Whats it worth

Chris Goldson_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Good afternoon

Reluctantly thinking of selling my CB1100 but not sure of its value.

Beautiful bike finished in red with just 1200 miles from new. Mint condition - looks like new - and never seen a cloudy sky let alone rain.

Getting too close to 70 for comfort and it is a big heavy bike to manoeuvre in the limited space I have otherwise would not dream of selling.

Any thoughts of value appreciated, no idea what I would replace it with though !!


Best wishes


Chris
 
Hi Chris, I’m uncertain of the used bike values in your area, but I think a starting price of $6000 - $6500 or so would be reasonable. I am assuming you have a first-year, 2013, non-ABS model.
 
year, model?

could be
2013 ABS
2013 Non ABS
14 Dlx
17

all were red
 
Chris, if your main reason to sell it is maneuvering in the garage or tight space, maybe consider one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. They are really well designed and sturdy. I've had one for more than 10 years. Just $80 (before the normal 20% off coupon).
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Chris, if your main reason to sell it is maneuvering in the garage or tight space, maybe consider one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. They are really well designed and sturdy. I've had one for more than 10 years. Just $80 (before the normal 20% off coupon).
Wow, I wish I knew this existed earlier. If I want my car and the CB in the garage, it takes me about ten minutes and a 9-point turn to fit the bike in there just right. It's the one time I really wish the bike were about ~100lbs lighter.
 
Thread starter
Sorry its a 2015

The ferret_imp said:
year, model?

could be
2013 ABS
2013 Non ABS
14 Dlx
17

all were red
Thats brilliant - many thanks will have a look

pekingduck_imp said:
Chris, if your main reason to sell it is maneuvering in the garage or tight space, maybe consider one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. They are really well designed and sturdy. I've had one for more than 10 years. Just $80 (before the normal 20% off coupon).
That should be 2015 !!

pekingduck_imp said:

Doh, was thinking Lincoln Nebraska!

Same thing, more money, Amazon UK.
[url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiltec-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Parking-Garage/dp/B01N4G2K5J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+dolly&qid=1598376056&sr=8-1]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiltec-Motorbik...056&sr=8-1 Thanks all for quick replies very much appreciated

; Thats brilliant - many thanks will have a look

pekingduck_imp said:
That should be 2015 !!

pekingduck_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
Chris is from Lincoln in the UK. [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/posts/860951/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9626&pid=151882#pid151882
pekingduck_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
Doh, was thinking Lincoln Nebraska!

Same thing, more money, Amazon UK.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiltec-Motorbik...056&sr=8-1

Doh, was thinking Lincoln Nebraska!

Same thing, more money, Amazon UK.
[url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiltec-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Parking-Garage/dp/B01N4G2K5J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+dolly&qid=1598376056&sr=8-1]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiltec-Motorbik...056&sr=8-1 Just from a safety point of view is there a method of locking the bike in position so you don't simply push it off the prop stand or is it a case of grabbing the front brake during manoeuvres?

Best wishes


Chris
 
Whoops, I made two mistakes in one short post! I’ll blame it my age, after all I’m older than the Ferret!
 
[/QUOTE]
Just from a safety point of view is there a method of locking the bike in position so you don't simply push it off the prop stand or is it a case of grabbing the front brake during manoeuvres?

Best wishes


Chris
[/QUOTE]

The sidestand leg portion is adjustable fore-and-aft. So with the front wheel as far forward as it will go, you position the sidestand leg very close to the back side of the deployed sidestand. That way, when you roll in, put the sidestand down, then tilt it to the left, it is definitely locked in place. It can't shift around until the bike is set upright. It becomes very secure, more so than if it were on the garage floor.
 
Thread starter
Many thanks once again


Just from a safety point of view is there a method of locking the bike in position so you don't simply push it off the prop stand or is it a case of grabbing the front brake during manoeuvres?

