What motorcycle would you buy next?

Tev62_imp said:
My wife, who is not into bikes at all, has decided she would like to join me in a European Tour next year so my plans for downsizing went on hold. I stuck a deposit down on a 2023 BMW R1250GS and my faithful five year old Tiger 1200 has gone. It was getting a little heavy for me but change to the GS and a switch from Aluminium Luggage to plastic will shed 50Kg (110lbs) and retain a pillion capability. I know a R1300GS is imminent, maybe 6-12 months but I decided to move, there will always be a newer bike around the corner.

Never owned a BMW, its price was somewhat eye watering but I got a better than expected trade-in on the Triumph which took the sting out of the cost to change. Has the Pandemic limited the supply of 2nd hand bikes giving prices a lift? I'll pick it up in January with a new registration. I'll do my best to look down on everyone and never wave at another motorcyclist again.

The Rally seat while looking very nice will be replaced with a traditional two piece unit to suit two up riding.
:rofl:

That is awesome Tev.


 
Tev62_imp said:
My wife, who is not into bikes at all, has decided she would like to join me in a European Tour next year so my plans for downsizing went on hold. I stuck a deposit down on a 2023 BMW R1250GS and my faithful five year old Tiger 1200 has gone. It was getting a little heavy for me but change to the GS and a switch from Aluminium Luggage to plastic will shed 50Kg (110lbs) and retain a pillion capability. I know a R1300GS is imminent, maybe 6-12 months but I decided to move, there will always be a newer bike around the corner.

Never owned a BMW, its price was somewhat eye watering but I got a better than expected trade-in on the Triumph which took the sting out of the cost to change. Has the Pandemic limited the supply of 2nd hand bikes giving prices a lift? I'll pick it up in January with a new registration. I'll do my best to look down on everyone and never wave at another motorcyclist again.

The Rally seat while looking very nice will be replaced with a traditional two piece unit to suit two up riding.
The bike is just the start. Think of all the new gear you'll have to buy for you and your wife, 2 Schuberth Helmets, two Aerostitch or Klim Outfits, 2 pair of Dainese boots, couple pair of Dainese motorcycle gloves and of course 2 cups of Starbucks coffee every morning.

Seriously Congrats Tev
 
Tev, it sounds wonderful. I'll say a little prayer for your bank account. Don't forget the new video and camera equipment to help document the scenery and adventures. My wife also does not ride and has never shown any interest in getting close to a motorcycle, so I am hoping this is not a new pandemic.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
My wife, who is not into bikes at all, has decided she would like to join me in a European Tour next year so my plans for downsizing went on hold. I stuck a deposit down on a 2023 BMW R1250GS and my faithful five year old Tiger 1200 has gone. It was getting a little heavy for me but change to the GS and a switch from Aluminium Luggage to plastic will shed 50Kg (110lbs) and retain a pillion capability. I know a R1300GS is imminent, maybe 6-12 months but I decided to move, there will always be a newer bike around the corner.

Never owned a BMW, its price was somewhat eye watering but I got a better than expected trade-in on the Triumph which took the sting out of the cost to change. Has the Pandemic limited the supply of 2nd hand bikes giving prices a lift? I'll pick it up in January with a new registration. I'll do my best to look down on everyone and never wave at another motorcyclist again.

The Rally seat while looking very nice will be replaced with a traditional two piece unit to suit two up riding.
The bike is just the start. Think of all the new gear you'll have to buy for you and your wife, 2 Schuberth Helmets, two Aerostitch or Klim Outfits, 2 pair of Dainese boots, couple pair of Dainese motorcycle gloves and of course 2 cups of Starbucks coffee every morning.

Seriously Congrats Tev
The bike is just the start. Think of all the new gear you'll have to buy for you and your wife, 2 Schuberth Helmets, two Aerostitch or Klim Outfits, 2 pair of Dainese boots, couple pair of Dainese motorcycle gloves and of course 2 cups of Starbucks coffee every morning

Seriously Congrats Tev
Ferret, you really push Tev into the arms of the loan officer..:P
 
Thanks all for the comments, yes, looking forward to it now. The new Triumph Tiger was a very close 2nd but a little too tall for me. I shall be avoiding premium clothing and Starbucks mind! The five-year-old RST Jacket is doing just fine and will be staying. Luckily my missus already has some Triumph textiles, Jacket/Pants and gloves, better quality than my gear. I bought it when Triumph was having an 80% discount sale on an outgoing range years ago, used once in 5 years! I just need to get her a helmet and boots thank God.

