What is there about the CB1100 that you don't like, or wish were different?

Frulk_imp said:
I ride a 2013.


What I don't like

1) Silver side covers matched with red tanks. (I replaced them..no longer a dislike)

2) 8,000 miles valve check.

3) Stock seats too hard. (I replaced it...no longer an issue)

Since the 6 speed tranny gets mentioned. I'm the odd man out. Once I heard the 2014 had a 6 speed I was convinced I needed that. Once I rode enough I realized for my style of riding (mostly secondary blacktop and mountain roads with altitude gain of 4,000+ feet in sections) I didn't need it. The 6th gear will keep the RPM's down on the slab rides (which I avoid) and maybe reduce the 'buzziness' in the handle bars that some folks have mentioned in other threads as being susceptible to. I'm apparently immune to the buzz issue and the 6th gear would just have me shifting more. I like the gear spacing of the 5 speed with torque being everywhere for roll on including fifth.
I changed the gearing on my '14 6 speed EX. I found it a bit tall and town riding was a bit tricky. I dropped the gearing quite a bit and liked it much more. I've never ridden a 5 speed so don't know if that's any better.
I used to have a Norton 850 Commando with only 4 gears and that pulled really strongly and cruised at 80 at sub 4000 rpm. Felt great and powerful at that speed in top. I'm always curious why my 1200 twin GS needs 6 gears and still cruises at higher rpm...
 
For me, on my 2013, Lack of a shift indicator. Easily remedied though.

And having to pull the cams to adjust valves.
And maybe the fact that Honda doesn’t sell the TPS separately.
 
My 2014 dislikes:

1* TOO small turn signal indicators, especially during sunny days , 2013 had good size
2* Turn signals, should have 2013 size
3* Cylindrical shape of grips, should have an oval type that has better palm fitment
4* Helmet lock, should have 2017 version
5* TOO small gas tank, already modified with 16.8 L OEM, perfect would be 19-20 L
6* Seat more comfy by 25%
** would love OEM 4x4 exhaust like Wyvern, WITH the center stand
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
I ride a 2013.


What I don't like

1) Silver side covers matched with red tanks. (I replaced them..no longer a dislike)

2) 8,000 miles valve check.

3) Stock seats too hard. (I replaced it...no longer an issue)

Since the 6 speed tranny gets mentioned. I'm the odd man out. Once I heard the 2014 had a 6 speed I was convinced I needed that. Once I rode enough I realized for my style of riding (mostly secondary blacktop and mountain roads with altitude gain of 4,000+ feet in sections) I didn't need it. The 6th gear will keep the RPM's down on the slab rides (which I avoid) and maybe reduce the 'buzziness' in the handle bars that some folks have mentioned in other threads as being susceptible to. I'm apparently immune to the buzz issue and the 6th gear would just have me shifting more. I like the gear spacing of the 5 speed with torque being everywhere for roll on including fifth.
I changed the gearing on my '14 6 speed EX. I found it a bit tall and town riding was a bit tricky. I dropped the gearing quite a bit and liked it much more. I've never ridden a 5 speed so don't know if that's any better.
I used to have a Norton 850 Commando with only 4 gears and that pulled really strongly and cruised at 80 at sub 4000 rpm. Felt great and powerful at that speed in top. I'm always curious why my 1200 twin GS needs 6 gears and still cruises at higher rpm...
I changed the gearing on my '14 6 speed EX. I found it a bit tall and town riding was a bit tricky. I dropped the gearing quite a bit and liked it much more. I've never ridden a 5 speed so don't know if that's any better.
I used to have a Norton 850 Commando with only 4 gears and that pulled really strongly and cruised at 80 at sub 4000 rpm. Felt great and powerful at that speed in top. I'm always curious why my 1200 twin GS needs 6 gears and still cruises at higher rpm...

drive economically and environmentally conscious.......and use the wonderful torque...or are the public streets your racecourse ?

