. I've been through the speed daemon squid crowd, the image conscious pirates, the dirt riders, and this is what I like best-real people who respect each other and love real motorcycles.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
The engine. What a work of art ;)
This. The engine with the four pipes cascading down is the essence of this bike. Put a water cooled engine with a big radiator out front and the bike immediately loses most of its appeal IMHO.
 
The engine the engine the 4 pipes the engine its all about the engine that is why it is a MOTORcycle.
drodg_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
For me the most striking feature is the one that immediately drew peoples eyes in 1968 at the Tokyo motor show..... those 4 gleaming chrome cascading waterfall pipes on the DLX. Nothing said 4 cyl like those 4 pipes.



Agreed!

I also love the gauges on the 14 Deluxe!

Agreed!

I also love the gauges on the 14 Deluxe!
Verging on poetic "gleaming chrome cascading waterfall pipes" Honda needs to call you and give you a quarter everytime they use that line!
 
View from the cockpit, while riding, which includes the Comet fairing.
can't seem to find a good picture of that from my collection....will have to take a few.
 
Back
Top