What other bikes did you look at before buying your CB1100?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
For a while, the Triumph Thruxton was at the top of my list. It was a cool looking "out of the box" cafe racer.

In keeping with my affinity for cafe styling, I also looked at the Ducati Sport 1000. I even looked at the Norton Commando ($$$).

Then I stumbled upon this cool looking retro bike from Honda. It had available ABS, 6 gears, 4-2 exhaust, and was just beautiful to look at. I envisioned it as the perfect canvas on which to build my dream cafe bike. To me, it was just begging to be "cafe'd out".

In the end, it was Honda's reputation for quality, the performance advantage over the Thrux, and the price point that made it an obvious choice for me.

The Ducati was very nice looking, but even used cost more than a CB and the seating position didn't seem ideal for longer rides - not to mention the frequent ($$$) valve adjustments those Ducs need!

The Commando is a gorgeous bike, but at $20k+, it was just more than I was willing to pay, and not nearly as practical as the CB1100.
 
A little bit like you Rebel....
After a while I got tired of looking at every Triumph "cafe'd" with British Customs stuff...
And the Honda is a much better product for almost same money.

I have no "RAGRETS", 'know what I am Sayin'...
 
buttaknife_imp said:
Looked very seriously at the kawasaki w800... Love the bike but the drum brake on the back ticked me off..
Yes that's cool too, but way underpowered ( I rode a used one).
A little bit like a "Ciao Piaggio" LOL :thumbsup:
 
I seriously looked at the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone and Special which are much cheaper than the CB1100 here in Canada.

These Guzzis have a great retro look, but at only 750cc's it is seriously underpowered compared to the CB1100. Also, it has nice Brembo brakes, but no ABS which was the real deal breaker for me.
 
Bonneville, but I wanted something with more power to ride plus I still have memories of the problems with my old British bikes.
 
Nothing. I was perfectly happy riding my Gen 1 FZ-1 and 750 Nighthawk until Honda said they were bringing the 1100 here.
 
V7; plenty of power but the bike was a bit small for my lanky frame.
Bonnevilles; test rode one: Meh. test rode another last year (private party), much better!

I ended up with a Griso after looking and deciding the CB was not coming here. About a year and a half after I got the Griso I pulled the trigger on the CB. Would not have gotten the Griso if the CB had been around. I also fully expected to sell the Griso once I brought home the CB, but they are so different and Griso does have that mighty 8V engine. sigh. I'm keeping her. More character than the CB mill.
 
The Bonneville (a bit small), used 2006 VFR 800 (a bit too much forward lean for me), new VFR 1200 (bit too ugly for me though it rode like a dream), BMV F800GT (right leg got too hot next to the radiator), BMW R1200 RT (too many electronic gizmos to go wrong), BMW RnineT (headlight too transformer-ish for my tastes), Ducati Monster (too modern for my taste), etc... there were tons.

The only ones that spoke to me was the VFR 800 and CB1100 : comfort and simplicity made me go with the CB1100 which I don't regret at all.
 
"More character than the CB mill. "

:rofl:

translated: It vibrates, has electrical problems, there are no dealers near me or anywhere I go, and there's a good chance it's going to break down on my next ride

j/k Rboe
 
Thread starter
Oh, yah, I looked at the Duc Monster, too. My friends were trying to talk me into one. While it's a cool looking naked bike, it just didn't speak to me like the CB.
 
I thought one time, that my dream motorcycle will be Suzuki Boulevard C50SE. But I couldn't deal with suzuki's ignorance, or how can I name it. Already Honda added disc brakes to latest Shadow, but Suzuki still adds drums to rear wheel. From 2016 in EU ABS will be mandatory for all new bikes, so I think that Suzuki will add disc brakes in that year. One day I went to Honda shop and I tried to sit on CB. It was very well known feeling from what I know from my youth when I owned Jawa 350/639 (On picture is not my bike, but model I owned)

b71d7ff8fc1259c98602a70f91e26d98.jpg


And when I read about CB, that it can ride at low rpm... Classic look, great engine, classic feeling,... I love this bike.
 
Three previous bikes. Actually two, the GS425 I bought at sixteen never ran. Dad was not fond of yard art so it went away.

In 1995 bought a '73 CB 750. Still have it, loved that thing. Taught myself how to ride and how to work on a bike. Too much of the later (22 year old electrics are a bad thing).

When I finally got tired of working on the 750 bought a V30 Magna. Nice little scoot, but too small for my big butt. Sold it in 2009 when the housing market here crashed.