Best wishes


Chris
[/QUOTE]

The sidestand leg portion is adjustable fore-and-aft. So with the front wheel as far forward as it will go, you position the sidestand leg very close to the back side of the deployed sidestand. That way, when you roll in, put the sidestand down, then tilt it to the left, it is definitely locked in place. It can't shift around until the bike is set upright. It becomes very secure, more so than if it were on the garage floor.
[/QUOTE]
 
I keep an eye on prices on Auto Trader. You can now get a new CB1100 EX or RS for around £9,000. I would have thought yours would be c£5,500, given its low mileage.

Obviously, it depends how much you want to sell it. You might have to be a bit lower to move it.

Beerman
 
Thread starter
Also been looking at the ones that fit under the centre stand but cant find any listed to fit the CB. Has anyone used one of these and f so what fits the CB please.


Best wishes



Chris
Many thanks

Beerman_imp said:
I keep an eye on prices on Auto Trader. You can now get a new CB1100 EX or RS for around £9,000. I would have thought yours would be c£5,500, given its low mileage.

Obviously, it depends how much you want to sell it. You might have to be a bit lower to move it.

Beerman
 
Chris Goldson_imp said:
Many thanks once again


Just from a safety point of view is there a method of locking the bike in position so you don't simply push it off the prop stand or is it a case of grabbing the front brake during manoeuvres?

Best wishes


Chris

The sidestand leg portion is adjustable fore-and-aft. So with the front wheel as far forward as it will go, you position the sidestand leg very close to the back side of the deployed sidestand. That way, when you roll in, put the sidestand down, then tilt it to the left, it is definitely locked in place. It can't shift around until the bike is set upright. It becomes very secure, more so than if it were on the garage floor.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE] Just from a safety point of view is there a method of locking the bike in position so you don't simply push it off the prop stand or is it a case of grabbing the front brake during manoeuvres?

Best wishes


Chris
The sidestand leg portion is adjustable fore-and-aft. So with the front wheel as far forward as it will go, you position the sidestand leg very close to the back side of the deployed sidestand. That way, when you roll in, put the sidestand down, then tilt it to the left, it is definitely locked in place. It can't shift around until the bike is set upright. It becomes very secure, more so than if it were on the garage floor.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Chris, if you are looking at the picture of the bike on the WilTec stand, be advised that the bike there is photo-shopped in. Normally the front wheel goes all the way forward to the silver crossbar. The WilTec is much more adjustable than the US one, so you can slide the sidestand portion fore-aft before tightening it permanently.

By adjusting the sidestand portion as described, it really locks it in place. The bike can't go forward as the front tire is up against the forward stop. And because you've adjusted the side stand leg to be as far forward as possible, up against the back of the extended sidestand, it can't go backwards.

As an alternative, an appropriate-sized block of wood aft of the sidestand would also lock it in. I used to have my top-heavy 600 pound Moto Guzzi Breva 1200 Sport on it, and it had a slim, forged aluminum sidestand that I never trusted.

The second pic shows how a bike should fit. Because it is the American one, it doesn't have as much adjustability, and you can see where a little block of wood should go, for greater security. If your concern is that the front wheel will roll over the bar, it certainly won't by pushing it.

 
motoWest_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Chris, if your main reason to sell it is maneuvering in the garage or tight space, maybe consider one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. They are really well designed and sturdy. I've had one for more than 10 years. Just $80 (before the normal 20% off coupon).
Wow, I wish I knew this existed earlier. If I want my car and the CB in the garage, it takes me about ten minutes and a 9-point turn to fit the bike in there just right. It's the one time I really wish the bike were about ~100lbs lighter.
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 motorcycles, a truck, a car, and all my tools (2 roll-arounds, 2 work benches, and a radial arm saw) and a washer and dryer stuffed into my 2 car garage. I park my bikes on the center stand, and use brute force to slide them around every time I need to get one of them out, or the car or truck out. Takes me about 10 minutes to get a motorcycle out. One more thing - I use the bed of my pick-up for storage - unloading / loading it each time I drive the truck.
 
