What rpm does your CB1100 live at?

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Obviously, I dont have one but I am curious and I know a lot of factors come into play. My CB750 is between 3k-5K rpm probably 85 percent of the time. My old 1200 Sportster lived between 2500-3500 rpm.

I know how and where you ride play into this a lot. Curious if some of you 1100 riders can comment on this.
 
I've posted up pics of my speedo and tach while riding many times.. 2500 to 3000 rpms is where mine almost always lives...that translates to 45 to 60 mph, the speed limits on the roads I like to ride. Running to the other side of Cinti tomorrow on the outer belt so it will spend some time at about 3250-3500 rpms, but that is rare air for me.

Old and slow
 
Mine also between 2500 to 3000. Although I can't tell you what it is while running down I-75 at 80 very smooth just never looked, I'll take a look see tomorrow.
 
My CB11 spends most of it's time around 3.5K to 4.5K. The CB750 lives between 4K and 5K.

The CB11 naturally runs about 750 rpm lower in top gear on the highway.

BTW, one thing I've noticed is that the CB750's engine is actually a bit smoother at highway revs than the CB11. I've suspected that for awhile, but last weekend I did about 75 highway miles on both bikes back to back and it was obvious. I found that interesting because the CB11 has bar end weights for vibe control, while the 750's bars are empty.

That being said, the CB11's vibes are nothing to complain about. Having come from a background of mostly medium twins, it's dead smooth by comparison.
 
Around 3000 to 3500 except on the motorway when it's around 4000. It's fine at all of them.
 
I have found my bike has a sweet spot between 4700-5000 on the highway. That is about 85-90 MPH which is not obtainable in most circumstance, I'll downshift into 4th and cruise there. 4000RPM's is not the sweet spot for my bike, there are vibs in the pegs, bars and tank there. There is a sweet spot around 3200 but you become slow moving and a danger to yourself on most major highways.

My GS1100 is much smother at highway speeds its happy and buzz free anywhere between 55-85.

Back road riding I'm usually in 3rd which is about 3500-5000 in case power is needed or sudden stops. I don't think I'm ever below 3000rpm's when i ride.

I do like lugging the bike once in a while in 5th at about 45-50 when i'm behind slow moving traffic, this is where the bike is the smoothest with still a bit of low end grunt.
 
I cruise back roads 98% of the time.
I usually keep the RPM's between 2500 and 3000
Of course may rev a little higher for a normal shift
and if feeling bored, will do an occasional 5K RPM or higher shift just to make me smile

In top gear, I will do whatever RPM my speed dictates for that road.
 
Mine comes alive at 6500 rpm.

I swapped out front and rear sprockets - 19T countershaft and 38T rear (OEM is 18/39) - and and doing 3100 rpm at 60mph, 3700 rpm at 70mph.

But I do back roads most of the time too. Bike still pulls strong under 2500 although it's going faster than with the stock setup.
 
Today I let it all hang out. Took it up to 3750 rpms ...that was 80 MPH or 15 mph over the local freeway speed limit. I was flyinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Today I let it all hang out. Took it up to 3750 rpms ...that was 80 MPH or 15 mph over the local freeway speed limit. I was flyinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn lol
I dunno what the worlds coming to. These young blokes think they're bullet-proof. :angel:

Cheers mate
 
I run between 2k and 3500, gave up the kid stuff long ago.........but I did get it up to 90mph once just to see what it would do.;)
 
2500/3500 depending on traffic and road conditions. Wind her up occasionally to 7000/8000 just to blow the tears out of my eyes.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Today I let it all hang out. Took it up to 3750 rpms ...that was 80 MPH or 15 mph over the local freeway speed limit. I was flyinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn lol
Don't make this forum think your so reserved just because your the moderator, Molly Brown just called from MY ROAD and she said the Ferett was in her words (a flash in the pan) she could hardly see you as you flashed byeeeeee.

I beautiful day for a ride mid 70, took a few hours off work and went for a very enjoyable ride. While at the hotdog stand a young fellow in his 20's was admiring my bike and said his dad restores Honda's. He took a pic of the CB to show his dad and I asked him to take a pic of me with my camera.

 
Lol I have no idea what that means Steve..I googled Molly Brown and all I got was a survivor of the Titanic.

For what it's worth, I would never attempt to run that fast on my road, I was on a long straight stretch of the interstate, and felt uncomfortable doing it there ( Ohio is loaded with Highway Patrol, Sheriffs and local Leos..it's a gauntlet out there) However in Utah, that would just be running the speed limit. Crazy. Feels so wickedly fast and highly illegal here, and it's perfectly normal out there.

Your bike looks good and purposeful. I need to modify my Street Shield Ex like you have done and get it on before winter gets here.
 

While at the hotdog stand a young fellow in his 20's was admiring my bike and said his dad restores Honda's. He took a pic of the CB to show his dad and I asked him to take a pic of me with my camera.

[/QUOTE]

CIP, I always thought you were 20 something years old based on your mods and fast-bike exploits!! You had us all fooled :-)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol I have no idea what that means Steve..I googled Molly Brown and all I got was a survivor of the Titanic.

For what it's worth, I would never attempt to run that fast on my road, I was on a long straight stretch of the interstate, and felt uncomfortable doing it there ( Ohio is loaded with Highway Patrol, Sheriffs and local Leos..it's a gauntlet out there) However in Utah, that would just be running the speed limit. Crazy. Feels so wickedly fast and highly illegal here, and it's perfectly normal out there.

Your bike looks good and purposeful. I need to modify my Street Shield Ex like you have done and get it on before winter gets here.
LOL it was a joke, but there could be a Molly Brown on my road for all i know.
Let me know if you need info on the shield or would like me to cut it down, be more than happy to do it for you
HikerToo_imp said:
While at the hotdog stand a young fellow in his 20's was admiring my bike and said his dad restores Honda's. He took a pic of the CB to show his dad and I asked him to take a pic of me with my camera.

CIP, I always thought you were 20 something years old based on your mods and fast-bike exploits!! You had us all fooled :-)
[/QUOTE]
While at the hotdog stand a young fellow in his 20's was admiring my bike and said his dad restores Honda's. He took a pic of the CB to show his dad and I asked him to take a pic of me with my camera.
CIP, I always thought you were 20 something years old based on your mods and fast-bike exploits!! You had us all fooled :-)
[/QUOTE]

I'm as old or older than the rest of us Hiker.
Edit: 57
 
Thanks.

Btw todays shenanigans netted my lowest mpg to date 52 mpg ... Open it up and it sucks it down lol
 
Back
Top