What to do with an old helmet?

Haggard Rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
When I got reversed into and got to kiss the tarmac, my helmet got scratched sufficiently (the hit was a glancing blow behind the right ear) for the insurance company to payout for a new one.

So I presume I now throw/recycle the old one away or is there another accepted use for dead helmets?

 
Once upon a time in Canada (and possibly in the U.S. ... and maybe still), they use to collect damaged helmets for research study. But to the best of my knowledge, it stopped. So I was stuck with some old helmets. It is a shame because they are difficult to dispose responsibly.
 
Instead of throwing those old helmets away.....

I saw a couple go on a hike to Latrourell Falls in the Columbia Gorge where there's a waterfall about 60 feet high, about a 30 minute hike from the parking area. The young gal was gorgeous and was toting a full-faced, pink motorcycle helmet in hand. Strange, I thought, why not just lock to bike?...but maybe they didn't have a helmet lock?...but then the guy didn't have helmet in hand, so why would he leave his helmet but she was carrying hers? Well, maybe they were riding two up and his was locked to the bike, leaving no room for hers? Still, strange in that neither looked like they were dressed for riding...turns out, riders they were not.

I got to the falls before they did, and when the couple got there, they began taking pictures like many others. Then I notice the young lady put her mc helmet on! "What the heck?" I think to myself, as I watch her edge closer and closer to the fairly powerfall waterfall. With full face helmet on and visor down, she gets into the pool of water and then sits as best she can among the rocks where the waterfall is pouring down and over her...and then she looks straight up to see the cascading water come crashing down on her full face helmet!! She had to use both hands behind her helmet to support her neck, but it looked rather fun. Then her boyfriend begins taking photos of her with the water crashing down around her while she's looking up at the falls, water now splashing off her pink helmet visor and crazily fanning out sideways.

It was quite entertaining really.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Instead of throwing those old helmets away.....

I saw a couple go on a hike to Latrourell Falls in the Columbia Gorge where there's a waterfall about 60 feet high, about a 30 minute hike from the parking area. The young gal was gorgeous and was toting a full-faced, pink motorcycle helmet in hand. Strange, I thought, why not just lock to bike?...but maybe they didn't have a helmet lock?...but then the guy didn't have helmet in hand, so why would he leave his helmet but she was carrying hers? Well, maybe they were riding two up and his was locked to the bike, leaving no room for hers? Still, strange in that neither looked like they were dressed for riding...turns out, riders they were not.

I got to the falls before they did, and when the couple got there, they began taking pictures like many others. Then I notice the young lady put her mc helmet on! "What the heck?" I think to myself, as I watch her edge closer and closer to the fairly powerfall waterfall. With full face helmet on and visor down, she gets into the pool of water and then sits as best she can among the rocks where the waterfall is pouring down and over her...and then she looks straight up to see the cascading water come crashing down on her full face helmet!! She had to use both hands behind her helmet to support her neck, but it looked rather fun. Then her boyfriend begins taking photos of her with the water crashing down around her while she's looking up at the falls, water now splashing off her pink helmet visor and crazily fanning out sideways.

It was quite entertaining really.
And I thought this story was going to lead to a different ending.
 
I tried to find ways to recycle old helmets. in L.A. for a while, there was a group that would collect old helmet donations and ship them to third-world countries where they didn't have any, thinking old was better than nothing. They disappeared.
I took a few to the fire station around the corner from my house, thinking they might want them for training - removing helmets safely from downed riders. They weren't interested.

I ended up donating the ones that weren't damaged to goodwill, and cutting the straps off of the bad ones and tossing them in the dumpster.
 
I've always wondered whether the MSF folk who run the basic rider courses would be interested.
When I did the BRC, I had used one of the helmets they had in their trailer.
 
:thumbsup:

That's a great idea! The speeds are low and they really just need to protect someone from a fall to the pavement.
 
Helmet re-use was common thinking back in the 80's and 90's (and likely earlier). I suspect now many are concerned about lice, ticks (lime disease), bacterial infection, blood, ear wax, etc. that organizers no longer wanted to deal with all the hassle.
 
When I took my MSF BRC seven years ago, they had a rack of loaner helmets. I don't know if they still have it or not, but de-lousing spray (like used at bowling alleys) might do the trick for hygiene.
 
Back
Top