What kind of oil is everybody running

Chaz34,
don't over think it, 10W30 and 10W40 are both just great in our CBs. The manual suggests that 10W30 is what you need when it's cold 20F to 50F and 10W40 for when it's warmer. I've used 10W30 when it's 100F and 10W40 when it's 50F - bike still works OK.
 
In Ontario, where I live and very often ride long distances, I always use Motul synthetic 10W40 + OEM filter = :thumbsup::D
This is my choice.

pb
 
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
 
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
Are they making Harley’s in Utah now?
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
Are they making Harley’s in Utah now?
Are they making Harley’s in Utah now?
Not Utah. And not Kansas City any more. Just York, PA. And India. :s
 
jedd_imp said:
When I 1st bought my bike, it came w/ the Honda GN4 10w-30 and honda filter.
about 1k miles later, TX summer heat was in full swing. And it was at that time that my motor started telling me very subtle things in which I wasn't hearing before. Shifting felt notchy, and I could hear it clunk loudly from gear to gear through my helmet. As a result, I was starting to think that I'm also hearing some gears whining while throttling up and down. I really couldn't tell for sure.

Then one day, I started it, and FOR SURE!- heard a new noise that sounded like cam chain noise. Like the cam chain is rubbing against the chain guide or against the side case. Well, long story short, I went with a thicker oil b/c it's just too darn hot down here to run 10w-30. And, one nice outcome is that the weird chain noise has never come back again.

So this is what I've been using for the past 1.5 yrs,
0dedd5aea5f7554faf173f6a3ddb9258.jpg


Yes, I could have bought the same viscosity in a m/c oil, but
I've had about 5 yrs of legacy data on this oil used in another m/c, and it's
held up unbelievably well. Far better than the M/C specific Bel-ray synthetic 10w-50 previously used in that m/c.

Also, this article I read:
Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils
reinforced my thoughts that there's more marketing than real data
to support a m/c specific oil. In addition, m/c oil has a HUGE markup. Dealers get them @ 40-50% below list price. So, when I pay $8-$10 a qt for m/c oil, am I getting 2x better protection than the car oil @ $4.50-$5/ qt?

I'm not advocating for anyone to go ahead and use what I'm using.
This works for me, so you got to decide what oil you're going to get w/ your money.
I'm just saying what's on my mind, really. :cool:
Was checking to see what my Walmart next door (literally) has in stock, and apparently Mobil 1 makes motorcycle-specific oil ... costs more though, at $9-something a quart.


And then there's Amazon with free shipping on this 4-quart jug of Pro Honda. :thumbsup:

 
zbillster_imp said:
jedd_imp said:
When I 1st bought my bike, it came w/ the Honda GN4 10w-30 and honda filter.
about 1k miles later, TX summer heat was in full swing. And it was at that time that my motor started telling me very subtle things in which I wasn't hearing before. Shifting felt notchy, and I could hear it clunk loudly from gear to gear through my helmet. As a result, I was starting to think that I'm also hearing some gears whining while throttling up and down. I really couldn't tell for sure.

Then one day, I started it, and FOR SURE!- heard a new noise that sounded like cam chain noise. Like the cam chain is rubbing against the chain guide or against the side case. Well, long story short, I went with a thicker oil b/c it's just too darn hot down here to run 10w-30. And, one nice outcome is that the weird chain noise has never come back again.

So this is what I've been using for the past 1.5 yrs,
0dedd5aea5f7554faf173f6a3ddb9258.jpg


Yes, I could have bought the same viscosity in a m/c oil, but
I've had about 5 yrs of legacy data on this oil used in another m/c, and it's
held up unbelievably well. Far better than the M/C specific Bel-ray synthetic 10w-50 previously used in that m/c.

Also, this article I read:
Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils
reinforced my thoughts that there's more marketing than real data
to support a m/c specific oil. In addition, m/c oil has a HUGE markup. Dealers get them @ 40-50% below list price. So, when I pay $8-$10 a qt for m/c oil, am I getting 2x better protection than the car oil @ $4.50-$5/ qt?

I'm not advocating for anyone to go ahead and use what I'm using.
This works for me, so you got to decide what oil you're going to get w/ your money.
I'm just saying what's on my mind, really. :cool:
Was checking to see what my Walmart next door (literally) has in stock, and apparently Mobil 1 makes motorcycle-specific oil ... costs more though, at $9-something a quart.


And then there's Amazon with free shipping on this 4-quart jug of Pro Honda. :thumbsup:
Hello Fellow Texan!! I'm currently running the Mobile 1 Racing 4T (AutoZone has it too). The bike FEELS smoother and shifts better. I did have my first oil temp alert pulling into my garage yesterday which made me a little nervous...

J
 
Are you sure it is the oil temp light? Oil would have to be 266F. If it did come on I think you are the first to report it happening.