for example our CB : for cruising in town/village is the stock 6th gear wonderful too, the engine turns softly round ....( at 50km/h-30ml/h)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
My 2014 dislikes:

1* TOO small turn signal indicators, especially during sunny days , 2013 had good size
2* Turn signals, should have 2013 size
3* Cylindrical shape of grips, should have an oval type that has better palm fitment
4* Helmet lock, should have 2017 version
5* TOO small gas tank, already modified with 16.8 L OEM, perfect would be 19-20 L
6* Seat more comfy by 25%
** would love OEM 4x4 exhaust like Wyvern, WITH the center stand
No tiny LED turn signal pho you! :P
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
My 2014 dislikes:

1* TOO small turn signal indicators, especially during sunny days , 2013 had good size
2* Turn signals, should have 2013 size
3* Cylindrical shape of grips, should have an oval type that has better palm fitment
4* Helmet lock, should have 2017 version
5* TOO small gas tank, already modified with 16.8 L OEM, perfect would be 19-20 L
6* Seat more comfy by 25%
** would love OEM 4x4 exhaust like Wyvern, WITH the center stand
No tiny LED turn signal pho you! :P
No tiny LED turn signal pho you! :P
Maybe I'm too easily satisfied, but there isn't anything about my '14 that I don't like - or at least anything the bothers me at all.
But I suppose I could nit-pick some things if I really wanted to.

This wasn't supposed to be a reply to these posts but rather a new post alone.
Looks like I goofed and made a slip - (insert embarrassed face).
I thought it better to add a postscript rather than get into a possible mess by trying to delete it.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
My 2014 dislikes:

1* TOO small turn signal indicators, especially during sunny days , 2013 had good size
2* Turn signals, should have 2013 size
3* Cylindrical shape of grips, should have an oval type that has better palm fitment
4* Helmet lock, should have 2017 version
5* TOO small gas tank, already modified with 16.8 L OEM, perfect would be 19-20 L
6* Seat more comfy by 25%
** would love OEM 4x4 exhaust like Wyvern, WITH the center stand
Peter, I must be missing something. I had the '14 standard and thought it was easy; the '17ex is a pain unless I'm...missing something, or maybe it's my helmet. The helmet d-ring barely reaches the locking mechanism and I have to make a few contortions for that to even get close. The locking mechanism is too far recessed in my view. Small detail though.
 
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
My 2014 dislikes:

1* TOO small turn signal indicators, especially during sunny days , 2013 had good size
2* Turn signals, should have 2013 size
3* Cylindrical shape of grips, should have an oval type that has better palm fitment
4* Helmet lock, should have 2017 version
5* TOO small gas tank, already modified with 16.8 L OEM, perfect would be 19-20 L
6* Seat more comfy by 25%
** would love OEM 4x4 exhaust like Wyvern, WITH the center stand
Peter, I must be missing something. I had the '14 standard and thought it was easy; the '17ex is a pain unless I'm...missing something, or maybe it's my helmet. The helmet d-ring barely reaches the locking mechanism and I have to make a few contortions for that to even get close. The locking mechanism is too far recessed in my view. Small detail though.
Peter, I must be missing something. I had the '14 standard and thought it was easy; the '17ex is a pain unless I'm...missing something, or maybe it's my helmet. The helmet d-ring barely reaches the locking mechanism and I have to make a few contortions for that to even get close. The locking mechanism is too far recessed in my view. Small detail though.

Pdedse... Get one of the T holders that Goldwing riders used to use to lock their helmets to their bikes and your troubles will be over. About $10. It's made helmet locking to the bike so much easier for me.
 