If I was going solo I would be tempted by that 850 Guzzi too, the green centenary paint job is something else.
 
Never had more than one motorcycle. Absolutely fell in love with the CB1100EX first time I saw it years ago. Ended up with a '14 Standard due to lack of availability of any EX near me for sale. Would still love one....or anything without carbs or black wheels!
Saw this on Facebook (not sure if a Forum member). Very cool mods. Think he'd trade?

 
Tev62_imp said:
Thanks all for the comments, yes, looking forward to it now. The new Triumph Tiger was a very close 2nd but a little too tall for me. I shall be avoiding premium clothing and Starbucks mind! The five-year-old RST Jacket is doing just fine and will be staying. Luckily my missus already has some Triumph textiles, Jacket/Pants and gloves, better quality than my gear. I bought it when Triumph was having an 80% discount sale on an outgoing range years ago, used once in 5 years! I just need to get her a helmet and boots thank God.

If I was going solo I would be tempted by that 850 Guzzi too, the green centenary paint job is something else.
My same thinkin' Tev. Guzzi always seems to hit "that green" just right on their current and past models.

(yummy)

 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good for you, dubs!

Now … 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 …
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's hope that is wrong.

Very decent Aprilia build quality and reliability used to be on par with Moto Guzzi. Of course, your mileage will vary. :-/
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations, look forward to the ride report. :biker:
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you will be fine. Aprilia is nowadays pretty solid. Plus you will have a warranty that covers any issues for the first few years, I assume.
The main thing is the distance to your dealer.

Congratulations!! Please show us a picture once it is in your garage!
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! What dealer did you get it from, Blackmans?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always said Italian bikes should come with a bag of marshmallows and skewers.

you should at least have a nice snack when it bursts into flames.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always said Italian bikes should come with a bag of marshmallows and skewers.

you should at least have a nice snack when it bursts into flames.
Must be thinkin' of Ducati?
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am very very tempted to pick up an Aprilia 660 Tuano Factory.

Pros-

light weight at 400 full tank ready to ride, w/ decent power- 100hp & just under 50tq

Upgraded fully adjustable suspension

Looks nice

Sounds nice

Supposed to be very comfortable

Supposed to be extremely fun to ride

Great gas mileage.

Every possible electronic gizmo you can think of- traction control, wheelie control, smart ABS, even headlights that aim as you go into a turn.


Con- questionable reliability.

Pulled the trigger. Wired the dealer the money today. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Let’s see how long until something breaks on it.
9654fd2df0f5627d7d4340fb9c5f819c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! What dealer did you get it from, Blackmans?

Yup. I actually have a Aprilia dealer here in NJ much closer...but Blackmans is where I bought my CB from so I went back to them.

Made it home with no issues.

This bike is a HUGE change from the CB- or anything else I have ever ridden for that matter.

The engine is rough feeling and sounding...but the exhaust note has a nice bark / growl if you hit it.

Hard to explain...it's like a crude tractor, but pulls well once at 6-7k, if not even a bit angry.

Grumble, grumble- RAGE. I guess like the Hulk- It's not docile then flip a switch- it's literally unhappy, then roar!

Around the same weight and power as my old FZR 600...but that bike felt smooth, just slow, until you got to higher revs. This bike feels- odd - and unhappy when the revs drop to about 5k.

Salesman even said- keep it at 6k minimum once you pull out.

So the bike wants 6 to redline- but by 6k my brain is hearing the noise and wants to shift. So I have to remind myself to keep looking at the dash to see where I am at...and 'cruising' at freeway speeds in 3rd is odd.

Doesn't help that 6k is right where there is a flat area- twitchy too- from being too lean for euro emissions. Definitely going to need some way to add fuel. I had read about that- but didn't realize that was right where I have to ride the bike (unless I want to be even higher RPM!)

Coming from the my CB that is smooth and will ride AND pull from anywhere in the RPM range- idle to redline.. this is going to take some getting used to.

Wind protections is great for such a small fairing. No buffeting. MUCH better at 80mph than the CB.

Seat is super comfy.

Knee bend is more extreme as expected.

Mirrors are meh.

Dash is fantastic.

Trans shifts great.

Brakes felt good for the little I had to use them.

Suspension is firmer but more comfortable than my CB if that makes sense- even with my CB having upgraded suspension front and rear.

Haven't tried cruise control or any of the controls other than the start button & turn signal yet. But there are a TON of options.
 
Good job, PowerDubs. I hope you enjoy your new ride a great deal. Personally, I think I’d struggle with a bike that needed to be ridden at 6,000 RPM.
 
Back
Top