what you see behind the wiper

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Dear experienced CB owner with a pretty wiper in the oil check window ... I guess you know what I mean. Could one of you please try and explain the following observations :

- oil & filter change, carefully filled up, but after test ride I notice that there is a little too much oil in the engine,
- on the main stand, oil level is a tenth of an inch above the upper level line, still a little air visible in the window,
- an hour later I open the oil filter a little, a little oil runs out ( as expected ) and I screw the filter back on,
- next I check the window, and guess what, the whole window is filled with oil, no air bubble visible no more,
- next I run the engine for a minute, wait 5 minutes, to check the window again: level is right at the upper mark.

I am not a firm believer in daemons or wizards, and the final result is just what I wanted. BUT: how can the level go up in between ? The bike wasn't moved one inch during the procedure.
 
LOL trying to get/keep oil on the upper line in the window will drive you crazy. You will learn to do what a lot of us do. Put on a new filter, pour in a gallon of oil. Forget the window. Repeat in 4,000 miles. 69,000 miles on mine and it's not been an issue yet.
 
I spend more time looking for the tiny screwdriver I have set aside for wiper duty than I do actually checking the oil. Now I just glance at the floor of my garage and quickly into the oil window and if there's none on the floor and some in the window, I ride. I change the oil every 3k or so -- by that I mean that I have people that change the oil every 3k or so (the cost of which is included in the service contract with said people).
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Dear experienced CB owner with a pretty wiper in the oil check window ... I guess you know what I mean. Could one of you please try and explain the following observations :

- oil & filter change, carefully filled up, but after test ride I notice that there is a little too much oil in the engine,
- on the main stand, oil level is a tenth of an inch above the upper level line, still a little air visible in the window,
- an hour later I open the oil filter a little, a little oil runs out ( as expected ) and I screw the filter back on,
- next I check the window, and guess what, the whole window is filled with oil, no air bubble visible no more,
- next I run the engine for a minute, wait 5 minutes, to check the window again: level is right at the upper mark.

I am not a firm believer in daemons or wizards, and the final result is just what I wanted. BUT: how can the level go up in between ? The bike wasn't moved one inch during the procedure.
Yeah, but what time of the day was it? Earth rotation, gravity...it's a well-known fact.

EDIT: you also might consider changing that wiper blade. They tend to deteriorate with sun exposure.
 
Hi Gecko. I have had similar issues when reading the oil level on my bike, and I have discovered this bike is very sensitive when it comes to checking the oil level because it must be as close to level as possible. If you really want to be accurate, and you don't mind the extra work of going to the extreme, here are my instructions.

1. Park the bike on as level ground as possible, using the centerstand. Eye the bike up to insure the front to back level is as horizontal as possible (the rear wheel will be off the ground of course). For/aft level isn't as critical as side/side.
2. Open the seat, and lay a carpenter's level across the frame tubes from left to right. If the bike does not show perfectly level, from side to side, then shim beneath the centerstand as required to achieve a perfectly horizontal level.
3. Check your oil level.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but that's what it took for me to achieve an accurate, and repeatable oil level inspection. I would move my bike to various locations in the garage, and on the driveway, and the oil level would change. I didn't realize how sensitive this bike is being slightly off level. Other bikes I own are not this sensitive.

Please let me know how this works for you. Ok, the rest of you can stop laughing now, but I really did do this.
 
Dave_imp said:
Hi Gecko. I have had similar issues when reading the oil level on my bike, and I have discovered this bike is very sensitive when it comes to checking the oil level because it must be as close to level as possible. If you really want to be accurate, and you don't mind the extra work of going to the extreme, here are my instructions.

1. Park the bike on as level ground as possible, using the centerstand. Eye the bike up to insure the front to back level is as horizontal as possible (the rear wheel will be off the ground of course). For/aft level isn't as critical as side/side.
2. Open the seat, and lay a carpenter's level across the frame tubes from left to right. If the bike does not show perfectly level, from side to side, then shim beneath the centerstand as required to achieve a perfectly horizontal level.
3. Check your oil level.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but that's what it took for me to achieve an accurate, and repeatable oil level inspection. I would move my bike to various locations in the garage, and on the driveway, and the oil level would change. I didn't realize how sensitive this bike is being slightly off level. Other bikes I own are not this sensitive.

Please let me know how this works for you. Ok, the rest of you can stop laughing now, but I really did do this.
The CB1100 is one of those bikes that can be eyed up anytime for maximum enjoyment.
 
It drives me crazy also. I just try and measure the oil I've drained by putting it back in empty oil container and put back in the same or slightly greater amount, assuming some oil remains in my drain pan, funnel, hands, etc.
 
Dave_imp said:
Hi Gecko. I have had similar issues when reading the oil level on my bike, and I have discovered this bike is very sensitive when it comes to checking the oil level because it must be as close to level as possible. If you really want to be accurate, and you don't mind the extra work of going to the extreme, here are my instructions.

