Gone in 60
Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been doing medical deliveries for about six months now. Everything we do is based on departure and arrival times as calculated by Waze. The delivery app uses Waze as the navigation and timing function, and the routing and arrival times are shared with our dispatcher and the pick-up and drop-off contacts live-time, so both know where I am and when I'll arrive. When I get an assignment, it shows me my calculated departure time to arrive at the scheduled pick-up location exactly at my pick-up time. When I arrive, I need to tap a button on my phone at the exact pick-up time to start a clock to calculate wait time. If I sit in a hospital waiting room for 90 minutes waiting for my package, we bill 90 minutes of wait time. There's a scheduled drop-off time, but that's a variable based on when I receive the package and get on the road.
So, every run is basically hitting a targeted arrival time, my ETA is constantly in view as I'm riding, and I've noticed something interesting. Speeding doesn't really buy any time. My average distance from home to pick-up is around 35 miles, and can be up to 60 miles. There have been times where I've gotten on the road a minute or two after my scheduled departure time for whatever reason, and have needed to make up time on the ride. I've never been able to pick up more than one or two minutes, no matter how fast I ride. Let's say I have a 60 mile ride and cruise at 70 - 75 mph. My arrival time stays steady and I don't pick up or lose any time. If I need to "buy" a minute or two, I can go 80-85 over the same distance, but can only gain one or two minutes. I haven't been able to shorten my arrival time by any more than that.
It's been hard to program myself to realize that going faster doesn't really provide any significant benefit.
So, every run is basically hitting a targeted arrival time, my ETA is constantly in view as I'm riding, and I've noticed something interesting. Speeding doesn't really buy any time. My average distance from home to pick-up is around 35 miles, and can be up to 60 miles. There have been times where I've gotten on the road a minute or two after my scheduled departure time for whatever reason, and have needed to make up time on the ride. I've never been able to pick up more than one or two minutes, no matter how fast I ride. Let's say I have a 60 mile ride and cruise at 70 - 75 mph. My arrival time stays steady and I don't pick up or lose any time. If I need to "buy" a minute or two, I can go 80-85 over the same distance, but can only gain one or two minutes. I haven't been able to shorten my arrival time by any more than that.
It's been hard to program myself to realize that going faster doesn't really provide any significant benefit.