What RPM do you ride at when cruising?

Nightengale_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm curious about how other CB1100 owners ride their bikes when cruising down the highway, or freeway.

It's two-lane country roads here, even our "highway" and I just never get to the freeway. I don't experiment with hard acceleration too often, and tend to keep the bike in the lower rpm's no matter what gear I'm in. But if I'm cruising at the posted speed (50), the bike is running around 3200 - 3400 rpm.

Some of the highways here are 55 or even 60, rpm will go up a little to accommodate that, but it's still under 4k.

What about you?

I'm also curious what the bike is like at much higher rpms - I've just never done it.
 
Pretty much the same as you. I really like the high gearing on the CB. I enjoy the fact its so relaxing and unstressed riding about. You can always hang on to 2nd or 3rd and rev out to overtake with more 'gusto'. And lets be honest riding an unfaired bike at higher speeds just isnt comfortable. I have had all sorts of unfaired bikes and none of them have been any different. Sure lower bars can help a bit but put a dress on a pig and its still a pig, in a dress! Buy a Goldwing for armchair comfort.
 
highways are here : 50ml or 80km limitet or just with the 6gear...gives something like round 2500 rpm....if i am right ..wehre is the problem ?
for 80% is the highest gear always enough powerful too for simple hills

for cruising i have a lot torque so i dont need rpms much rpms sucks only a lot gasol for nothing...

too at 30ml or 50km is the highest gear still enough...
 
Depends on the speed limits but mostly in the 5. , the highest gear between 80 and 120km/h with rpm around 3.000-4.000U/min. I've mounted a windshield but the CB and her rider feels most relaxed at these speeds. The gasmileage is pretty good there too.

Wisedrum
 
If I am cruising on old trunk road or twisties, normally my RPM doesn't exceed 3000. But if I am cruising on straight freeway, it varies between 3500-4000, depending on traffics. i tend to keep my RPM below half of the redline rpm. once a while will race it up till rev cut and return to slow cruising. But i somehow felt the CB micro vibrate more once you exceed 3000 rpm.
 
to me, cruising is highway, so 70 or you get run over. that's about 3500 and why I want the taller rear tire and eventually less teeth on rear sprocket. optimum cruise I would like would be 70 mph @ 3k rpm.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
If I am cruising on old trunk road or twisties, normally my RPM doesn't exceed 3000. But if I am cruising on straight freeway, it varies between 3500-4000, depending on traffics. i tend to keep my RPM below half of the redline rpm. once a while will race it up till rev cut and return to slow cruising. But i somehow felt the CB micro vibrate more once you exceed 3000 rpm.
(+1)
 
I'm also curious what the bike is like at much higher rpms - I've just never done it.

You should. She comes alive above five (new CB slogan?) The beauty of the bike is her MPD. She can be sedate and relaxing but rev her up a little a the liter mill will make some power and still hang on to some torque. Now don't get me wrong, she won't set you hair on fire, but she moves pretty darn good for a chunky girl.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm also curious what the bike is like at much higher rpms - I've just never done it.

You should. She comes alive above five (new CB slogan?) The beauty of the bike is her MPD. She can be sedate and relaxing but rev her up a little a the liter mill will make some power and still hang on to some torque. Now don't get me wrong, she won't set you hair on fire, but she moves pretty darn good for a chunky girl.
(+1) She'll help you out of a situation pretty easily, but do hang on.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Pretty much the same as you. I really like the high gearing on the CB. I enjoy the fact its so relaxing and unstressed riding about. You can always hang on to 2nd or 3rd and rev out to overtake with more 'gusto'. And lets be honest riding an unfaired bike at higher speeds just isnt comfortable. I have had all sorts of unfaired bikes and none of them have been any different. Sure lower bars can help a bit but put a dress on a pig and its still a pig, in a dress! Buy a Goldwing for armchair comfort.
I BEG YOUR PARDON!


Actually I call my bike Miss Piggy because of a nap she took on the sandy shoulder of a lonely road when I stopped to remove a bee from my jacket. I had a back killing time get her up right.

Most of the roads I enjoy are 80 KPH (50 MPH) curvy 2 lane rural highways. I find my EX is usually in the 3000 to 3500 RPM range when cruising. I seldom use 6th gear unless on a busy 4 lane highway.

I use fifth gear because sixth gear requires a lot of throttle up the hills, feels sluggish, and does not decelerate well approaching tight corners. I found the gas mileage no different in fifth.

When riding enthusiastically or passing I use the lower gears. I don't know what the rev range is because I am watching the road or the vehicle being passed. She is no light sport bike, but will haul if you climb the rev range.
 
With a 19 tooth front sprocket my '13 runs about 4k at 72 mph which is about flow of traffic on the freeway around here. The engine never seems tired or stressed, I am sure it would do it all day.
Grab a handful of throttle in 4th or 5th and somewhere around 4500 the afterburners kick in. Very handy for on ramps or avoiding merging traffic. I say "somewhere around" because I am paying attention to other things when that happens!

Ben
 
I have a 5 speed and I went up a tooth in the back and I weigh 270 and have side bags that add drag and weight so when I'm cruising at highway speeds my revs are pretty high I'm over 4k most of the time.
 