Dave_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Chris, if your main reason to sell it is maneuvering in the garage or tight space, maybe consider one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. They are really well designed and sturdy. I've had one for more than 10 years. Just $80 (before the normal 20% off coupon).
Wow, I wish I knew this existed earlier. If I want my car and the CB in the garage, it takes me about ten minutes and a 9-point turn to fit the bike in there just right. It's the one time I really wish the bike were about ~100lbs lighter.
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 motorcycles, a truck, a car, and all my tools (2 roll-arounds, 2 work benches, and a radial arm saw) and a washer and dryer stuffed into my 2 car garage. I park my bikes on the center stand, and use brute force to slide them around every time I need to get one of them out, or the car or truck out. Takes me about 10 minutes to get a motorcycle out. One more thing - I use the bed of my pick-up for storage - unloading / loading it each time I drive the truck.
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 motorcycles, a truck, a car, and all my tools (2 roll-arounds, 2 work benches, and a radial arm saw) and a washer and dryer stuffed into my 2 car garage. I park my bikes on the center stand, and use brute force to slide them around every time I need to get one of them out, or the car or truck out. Takes me about 10 minutes to get a motorcycle out. One more thing - I use the bed of my pick-up for storage - unloading / loading it each time I drive the truck.
Everyone seems to have the same amount of garage space - not quite enough. I use a bunch of centerstand dollies to make the most of the space. In one end of the workshop, my Bonnie blocks my CB1100, which blocks my lathe. But I can get to the lathe in seconds sliding them sideways.

While I'd love a huge garage, I know I'd eventually come back to the same problem, but with a fleet of dollies.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Chris, if your main reason to sell it is maneuvering in the garage or tight space, maybe consider one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies. They are really well designed and sturdy. I've had one for more than 10 years. Just $80 (before the normal 20% off coupon).
Wow, I wish I knew this existed earlier. If I want my car and the CB in the garage, it takes me about ten minutes and a 9-point turn to fit the bike in there just right. It's the one time I really wish the bike were about ~100lbs lighter.
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 motorcycles, a truck, a car, and all my tools (2 roll-arounds, 2 work benches, and a radial arm saw) and a washer and dryer stuffed into my 2 car garage. I park my bikes on the center stand, and use brute force to slide them around every time I need to get one of them out, or the car or truck out. Takes me about 10 minutes to get a motorcycle out. One more thing - I use the bed of my pick-up for storage - unloading / loading it each time I drive the truck.
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 motorcycles, a truck, a car, and all my tools (2 roll-arounds, 2 work benches, and a radial arm saw) and a washer and dryer stuffed into my 2 car garage. I park my bikes on the center stand, and use brute force to slide them around every time I need to get one of them out, or the car or truck out. Takes me about 10 minutes to get a motorcycle out. One more thing - I use the bed of my pick-up for storage - unloading / loading it each time I drive the truck.
Everyone seems to have the same amount of garage space - not quite enough. I use a bunch of centerstand dollies to make the most of the space. In one end of the workshop, my Bonnie blocks my CB1100, which blocks my lathe. But I can get to the lathe in seconds sliding them sideways.

While I'd love a huge garage, I know I'd eventually come back to the same problem, but with a fleet of dollies.
If that quote doesn't exist on a t-shirt, it should.

As my wife and I sometimes ponder the possibility of owning a single story home down the road (the 1920's bungalow we now reside has two floors plus a basement), I dream of a larger, nicer garage. Fun to think about, not likely to happen any time soon.
 
Lol I have 3 motorcycles, a quad with snow plow, a work bench and a shelving unit in my half of our two car garage. My truck sits outside. Getting anything out of the garage means a lot of shuffling, but the two bikes I ride most are parked side by side right by the garage door for easy access.
 
About 7 years ago, we decided to build a house that more appropriately reflected our lifestyle. House square footage shrunk by 40%. Garage square footage tripled. Had 4 bikes at the time so you know, priorities.

Related, the concept of "expand to meet capacity" is real.
 
Back
Top