What sort of CB1100 rider are you?

How I ride is mostly determined by how well I'm doing, financially. My income goes up and down quite a bit, and when it's down I'm forced to limit my rides. During those times, I only use the bikes to commute to work, although I try to take the long way home, through some nice country roads. Days off still only mean shorter rides in the local foothills. When I'm feeling more flush, I tend to do three-to-five-hundred-mile-day rides, and frequent overnight trips up and down the coast. During those rides, I include as many racetrack roads as possible, to make up for all the freeway slogging those longer trips always require.

One irony of my riding time on the CB1100 is that while it is far and away the best low speeds/city bike I have ever ridden, due to its super-friendly powerplant, superb balance, perfect partial-throttle fueling, and easy take-up clutch, I try to avoid city riding on my CB because all that stop-and-go stuff brings out her dreaded brake squeal, which totally spoils the party for me. So, instead, whenever I'm on the CB I look to do rides that won't require much in the way of slow, gradual stops. She's fine with harder braking, so I enjoy her more during sport rides or mickey-style meandering strolls through the countryside that don't require frequent slow-downs for stop signs.
 
Not got to ride mine yet (not got to SEE it even!) but I used to be a reasonably fast rider but too scared of my own mortality to go daft. Some of the "lads" on the Isle of Man really scared me the way they were riding.

I tour, day ride, pop out for an hour or so - anything really, and my mood dictates how brisk the ride will be.
I don't think my riding will be any different on the CB.

I can't WAIT to get going on it! :)
 
My CB is my Sunday cruiser. It's my Harley proxy. It's perfect for a 200-300 mile ride in search of a good breakfast or burger. I ride it sedately but sportingly on the miles of twisty mountain roads I have at my doorstep, and rarely exceed 65 mph. I go out of my way to avoid freeways.
 
I fit the aggressive commuter description most often. Riding the bike to work helps me arrive in a good mood. At the end of the day, no matter how work went, I am thrilled to ride her home.

On weekends, she is my ride of choice when I don’t have the wife along. Whether in a group or solo, the CB is willing to handle any reasonable pace.
 
Commute when the roads aren't slick. I like getting in the HOV lane and motoring along at 75 mph. The Road Comet fairing and hand guards help with that.

I like taking my wife or or one of my kids for Saturday lunch rides. They like it, too.

There are some amazing canyons close to where I live. When I need a boost of adrenaline, I head for the canyons to learn how to shift my weight around, feather the front brake with just one finger, and hold a line through a corner. Best therapy ever!
 
I'd call myself a recreational rider going out on 40-50 miles rides on my SDO's & weekends. Mostly to clear the head. I prefer the less traveled roads.
 
I ride hard in the NC mountains when I can (10 mo old at the house so that is pretty much never anymore) and try to get out 2-3 times a year camping on the CB. Those two things usually coincide. If I have time on days off I will take short jaunts around town and perhaps escape to a couple good breweries in neighboring towns for a pint.
 
I'm just a rider. Don't think about what kind of rider.
I just do it. In the surroundings of my hometown. Once a year on a longer camping trip for 3 weeks out in Europe. This year I plan to ride to Ireland.

If I have to describe the way I ride, most of the time I ride is that the fuel consumption is okay, which means kind of low and every part of my bikes will last for a long time. I have to spend money for biking but like to not spend too much on it on my yearly nearly 20.000km. So I usually don't push the bikes hard, I prefer the smooth and easy going way and enjoy how each of the very different engines communicate this style. Also this way of riding has a very meditative feel in nature and landscapes, even sometimes in urban settings, which I also like. Riding a bike and my car too is a relaxing thing which mostly gives me energy instead of pulling it out of me.

Wisedrum
 
My riding career started in the dirt. I was a semi pro motocrosser in the late 70's and 80's. I've been riding street since the late 80's. I consider myself to be a skilled, safe, and smart rider. I always adjust my speed and style of riding to match the group and conditions. I have some riding buddies that enjoy chasing me through the backroad twisties in my area at a spirited pace. I ride to lunch with my wife on the back at a slow, smooth, causual pace. As others have said, l just love to ride for the pure enjoyment and fun.
 
I ride sedately, following the recommended shift points to achieve over 50 mpg fuel economy.

When touring, I take the first hour to get warmed up, and then I ride in a spirited manner until lunch time, then I just want to take a nap. Repeat in the afternoon.
 