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
My 2014 dislikes:

1* TOO small turn signal indicators, especially during sunny days , 2013 had good size
2* Turn signals, should have 2013 size
3* Cylindrical shape of grips, should have an oval type that has better palm fitment
4* Helmet lock, should have 2017 version
5* TOO small gas tank, already modified with 16.8 L OEM, perfect would be 19-20 L
6* Seat more comfy by 25%
** would love OEM 4x4 exhaust like Wyvern, WITH the center stand
Peter, I must be missing something. I had the '14 standard and thought it was easy; the '17ex is a pain unless I'm...missing something, or maybe it's my helmet. The helmet d-ring barely reaches the locking mechanism and I have to make a few contortions for that to even get close. The locking mechanism is too far recessed in my view. Small detail though.
Peter, I must be missing something. I had the '14 standard and thought it was easy; the '17ex is a pain unless I'm...missing something, or maybe it's my helmet. The helmet d-ring barely reaches the locking mechanism and I have to make a few contortions for that to even get close. The locking mechanism is too far recessed in my view. Small detail though.
Possible in your case....my helmet has a ratchet type strap/lock, and I always use a special adapter to lock it... what I specifically did not like about helmet lock of "13 & '14 models was a metal strap hook, that can easily be pried out , even by a small screwdriver..., 2017 has a solid pin

c240eb7b5cbc848f75d22ff2a00c90c4.jpg
 
Don't mind the "short" helmet clasp of the '14 CB. Once you figure it out it is pretty benign to use. The advantage I like about the clasp is it keeps the helmet tight against the CB. With the helmet visor closed, rain water and bird droppings stay out of your bucket. :)
 
More accessories available from Honda
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Don't mind the "short" helmet clasp of the '14 CB. Once you figure it out it is pretty benign to use. The advantage I like about the clasp is it keeps the helmet tight against the CB. With the helmet visor closed, rain water and bird droppings stay out of your bucket. :)
In my case, I do not ride with a spare helmet, I only lock my own when parked.
:D
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Don't mind the "short" helmet clasp of the '14 CB. Once you figure it out it is pretty benign to use. The advantage I like about the clasp is it keeps the helmet tight against the CB. With the helmet visor closed, rain water and bird droppings stay out of your bucket. :)
In my case, I do not ride with a spare helmet, I only lock my own when parked.
:D
In my case, I do not ride with a spare helmet, I only lock my own when parked.
:D
That is the only time I use the clasp is when parked (and not using the top box).
 
The ferret_imp said:
What don't I like about the CB 1100? Geez I like pretty much everything about this bike. Guess that's why I've bought two of them. The DLX is my favorite iteration, although the 17 ex is growing on me. I think the 13 std looks the sportiest. The 14 dlx looks the most classic. My least favorite is the RS model.

Ok I thought of somethings I don't like, I don't like mis matched side covers and tank on some of the models and I don't like stainless steel headers.

Other than that, I'm good with what Honda did.
I think you've about covered it!

Bob
 
I think my DLX is a bit heavy but I wouldn't trade lighter weight for plastic fenders, single-wall exhaust, cheaper build quality, etc. I would have preferred spokes if that option were available. Otherwise, zero complaints.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I think my DLX is a bit heavy but I wouldn't trade lighter weight for plastic fenders, single-wall exhaust, cheaper build quality, etc. I would have preferred spokes if that option were available. Otherwise, zero complaints.
Good summary. The '14 DLX weighs 570 lbs. and feels it sometimes, mostly in parking lots and on technical roads. But it's gorgeous and everywhere else it hides that heft pretty well.
 
I wish the tank was bigger on my 2014 Standard and no the pregnant guppy look of the Deluxe tank wont work for me. I wish the bike had spoke wheels right out of the box,would have saved me $1500 and I wished the bike had an ambient temperature gauge. And I HATE the black wheels! But now that I have the bike pretty much setup like I want I absolutely love the thing.
 
I won a red 17'RS, and I am not 100% happy about the looks of the taillight and the horns: too much chrome for the looks of this bike. I'd also preffer black shocks and fork instead of the gold and yellow.

Small details, but globaly: a great bike :D
 
Back
Top