What's Under There?

Nappi185_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
On the left and right sides of the 2017 motor are two chrome caps per side about 1-1/2" in diameter. They appear to be caps/covers of some sort. What is under these?
 
Are you talking about the cam end covers? They all have those. They are called cap, cylinder head side

The black bikes might not be chrome, IDK, never paid attention to that.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Those caps are part of the rubber valve cover gasket (bonded together)- don't try to remove them.
Powerdubs, Thanks for the advice. I am embarrassed and ashamed to share the following (File this one under "Ask first, act second"): I saw a dippling in one of the right side caps and thought that I had somehow smacked the cap with my jacket or the battery tender cable. It looked like just a decorative cap, so I thought I would just pop it off and attempt to smooth out the dimples from the backside-WRONG! It looks like this cap is ("was" now :() spot welded/soldered to something that sits within a rubber gasket. When I went to pry it off, I broke the cap from the two spot welds. Yeah, I frigged up. Do you see any risk of me driving it to the dealer like this, or should I trailer it there? Is this going to be an expensive repair/replacement? :s:blush:
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well, you are going to get some oil leakage. I would guess a LOT if the cover isn't installed. They are going to have to remove the valve cover to install them properly as some sealant is involved and they will have to do all 4. The caps are cheap though.

Item 2: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2013/CB1100+AC/CYLINDER+HEAD+COVER/parts.html This is a '13 but you get the idea.
Thanks Popgun. The gasket and the part that was spot-welded to the cap are still in place where they belong since I had broken the spot welds when prying the cap off. I started the bike I see no oil leaking out, but am fearful about riding it the ten miles or so to the dealership. Since I have a trailer anyway, I may just play it safe and trailer it there. Thanks so much to all who have provided feedback and diagrams!
 
If there's no leaking you should be able to ride it. Those caps are there so that you can get a straight shot to the end of the cam shafts with a wrench to turn it, I believe.
 
Thread starter
postoak_imp said:
If there's no leaking you should be able to ride it. Those caps are there so that you can get a straight shot to the end of the cam shafts with a wrench to turn it, I believe.
Does the whole motor have to come out to replce the cap? Just trying to guesstimate the magnitude of the labor bill I should expect for this.
 
Nappi185_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
If there's no leaking you should be able to ride it. Those caps are there so that you can get a straight shot to the end of the cam shafts with a wrench to turn it, I believe.
Does the whole motor have to come out to replce the cap? Just trying to guesstimate the magnitude of the labor bill I should expect for this.
Does the whole motor have to come out to replce the cap? Just trying to guesstimate the magnitude of the labor bill I should expect for this.
No, you don't have to remove the engine. Take a look at this thread:

Valve Inspection.
 
Thread starter
postoak_imp said:
Nappi185_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
If there's no leaking you should be able to ride it. Those caps are there so that you can get a straight shot to the end of the cam shafts with a wrench to turn it, I believe.
Does the whole motor have to come out to replce the cap? Just trying to guesstimate the magnitude of the labor bill I should expect for this.
Does the whole motor have to come out to replce the cap? Just trying to guesstimate the magnitude of the labor bill I should expect for this.
No, you don't have to remove the engine. Take a look at this thread:

Valve Inspection.
Does the whole motor have to come out to replce the cap? Just trying to guesstimate the magnitude of the labor bill I should expect for this.
No, you don't have to remove the engine. Take a look at this thread:

Thanks!
Valve Inspection.
 
Back
Top