If it is an afternoon ride, I like the county roads at 50 to 60 MPH. I do use the '14 Std. for rides to local rallies then I might be a bit more focused on an arrival time. I still prefer secondary roads to riding on the multi lane expressways with the CB. It just seems to be more in its element.
Jim
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I’m one of those guys who putts along country roads...40-50 mph is my desired speed, usually in 4th gear. I’m not much for touring, preferring a three or four hour day ride which usually involves a stop at the local diner or ice cream stand in the middle of nowhere.
I'm with Blockhead. I just mosey around my adopted home in western PA at slow speeds enjoying the scenery. Once in a while, I'll open it up in third, but that isn't all that often. I pretty much just cruise around and try to find hidden roads and forgotten towns.

Blockhead, let me know if you're ever looking for other CB riders! I feel lonely in the land of Harleys and Groms.
 
DHB_imp said:
I ride sedately, following the recommended shift points to achieve over 50 mpg fuel economy.

When touring, I take the first hour to get warmed up, and then I ride in a spirited manner until lunch time, then I just want to take a nap. Repeat in the afternoon.
Lol what are those..??
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
DHB_imp said:
I ride sedately, following the recommended shift points to achieve over 50 mpg fuel economy.

When touring, I take the first hour to get warmed up, and then I ride in a spirited manner until lunch time, then I just want to take a nap. Repeat in the afternoon.
Lol what are those..??
Lol what are those..??
Do you mean those published in the Honda Owner's Manual?
 
I'm flexible.....

I can ride slow just enjoying the scenery or I can ride maxing out RPM whenever possible.

I have no problems matching the pace of a group, be it slow or fast.

I do have to admit, there is nothing quite like a game of chase with the boys through some curves listening to that addictive sound of the exhaust.

But riding along a river, steam or ocean is also very calming and makes you wish that view would never end.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I'm flexible.....

I can ride slow just enjoying the scenery or I can ride maxing out RPM whenever possible.

I have no problems matching the pace of a group, be it slow or fast.

I do have to admit, there is nothing quite like a game of chase with the boys through some curves listening to that addictive sound of the exhaust.

But riding along a river, steam or ocean is also very calming and makes you wish that view would never end.
Agree 100% :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This is why I love cruising along our winding coastal roads; so calming and the smile never ends.
 
Rocky_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
I'm flexible.....

I can ride slow just enjoying the scenery or I can ride maxing out RPM whenever possible.

I have no problems matching the pace of a group, be it slow or fast.

I do have to admit, there is nothing quite like a game of chase with the boys through some curves listening to that addictive sound of the exhaust.

But riding along a river, steam or ocean is also very calming and makes you wish that view would never end.
Agree 100% :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This is why I love cruising along our winding coastal roads; so calming and the smile never ends.
Agree 100% :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This is why I love cruising along our winding coastal roads; so calming and the smile never ends.
:thumbsup: ... until some shmuck in a lowered, blacked-out Civic / Golf / Beamer starts to chomp on your tail in a no pass stretch :dodgy: . Maybe more often an issue in denser urban areas.

Country is bliss because the ride nicely soaks up the B-class roads.
 
I ride purely for pleasure during weekdays on quiet country roads with 80 KPH speed limits. On the remote and real curvy ones I may ride enthusiastically. On others near lakes and rivers I tend to cruise and take in the scenery.

Weather permitting my day rides start in the morning at 8AM and end at 5PM. I will usually cover more than 500 kilometers (300 miles) on a summer day.

At my age rest stops or meals are mandatory every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I tire and ride poorly if I don't. That is about all my butt can take anyway.
 
Be nice to be able to ride for as long as this, however, I have a number of daily domestic duties I need to do plus help my wife and the challenges she faces so 70 - 80 or so miles is it at the moment, a couple of times a week or so, but that's great. Gives me and the missus some individual 'me' time.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
I ride like a Jock, a Brain, a Criminal, and a Princess. Depending on which side of the bed I got up on.
LOL It's probably good that you left out a Basket Case, which is how I'd classify myself as of late. Life has been a mess and no riding or much of anything else has occurred as a result. Hopefully things are turning around and I can get back to "feeling like a kid" every time I swing a leg over the CB.

I don't typically ride with others so I have little idea how I'd classify my "riding style" but I shoot for remaining upright. So far so good. Like many others here I prefer to stick to the two lane backroads for riding pleasure. Sadly, most of the miles I've racked up on my CB have come via commuting. So it goes.
 
Back
Top