Did the check engine (MIL) come on?
 
late chiming in but made my decision and " HOPE " i can pass on the best deal I found.
my CB 1100's oil looked clean at 2200 miles when i got my bike but i changed it to Honda's semi synthetic and also the next change . now at 7000 miles i will do the 4th oil change and go to 10/40 Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil . will also go synthetic the 1st oil change for my Valkyrie which is at 4000 miles so i ordered 9 qts for $89.73 from Walmart which was the best price i could find and 2 day free shipping.
will stay with Honda filters
 
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?

OTOH, my Moto Guzzi had 3:
1. Crankcase
2. Transmission (dry clutch)
3. Hub
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?

OTOH, my Moto Guzzi had 3:
1. Crankcase
2. Transmission (dry clutch)
3. Hub
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?
3. Transmission.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?

OTOH, my Moto Guzzi had 3:
1. Crankcase
2. Transmission (dry clutch)
3. Hub
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?
3. Transmission.
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?
3. Transmission.
On a Sportster, that is combined with the primary
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?

OTOH, my Moto Guzzi had 3:
1. Crankcase
2. Transmission (dry clutch)
3. Hub
10W-60 for the crankcase, if I recall. Not exactly sitting on the shelf at your local Walmart or Pep Boys, but the Euro-bike dealer would gladly sell you a few liters for $20 each. Fortunately, the V7 only held two liters.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
you know what? we don't realize how lucky we are with only one hole to fill. just go buy yourself a harley and all of a sudden you've got 3 holes to argue about what to put in them! argh!
1. Engine oil tank (dry sump)
2. Primary (clutch and primary chain)
What's the third?

OTOH, my Moto Guzzi had 3:
1. Crankcase
2. Transmission (dry clutch)
3. Hub
10W-60 for the crankcase, if I recall. Not exactly sitting on the shelf at your local Walmart or Pep Boys, but the Euro-bike dealer would gladly sell you a few liters for $20 each. Fortunately, the V7 only held two liters.
10W-60 Motoul, VERY expensive, but, as you noted, only 2 quarts.

The only 2 quarts was scary, as I rode at temps up to 117 F, but no issues.
 
I took my V7C to the dealer for the 600 mile service. He charged me for 4 liters of that pricey 10W-60 and refused to adjust my invoice after I showed him in the manual that the bike only took two liters. Not only did he lose my business, but so did Moto Guzzi.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I took my V7C to the dealer for the 600 mile service. He charged me for 4 liters of that pricey 10W-60 and refused to adjust my invoice after I showed him in the manual that the bike only took two liters. Not only did he lose my business, but so did Moto Guzzi.
I'd file a criminal complaint for fraud!

Engine: 2,000 cc of Motoul 7100 10/60
Gearbox: 450 cc of Motoul 75w90 (500 listed, but it will puke out)
Trans/hub: 175 cc of Castrol GL-5 85w140.

The only Las Vegas dealer of Moto Guzzi-Triumph-Aprilla, etc. is not a motorcyclist, but only a bean counter. The original brothers who owned it, were good guys, but they retired. When the new owner moved my V7II so he could park his Jaguar where I had parked, I yelled at him across the parking lot and it went downhill from there.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Are you sure it is the oil temp light? Oil would have to be 266F. If it did come on I think you are the first to report it happening.

Did the check engine (MIL) come on?
Not sure PopGun... Was pulling into the garage after a 30 minute ride in 97 degree heat, and it stalled and the temp light came on. I'm a newer owner so not sure. Did the stall cause the temp light or temp problem cause the stall, I could be over-reacting. But LOVE this da*n bike!!
 
last week changed my dealer the oil after round 6000km...obedient by honda owner manual :cool:

minimum on the bill is : 20W-50....I do not know what he has filled up the last 2x but I think the same......and yes i dont like high rpms i am seldom over 2500 -3000x...if yes, so i drove minimum already 20minutes and i dont drive my darlings if its realy cold outside......:biker:

or, 50 is of sure not wrong bcos our boy has rather very hot oil and 20 for my drivestyle

from this point of view: i dont care about the oil, its for me only a holy-religion :worship:...

important for me is: its frehs oil inside now....:P
 
Jeeves_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Are you sure it is the oil temp light? Oil would have to be 266F. If it did come on I think you are the first to report it happening.

Did the check engine (MIL) come on?
Not sure PopGun... Was pulling into the garage after a 30 minute ride in 97 degree heat, and it stalled and the temp light came on. I'm a newer owner so not sure. Did the stall cause the temp light or temp problem cause the stall, I could be over-reacting. But LOVE this da*n bike!!
Around here, 97 F is just warm.

I would not expect engine oil temperature to be a problem, unless perhaps the motor just idled for a very long time.

Was your 30 minute ride at very slow speeds?
 
Back
Top