1. Park the bike on as level ground as possible, using the centerstand. Eye the bike up to insure the front to back level is as horizontal as possible (the rear wheel will be off the ground of course). For/aft level isn't as critical as side/side.
2. Open the seat, and lay a carpenter's level across the frame tubes from left to right. If the bike does not show perfectly level, from side to side, then shim beneath the centerstand as required to achieve a perfectly horizontal level.
3. Check your oil level.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but that's what it took for me to achieve an accurate, and repeatable oil level inspection. I would move my bike to various locations in the garage, and on the driveway, and the oil level would change. I didn't realize how sensitive this bike is being slightly off level. Other bikes I own are not this sensitive.

Please let me know how this works for you. Ok, the rest of you can stop laughing now, but I really did do this.

Not laughing Dave...I just know that with my mechanical luck, upon attempting to shim beneath the centerstand, my bike would tip over and fall on top of me!
 
I've a suspicion one can overthink this. If you can see an oil line in the sight glass when it is on the centre stand, you shouldn't have a problem. If you can't see a line, the trickle a little more oil in and test again. If it's over the top of the sight glass, let a little out and try again.
 
I recall far more often than not my CB1100 oil level sight glass was completed filled on any given random day, as well as on other days noticeably below the upper limit marker. (*yawn*)
 
Please don't let us keep you up, GO.
 
Funny. I’d prefer a dipstick.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
Hi Gecko. I have had similar issues when reading the oil level on my bike, and I have discovered this bike is very sensitive when it comes to checking the oil level because it must be as close to level as possible. If you really want to be accurate, and you don't mind the extra work of going to the extreme, here are my instructions.

1. Park the bike on as level ground as possible, using the centerstand. Eye the bike up to insure the front to back level is as horizontal as possible (the rear wheel will be off the ground of course). For/aft level isn't as critical as side/side.
2. Open the seat, and lay a carpenter's level across the frame tubes from left to right. If the bike does not show perfectly level, from side to side, then shim beneath the centerstand as required to achieve a perfectly horizontal level.
3. Check your oil level.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but that's what it took for me to achieve an accurate, and repeatable oil level inspection. I would move my bike to various locations in the garage, and on the driveway, and the oil level would change. I didn't realize how sensitive this bike is being slightly off level. Other bikes I own are not this sensitive.

Please let me know how this works for you. Ok, the rest of you can stop laughing now, but I really did do this.

Not laughing Dave...I just know that with my mechanical luck, upon attempting to shim beneath the centerstand, my bike would tip over and fall on top of me!

Not laughing Dave...I just know that with my mechanical luck, upon attempting to shim beneath the centerstand, my bike would tip over and fall on top of me!
Not laughing as I use a 5mm shim to get my bike level otherwise the oil level is over the top.

I had a similar problem with a XJR1300 and kept draining oil out weekly until I realised the oil was getting thinner and smelt like petrol. The petcock was faultly and one carb was leaking petrol into the crank. All carbs serviced and new petcock solved the problem. This can't happen on our bikes though.:dodgy:
 
Mixagon_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
Hi Gecko. I have had similar issues when reading the oil level on my bike, and I have discovered this bike is very sensitive when it comes to checking the oil level because it must be as close to level as possible. If you really want to be accurate, and you don't mind the extra work of going to the extreme, here are my instructions.

1. Park the bike on as level ground as possible, using the centerstand. Eye the bike up to insure the front to back level is as horizontal as possible (the rear wheel will be off the ground of course). For/aft level isn't as critical as side/side.
2. Open the seat, and lay a carpenter's level across the frame tubes from left to right. If the bike does not show perfectly level, from side to side, then shim beneath the centerstand as required to achieve a perfectly horizontal level.
3. Check your oil level.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but that's what it took for me to achieve an accurate, and repeatable oil level inspection. I would move my bike to various locations in the garage, and on the driveway, and the oil level would change. I didn't realize how sensitive this bike is being slightly off level. Other bikes I own are not this sensitive.

Please let me know how this works for you. Ok, the rest of you can stop laughing now, but I really did do this.

Not laughing Dave...I just know that with my mechanical luck, upon attempting to shim beneath the centerstand, my bike would tip over and fall on top of me!

Not laughing Dave...I just know that with my mechanical luck, upon attempting to shim beneath the centerstand, my bike would tip over and fall on top of me!
Not laughing as I use a 5mm shim to get my bike level otherwise the oil level is over the top.

I had a similar problem with a XJR1300 and kept draining oil out weekly until I realised the oil was getting thinner and smelt like petrol. The petcock was faultly and one carb was leaking petrol into the crank. All carbs serviced and new petcock solved the problem. This can't happen on our bikes though.:dodgy:
(yikes!)

That would be a nightmare. Great you caught it.
 
Thread starter
Gosh, I had no idea what kinda avalanche my observation might trigger. I think we should declare first of April the CB1100 oil change day, and further agree on a time (UTC) when to start filling new oil in in sync around the globe.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Gosh, I had no idea what kinda avalanche my observation might trigger. I think we should declare first of April the CB1100 oil change day, and further agree on a time (UTC) when to start filling new oil in in sync around the globe.
Good idea :clap: I will be changing mine around that date anyway.
 
I'm scared to death to touch that little wiper. With my luck I would have that thing leaking like crazy right after turning it...... :s :D
 
Back
Top