What RPM do you use in the twisties?

Novice_imp

Been there
Thread starter
In an effort to improve my riding skills (plenty of room for improvement for sure), I thought I would ask this. Since most of us are riding the same bike, it's easier to get an idea of the "best" RPM range to use as opposed to a mixed group. I find if I let the RPMs get too low, say below 2500, I can still lug the bike out of the turn using the torque, but get drivetrain lash at times (descending turns, but it may just be my throttle roll on error) , certainly not an optimal situation. On the other hand, I don't generally ride through them in the 5000 RPM range because, to me, it feels like the engine is just screaming. But this may be exactly where it should be. So what do you find is the "best" range?
 
I have the best results with 3500 to 4500 RPM. The key for me is to be smooth with the throttle and keep it around 4k. I agree that past 5000 the engine sounds like it's screaming, although I doubt it would hurt the engine running it between 5 and 7 for a short period. (At least I hope not.:angel:)

I find I have much more control with the 3500 to 4500 range. Also that allows for decent engine braking, which is helpful on descending turns.
 
I just cruised 90 - 95 MPH for at least 100 miles of a 400 mile ride yesterday. That's on a 2013 with the 5 speed, 5000 RPM was on the tach a lot during this 900 mile weekend. I wouldn't worry about it. This is a modern bike with a mellow 9.5 to 1 compression ration.
 
Yeah, I don't think those RPMs will hurt it, I routinely see 6k+ while passing, and just this past week I found the rev limiter twice...which by the way is not so good when passing on a two-lane:blush:
But in the corners the lower range around 4k seems to be the best, at least for me, and it has plenty of power at 4500 to exit a corner. I don't hit the twisties nearly as fast on the CB as I do on the FZ1 however:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
I agree, I don't think those RPMs will hurt it, just is it the best to use? 3500 to 4500 does seem to be a good range.
 
When riding in a spirited manner, I would generally enter the corner at ~4000 (usually after engine braking and pumping the fronts) and slowly roll-on from ~40% through the turn...straighten out and take her to redline!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The rev limiter is in place to keep the engine from spinning at RPMs that could actually hurt it. As far as the ideal RPM range goes, I'm sure that it is somewhat terrain-dependent, but in general I find that I'm pretty happy when the CB1100 is running anywhere between 3K and 5K RPMs. It will go lower or higher without much complaint, but in general the CB1100 seems pretty happy in this range.

Ah the CB1100, when it's happy so am I, and vice versa.
grover_imp said:
When riding in a spirited manner, I would generally enter the corner at ~4000 (usually after engine braking and pumping the fronts) and slowly roll-on from ~40% through the turn...straighten out and take her to redline!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what happens sometimes when I become mesmerized by the tone of the Staintune. Yet we're still happy, both me and the CB. :D
 
In actual twisties you'll be in second, sometimes third gear.
Rarely in first if at all. The engine will pull fine from low rpm's in both gears. On the straights you'll be in your higher gears.
Believe me, you won't be looking at your tachometer. You'll have to put 100% attention to where you're going.
Advice: don't overthink. You'll be in your own rythmn soon enough. Ride at your own pace and skill level regardless of what's going on around and especially behind you. If someone crowds you, don't let it get to you. Keep your pace and if they don't blow past, there will be spots where you can pull a little to the right and give them plenty of room to go by.
 
Some of you guys ride a lot more " spirited" than I. You try that 5000-redline cornering on the roads we have been riding the last couple of days and you and the mediflight copter pilot will become personal friends in a hurry
 
The advantages of keeping you RPM's up in the twisty's is engine braking on the CB. I would normally be in the 4000-7000 rpm range, but you need a controlled speed at which you are comfortable, if third is too fast drop to second. With engine braking you'll have less chance of going into a turn hot and getting into trouble and your throttle response is much better in this range. Stay off your brakes as much as possible ( but get in the habit of covering the front with two fingers) and let the motor do the work for you.
 
I find that I'm like most who have responded so far - somewhere between 3500 and 4500 with 4500 being a tad on the high side. Probably closer to 4K. Depending on the angle, I'm usually in 3rd gear and occasionally in 4th on some of the more open corners. Motogeezer gave some very good advice. There would be a lot fewer friendships developing between riders and medevac pilots (thanks for that one ferret) if more people followed his suggestions.
 
Keep in mind that much of this depends on just how much twist there is in the twisties. I'm not an aggressive rider and jaunts up to the redline only occur on occasion and when road begins to straighten out. My favorite twisty roads have a bit of a meandering nature to them.

Here's a video that I shot some time ago. This road is about as twisty as I care to get. As you can see, I approach these curves somewhat timidly as I don't tend to push things hard on a road like this. Sport bike riders would find my pace irritatingly slow. But I'm only riding for my own pleasure, not someone else's. This is where the torque characteristics of the CB1100's engine are so enjoyable.


 
In my opinion; you will get a feel for the rpm's as you gain experience; it's much more important to be in the right gear at any given speed so naturally as your skills improve your rpm's "may" increase in the twisty bits but it's much more important you know how to corner without closely inspecting the ditches and meeting cute x-ray techs.

I can't ever recall rpm's being part of the corning discourse; other than to keep them up so you don't stall out. Handling rpm's is very basic to riding, proper corning is a bit more complicated - especially if you want to take them faster (and faster is not always better). Read up an anything Keith Code has written on it (and there are some very good videos too). If you handle the corners "properly", rpm's will naturally take care of its' self.
Start here; highly recommended if you can't take his classes.
 
I was relating my earlier comments to examples like riding the Dragon, and the Cherohala and should have said so. Sorry :(
Like most, I consider the Dragon a good, twisty road. There's are a lot like it in the area. The Cherohala consists predominately of sweepers and gives a totally different experience. When ridden at a comfortable pace, both are great. I'm really looking forward to riding them with my new buds now that I'm here at the Rally ;)
 
I like to be at around 4k or 5k going around the turn. With that little bit of vibration you start to get, it reassures me that the engine is pulling as I am slightly rolling the throttle. At 3k or less it doesn't feel like it, though that may be my mind playing tricks on me.
 
Back
Top