I use my CB as a city/local bike 'cause it's light and easy to handle, so the speed doesn't get much above 50 or 60 mph except for short freeway spurts, when it'll get to 75. For touring and longer rides, I take my BMW R1100RT. Here in the West, 80 MPH is the normal on freeways and even some highways if they're lightly traveled. At that speed, the Beemer is turning 4200 RPM, with no vibration, and no wind on me thanks to an electric windshield.
 
Nightengale_imp said:
I'm curious about how other CB1100 owners ride their bikes when cruising down the highway, or freeway.

It's two-lane country roads here, even our "highway" and I just never get to the freeway. I don't experiment with hard acceleration too often, and tend to keep the bike in the lower rpm's no matter what gear I'm in. But if I'm cruising at the posted speed (50), the bike is running around 3200 - 3400 rpm.

Some of the highways here are 55 or even 60, rpm will go up a little to accommodate that, but it's still under 4k.

What about you?

I'm also curious what the bike is like at much higher rpms - I've just never done it.
Give it a try. An interesting effect occurs right at 5K rpm. The handlebar buzz virtually disappears and the engine is much smoother.

I tend to cruise at higher rpms than most here on the forum. I like to be near that 5K rpm sweet spot for quick passes on back roads. Generally, I don't shift into 5th gear until 75 mph or so.
 
Good evening CBforum. I recently bought a 2013 CB as my first bike and have been thinking of highway rpm since I got the nerve to ride it. The bike had been down at some point and the previous owner put some cheap chinese bar ends to hide the damage which i thought was the issue with the buzzy feeling around 80. Would the forum recommend some factory bar ends or am i just being a weenie about the bikes rpm's? I keep getting the feeling that want to upshift.
 
Thread starter
I took the bike out again today and got in about 120 miles on two-lane. Posted speed was 50, so I was there or 10 over/under most of the way. Either 4th gear or 5th, never bothered with 6th. Paid closer attention to the rpm, and I was off - I'm cruising at 2800 or so most of the time. Pretty sedate.

It was a nice trip, got to see one of the mountain lakes in my area that I've never bothered to visit. The bar buzz was still there at my rpm's, usually don't hit 5k unless hard acceleration. I was riding on the stock seat, and at the half-way mark, I wanted off, so I'm probably going to do something about that.

d1d585be5fd382199435932ae9b5fa55.jpg
 
Nightengale_imp said:
I took the bike out again today and got in about 120 miles on two-lane. Posted speed was 50, so I was there or 10 over/under most of the way. Either 4th gear or 5th, never bothered with 6th. Paid closer attention to the rpm, and I was off - I'm cruising at 2800 or so most of the time. Pretty sedate.

It was a nice trip, got to see one of the mountain lakes in my area that I've never bothered to visit. The bar buzz was still there at my rpm's, usually don't hit 5k unless hard acceleration. I was riding on the stock seat, and at the half-way mark, I wanted off, so I'm probably going to do something about that.

d1d585be5fd382199435932ae9b5fa55.jpg
I have a 75 minute butt on any saddle, and Grip Puppies appear to tame the bar buzz at least in half.
 
Nightengale_imp said:
I'm curious about how other CB1100 owners ride their bikes when cruising down the highway, or freeway.

It's two-lane country roads here, even our "highway" and I just never get to the freeway. I don't experiment with hard acceleration too often, and tend to keep the bike in the lower rpm's no matter what gear I'm in. But if I'm cruising at the posted speed (50), the bike is running around 3200 - 3400 rpm.

Some of the highways here are 55 or even 60, rpm will go up a little to accommodate that, but it's still under 4k.

What about you?

I'm also curious what the bike is like at much higher rpms - I've just never done it.
I ride fast, usually 80mph+. I have a 2013 (5 speed) and usually tac somewhere between 4500 and 4700.
 
JohnRambo_imp said:
Good evening CBforum. I recently bought a 2013 CB as my first bike and have been thinking of highway rpm since I got the nerve to ride it. The bike had been down at some point and the previous owner put some cheap chinese bar ends to hide the damage which i thought was the issue with the buzzy feeling around 80. Would the forum recommend some factory bar ends or am i just being a weenie about the bikes rpm's? I keep getting the feeling that want to upshift.
'13s are buzzier than the other 6-speed models, just because the rev higher at highway speeds. i wouldn't say your'e being a "weenie" about the vibration, but since this is your first bike you probably have a little perspective to consider. The CB1100 is one of the smoother bikes you'll find on the market, highway or not. you should try my wife's S40. you can't even see out of the rearview mirrors for all the vibration at 70mph.

that said, you tailor a bike to your comfort level. a CB1100 is a platform. make it do the thing you want to do. get the biggest, fattest bar ends you can find and fill the bars with sand or something. add grip puppies and that vibe should be all but gone.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm also curious what the bike is like at much higher rpms - I've just never done it.

You should. She comes alive above five (new CB slogan?) The beauty of the bike is her MPD. She can be sedate and relaxing but rev her up a little a the liter mill will make some power and still hang on to some torque. Now don't get me wrong, she won't set you hair on fire, but she moves pretty darn good for a chunky girl.
"She moves pretty darn good for a chunky girl" ..... Now there's a slogan! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top