What makes you prefer the 2014 DLX over the STD?

Thread starter
I started this thread because I thought it might be cheaper to just buy a 2013 and have the engine removed and vapor blasted sliver to give me what I want rather than buying a 2014 Deluxe, and it might be, but I think I'll just go with a 2014 -- it sounds a little too much trouble to go the former route.
 
When I'm in bliss riding those curvy tree lined roads through the hills and mountains of NH, MA and VT, I know I'm riding a CB but I would be hard pressed to tell which model and year from the riders seat. :)
 
EarsOnWheels_imp said:
Larger tank and ABS.

Can paint bikes any color you want. Engines and rims are a little more difficult though.
Agreed. If I absolutely had to have the silver engine, if possible I would: buy a DLX and then retro fit it with the 2013 STD tank and side panels and a STD seat and exhaust (sorry, but I'm keeping my Staintune).

In this scenario, I would have to give up one of my favorite features of my 2013 CB - the black wheels with the polished rims. However, if I was going with the silver engine then I think the silver wheels look best. I'd also mis the look of the 2013 instrument cluster. But this probably still better than pulling the engine and wheels on a 2013 STD and having them repainted. Maybe.

Jeez, I'm glad that I'm faced with such a dilemma, lol.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Was it Stephen Stills who wrote, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?"

This is such a wonderful first world problem. :D
 
Guth_imp said:
EarsOnWheels_imp said:
Larger tank and ABS.

Can paint bikes any color you want. Engines and rims are a little more difficult though.
Agreed. If I absolutely had to have the silver engine, if possible I would: buy a DLX and then retro fit it with the 2013 STD tank and side panels and a STD seat and exhaust (sorry, but I'm keeping my Staintune).

In this scenario, I would have to give up one of my favorite features of my 2013 CB - the black wheels with the polished rims. However, if I was going with the silver engine then I think the silver wheels look best. I'd also mis the look of the 2013 instrument cluster. But this probably still better than pulling the engine and wheels on a 2013 STD and having them repainted. Maybe.

Jeez, I'm glad that I'm faced with such a dilemma, lol.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. If I absolutely had to have the silver engine, if possible I would: buy a DLX and then retro fit it with the 2013 STD tank and side panels and a STD seat and exhaust (sorry, but I'm keeping my Staintune).

In this scenario, I would have to give up one of my favorite features of my 2013 CB - the black wheels with the polished rims. However, if I was going with the silver engine then I think the silver wheels look best. I'd also mis the look of the 2013 instrument cluster. But this probably still better than pulling the engine and wheels on a 2013 STD and having them repainted. Maybe.

Jeez, I'm glad that I'm faced with such a dilemma, lol.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, someone else prefers the 2013 cluster besides me...:excited:

As for me, I prefer the looks of the '14 dlx in red over the '14 standard in black.. I've owned almost exclusively black cars, and a few black bikes.. The CB Std in black doesn't flip any switches for me... It doesn't seem right and I can't explain it... I have a '13 that I got as the price was too good.. So I'd be torn between picking between the '13 and the '14 dlx.. Maybe it's the red, tho silver would be awesome.

I like all the stuff on the dlx, bigger tank, dual exhaust, maybe even the 6th gear.. I kinda like owning the '13, the 1st year in the US, the smaller tank and 5 speed don't bother me.. It seems that the '13 is a bit more raw and unrefined, and for some reason, I like that about mine... Maybe it's me and I'm mental.

It's not to say that I won't pick up a '14 dlx on the used market to replace my Harley as a 2nd bike, you know after folk upgrade to the newer ones.. :D
 
Thread starter
You *can* remove the engine and replace it if you've got a good shop near you. I'm just not sure I do. I'd be afraid they would scratch the frame or leave something slightly loose and rattling. I also couldn't ever find anything definite about cost. And then how long would I have to wait? Motorcycle shops are notorious about "disappearing" your bike for months.

But I do like the lighter weight of the 2013 STD, the smaller tank doesn't bother me, and like Guth and Hondahawkrider I prefer the look of the 2013 instrument cluster. But I do like that the 2014 Deluxe has a gear indicator.

As for the 2013 wheels, I always considered them to be silver so wouldn't have even bothered to have them changed. That inner belt of black just doesn't catch my eye -- the outer silver does.
 
My 2014 standard was was a total impulse buy. Saw the looks and the price and said why not. Only after committing to buy on EBay did I realize there was a deluxe. I was lucky in that the one I wanted was the cheapest. I just love the black on black.
 
4:2 , (Ive grown to appreciate the ABS lol) 6 speed....... larger tank and I lucked out with the color I preferred 2014 DLX white......

Ride on Brah...
 
I don't; my first thought when I saw the DLX: "they're trying too hard"...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top