Finally the stars lined up and I am making a little money and someone is finally build a bike I like. No Tupperware bike or Cruiser for me. Ok for others, but that classic UJM is the look for me. They say our tastes are set when we are young. In my case definitely true, Loud Rock and Roll and Classic Honda good looks for me (Beer and Boobs are good too).
 
xmike_imp said:
I thought one time, that my dream motorcycle will be Suzuki Boulevard C50SE. But I couldn't deal with suzuki's ignorance, or how can I name it. Already Honda added disc brakes to latest Shadow, but Suzuki still adds drums to rear wheel. From 2016 in EU ABS will be mandatory for all new bikes, so I think that Suzuki will add disc brakes in that year. One day I went to Honda shop and I tried to sit on CB. It was very well known feeling from what I know from my youth when I owned Jawa 350/639 (On picture is not my bike, but model I owned)

b71d7ff8fc1259c98602a70f91e26d98.jpg


And when I read about CB, that it can ride at low rpm... Classic look, great engine, classic feeling,... I love this bike.
I had a C50T for awhile. Cheap to own because it's cheaply made but it is a good cruiser to try the scene with because it does look good. The breaking and clutch are anemic, single disk front and drum rear, mechanical clutch that just doesn't cut it, 60k motor life, drive shaft splines that fail, and plastic chrome. It has been a money maker for Suzuki for a long time under the names of Intruder, Volusia, and C50, big and long with nice color schemes. I have my doubt they will ever upgrade to a rear disc or ABS. But if you want a cruiser clone that will work well for weekend rides, it's not a bad choice since they are inexpensive to purchase used.
 
The ferret_imp said:
"More character than the CB mill. "

:rofl:

translated: It vibrates, has electrical problems, there are no dealers near me or anywhere I go, and there's a good chance it's going to break down on my next ride

j/k Rboe
I might still get me a 'Goose' one of these days. A decade ago I was seriously thinking of a new LeMans. I monitored various discussion groups and ultimately decided NOT to get one after I read about some LeMans-es having trouble because someone at the factory thought it would be a GREAT idea to paint the insides of the engine cases as well as the outside.. when the paint started flaking and got introduced into the engine oil, well..... uh oh...

I love that they still do it (or back then at least 'still did it') the old fashioned way with real craftsmen.. but sometimes there's a good reason for strict procedure to be followed during manufacture, something that a robot is less likely to mess around with :-)
 
Thread starter
gossman_imp said:
xmike_imp said:
I thought one time, that my dream motorcycle will be Suzuki Boulevard C50SE. But I couldn't deal with suzuki's ignorance, or how can I name it. Already Honda added disc brakes to latest Shadow, but Suzuki still adds drums to rear wheel. From 2016 in EU ABS will be mandatory for all new bikes, so I think that Suzuki will add disc brakes in that year. One day I went to Honda shop and I tried to sit on CB. It was very well known feeling from what I know from my youth when I owned Jawa 350/639 (On picture is not my bike, but model I owned)

b71d7ff8fc1259c98602a70f91e26d98.jpg


And when I read about CB, that it can ride at low rpm... Classic look, great engine, classic feeling,... I love this bike.
I had a C50T for awhile. Cheap to own because it's cheaply made but it is a good cruiser to try the scene with because it does look good. The breaking and clutch are anemic, single disk front and drum rear, mechanical clutch that just doesn't cut it, 60k motor life, drive shaft splines that fail, and plastic chrome. It has been a money maker for Suzuki for a long time under the names of Intruder, Volusia, and C50, big and long with nice color schemes. I have my doubt they will ever upgrade to a rear disc or ABS. But if you want a cruiser clone that will work well for weekend rides, it's not a bad choice since they are inexpensive to purchase used.
It has been a money maker for Suzuki for a long time under the names of Intruder, Volusia, and C50, big and long with nice color schemes. Funny you should mention the Intruder. I have a '93 that will be going up for sale soon. :D
 
I had contemplated the VFR1200, the Ducati Diavel, or the CB1000 as possible replacements for my CBR250r, but had settled in on the idea of keeping it for a few more years and proving to my friends that an old fat guy on a thumper can still have fun and even tour a bit. Then the CB1100 rolled into the picture and it was, and is, the perfect bike for me. Small enough, fast enough, big enough, sane enough. I definitely made the choice that was right for me.
 
It was love at first site. :heart:
 
Ducati Monster, and Diavel, Guzzi, Bonnieville, BMW various, FZ09, and lots of others. I'm always looking for the bike I can't say no to coming home with.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top